NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kirkatronics

Suspersticious

Are you supersticious, do you believe in luck?

Theres something i do, like salute single Magpies, but most are just silly little things.

What supersticions do you have?

Urm, I don't walk under signs and stuff, you know I pavements, with the two metal/wooden poles with a sign on top....even if I have to go into the road to avoid it XD

I think that may be the only one, oh no wait! I have to uncross knives and forks if I see them crossed on a plate or something.

Theres something i do, like salute single Magpies

Is that supposed to bring luck or something? I've never heard of that one before.

we make our own luck. so no, i dont have any supersticions, lucky routines or the such.

i do avoid walking under things that may drop and kill me, such as scafolding with workmen busy ontop, but thats just sensible.

"Wise men make their own luck"

I, for one, find it hard to see how touching wood after saying something hopeful can possibly effect the outcome, bar in a psychological manner.

"Wise men make their own luck"

I, for one, find it hard to see how touching wood after saying something hopeful can possibly effect the outcome, bar in a psychological manner.

20 years old and I still laugh at those words.

As for superstitions I don't have any.

Touché.

I like believing that silly little things (even those I made up myself :p) can give me luck. Gives me confidence.

I don't walk in front of moving cars.

Seems to have brought me luck so far.

I have to uncross knives and forks if I see them crossed on a plate or something.

Hmm, never heard of that one. You wouldn't like our formal halls - people cross a knife and fork to indicate when a space has been taken.

Anyway, I'd like to think I have transient thoughts of superstition but deep down think it's rubbish. In reality I'm probably a little bit more influenced than that, but only to the extent sufficient for admittance to the human race. Incidentally, there are some cool studies to do with superstitious behaviour of pigeons in Skinner boxes that suggest some kind of explanation for such things.

i read in focus recently (bbc science magazine, a cracking read. i enthusiscticaly recomend it to any one) that there is no such thing as luck. however, viewing oneself as lucky is more likly to lead to more "lucky" events in life. in essence, you view more events as lucky whilst some one who views themself as unlucky is more likly to have more "bad luck events"

in essence a lucky person is more likly to put emphesis on events when luck was on their side, and vise versa.

its all just chance and how you look at things.

Is that supposed to bring luck or something? I've never heard of that one before.

Its to prevent bad luck.

One for sorrow, 2 for joy. Only salute one and you can be on your way.

i read in focus recently (bbc science magazine, a cracking read. i enthusiscticaly recomend it to any one) that there is no such thing as luck. however, viewing oneself as lucky is more likly to lead to more "lucky" events in life. in essence, you view more events as lucky whilst some one who views themself as unlucky is more likly to have more "bad luck events"

in essence a lucky person is more likly to put emphesis on events when luck was on their side, and vise versa.

its all just chance and how you look at things.

Surely thats confidence then, just your in denial about it.

Urm, I don't walk under signs and stuff, you know I pavements, with the two metal/wooden poles with a sign on top....even if I have to go into the road to avoid it XD

I think that may be the only one, oh no wait! I have to uncross knives and forks if I see them crossed on a plate or something.

I never cross my knife and fork, but i got brought up knowing it was a rude gesture to the cook.

Though I'm open to the unexplained and such, I'm still generally skeptical, and luck is one thing I've never believed in.

I only do the ones which are common sense. Like "Don't walk under ladders".

Want to hear something funny?

This mispelling of superstitious is so bad that if you google 'suspersticious' you actually get this thread as the first result. Honestly.

Want to hear something funny?

This mispelling of superstitious is so bad that if you google 'suspersticious' you actually get this thread as the first result. Honestly.

Haha, i did it on a purpose just in case someone needed to find it quickly in future.

:hmm:

Apparently so. My housemate also tends to greet the magpie too, but dunno if thats part of it or just a weird quirk.

Personally the only one I do is touch wood but im not sure why (other than my natural use-hands-while-talking-ness anyway). The rest I can't be bothered with. But my housemate does all of them and it just seems like a lot of effort.

Apparently putting a silver spoon in the top of (I think it was a) champagne bottle is good luck...::shrug:

Two consecutive Friday the 13ths this year, and another one in November.

I think its an omen *hides*

I don't really follow any superstitions tbh. I'd rather walk under a ladder than walk on the road and get run over by a car :heh:

I try not to walk on those three-piece drains or whatever they are. Dunno why, think someone said it was bad luck, i believed them and have avoided them ever since haha. I'm also a bit funny about pavement cracks. Dunno why, its not a superstition, just dont like stepping on too many cracks, or unevenly steeping on more cracks with my left foot than my right =/

I obviously dont walk under ladders or dangerous scaffolding etc, but thats common sense as previously said.

I dont salute single magpies, but i try to remember what to say. Its something like "sorry for your loss" isn't it? Poor things.

A pigeon once crapped on my shoulder and it ended up being a good day, so who knows, maybe that superstition is true.

I always put my left sock on first too. I think i saw someone doing it the other way round and i was like, thats weird. I dont think its superstitious, just natural. We write from left to right so, its like normal progression isn't it?

A pigeon once crapped on my shoulder, too. It turned what was an average day into a bad day, especially as the public toilets were closed so I couldn't wash it off. It also happened to me during a go tournament once, although that was all down my front - I had to go back and change, so was late for the next round, but won anyway. But that wasn't luck, it was just being better than my opponent. I lost all but one of the other games in that tournament.

I never get bad luck on Friday the 13th, I usually get bad luck the day after, lol.

But yesterday was awesome so I was very lucky, lmao.

I'm just paranoid that the cats are going to get me. :)

I'm not crazy at all, so I don't have any superstions!

What made me laugh is when I got Tarot cards, a real test of a man's steel, I asked whether people wanted to give it a go and yet they were unwilling to try but they had stated previously that they thought these cards were just silly or that they were not superstious at all!

I have a weird superstition that I won't wear my Villa shirt on a matchday because it might cause them to lose. I'm wearing it at the moment and we're currently losing 2-1 in a match.

But that doesn't seem to matter whenever I go down the Villa to watch them play. I always wear a Villa shirt when I go and I have a pretty decent spectator record of: Seen 12, Won 7, Drawn 3, Lost 2.

Btw, it's 3-1 now. SeewhaddImean?

Sign in to follow this