Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me like the motavation was just to have a car win for the sponsers etc rather than to inflate Alonso's ego.

I dont think he had anything to do with it. They would have probalby asked him to crash if they thaught that the two drivers had been reversed.

Not sure if I read the article you linked to correctly but I'm pretty sure it said he was cleared of any involvement?

That's the thing though...his name ALWAYS comes up in these things but then he's "cleared of any involvement". I genuinely believe that the whole story never gets told...

I'm sorry, I know the guy is always never to blame (apparently) but I'm so curious as to why is so often referenced as being at the heart of a problem and then suddenly he's exonerated.

The championship is purely in Button's hands now. It's his to lose for sure now. I don't think Barrichello can pull this back since they have the same car and 5 points per race is quite a margin to claw back. He'll be rueing his bad starts by the end of this season.

An Unusual podium to be sure, apart from the winner, which i think we all thought from the start. Well done to Glock, showing he has some potential. But Shame for Rosberg since he could have won that race. Shame for Vettel as well but Vettel brought that drive through on himself.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Button's been very lucky this year. Every time he's left the door open his rivals have somehow managed to find a wall. Figuratively speaking.

Silly season update: Alonso-Ferrari announcement expected soon, possibly before next weeks Japanese GP. Meanwhile Whitmarsh isn't very good at not saying anything about Raikkonen-McLaren. I think we're just waiting for it all to happen at this point.

Ferrari are poised to announce that double world champion Fernando Alonso will join the team for 2010.

The Spaniard, 28, has signed a two-year contract with options to extend and will earn a salary in the region of 19-25 million euros (£17.3m-£22.8m).

The deal, which has been widely expected in Formula 1 for some time, is likely to be announced this weekend at the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka.

He will partner Felipe Massa, with Kimi Raikkonen tipped to move to McLaren

We're just waiting for the official announcement now. It's going to be fascinating to see how the dominoes start to fall.

"Dirty Cheating Spaniard Fernando Alonso To Move To More Underhand Team"

I'm sorry, but controversy seems to follow this guy everywhere. Ferrari always cry "foul" whenever someone else steps an inch out of line, it should help divert attention from their new cheating addition.

ALONSO TO FERRARI CONFIRMED FOR 3 YEARS!

Ferrari have announced that double world champion Fernando Alonso will join them for 2010 from Renault, replacing Kimi Raikkonen.

Ferrari said the Spaniard had signed a three-year contract and that he would partner Brazilian Felipe Massa.

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali described Alonso, world champion in 2005-6, as an "amazing talent".

Raikkonen said: "I am very sad to be leaving a team with which I have spent three fantastic years."

The Finn, who won the drivers' title in his first year at Ferrari in 2007, is tipped to be join McLaren.

As part of the cascade of driver moves that will follow Alonso's switch, Pole Robert Kubica is understood to have already signed a contract to replace Alonso at Renault.

The 28-year-old's switch to Ferrari has been an open secret in F1 for weeks and BBC Sport understands he signed his contract as long ago as July 2008.

A Ferrari source says there are options to extend Alonso's deal, and that he will be earning an annual salary in the region of 19-25 million euros (£17.3-22.8m).

Raikkonen had a contract with Ferrari until the end of 2010, but the team have negotiated an early release. Italian Giancarlo Fisichella will be Ferrari's reserve driver.

Domenicali said: "Of course, we wish to thank Kimi for everything he has done during his time with Ferrari.

"In his first year with us, he managed to win the drivers' title, thus making his contribution to Ferrari's history and he played a vital role in our taking of the constructors' title in 2007 and 2008.

"Even during a difficult season like this one, he has demonstrated his great talent, with several good results, including a great win in Spa and we are sure that we can share more good times together in the final three races of this season."

Raikkonen added: "With common consent, we have agreed to terminate the contract binding me to Ferrari to the end of 2010, one year ahead of schedule.

"I have always felt at home with everyone here and I will have many happy memories of my time with the team."

Ferrari's statement did not include any remarks from Alonso, who is in Japan ahead of this weekend's grand prix.

The most successful active driver in F1, Alonso signed his Ferrari contract as long ago as July 2008, according to sources close to the team.

Ferrari had been planning to announce it at the end of the season, but it had become such common knowledge that the Italian team have decided to bring that forward.

The move brings to an end Alonso's relationship with the Renault team, for whom he has driven in all but two of his eight years in F1.

He was cleared of any involvement in the recent race-fixing scandal, in which Renault were found to have asked his team-mate Nelson Piquet Jr to crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to aid Alonso's chances of victory.

Team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering director Pat Symonds left the team in the wake of Renault's decision not to contest the charges.

But an investigation by governing body the FIA found no evidence that Alonso, who did go on to win the race, knew of the conspiracy.

Alonso made his F1 debut for Minardi in 2001, moved to Renault as their test driver in 2002 and was promoted to their race team in 2003.

He became the youngest race-winner in F1 history when he won the 2003 Hungarian Grand Prix, and its youngest world champion when he won his first drivers' title in 2005.

He has since lost those two records to Sebastian Vettel, who broke the win mark in Italy in 2008, and Lewis Hamilton when he became world champion last year.

Alonso went on to win a second consecutive championship in 2006, beating Ferrari's Michael Schumacher in a straight fight, before moving to McLaren as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate in 2007.

Alonso signed a three-year contract with McLaren, but he left after one season following a tempestuous relationship with the team. Hamilton and Alonso finished the season tied on points just a point behind the champion, Raikkonen.

Alonso rejoined Renault for 2008, winning in Singapore and, with one of his best performances, the following race in Japan, but the team have been uncompetitive this season.

Let the floodgates open!

Edit:

According to Autosport.com...

Barrichello > Williams (in talks)

Rosberg > Brawn

Raikkonen > McLaren

I hope that Glock, Kubica and Sutil all have drives next year because they are all highly talented young drivers that more than deserve a drive at a good team. It seems as though Sutil will be staying with Force India.

Rumours are that new Team Lotus will sign Alex Yoong or at least one Malaysian driver;

Toro Roso will be keeping the same line up of Alguesuari and Buemi

Toyota will probably pull out of the sport in the next few weeks :(

Edited by Nicktendo

Barrichello at Williams will be a good fit alongside Hulkenberg. Wonder if Nakajima will manage to land somewhere.

Also Kubica > Renault is widely expected. Things are starting to fall into place.

Lewis + Kimi Vs. Alonso + Massa is going to be ass-rippingly awesome.

Edited by gaggle64

Is the barichellos doing or Brawns. I know he had a paddy earlier in the season. But i would say hes mad to leave Brawn for Williams of his own choice.

It'll be thanks to Mercedes - buying into Brawn and wanting a German driver in the lineup. I think Brawn wouldn't mind getting their hands on a solid front runner like Rosberg either.

As long as Kimi ends up back at McLaren now I'll be extremely happy!!

I've been so impressed at McLaren's ability to turn their car around this year, and I reckon they'll have the best car on the grid next year.

I was starting to get a little worried that Kimi might stay at Ferrari because to me, Ferrari seem to have a few fuel consumption issues, and with no refuelling next year they may find themselves carrying a slightly bigger tank than normal in that car.

Coupled with the Mercedes engine going from strength to strength.

With Alonso's track record I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a return to the 'old' Ferrari... they've been a far more approachable team these last few years, but we may well see a few dirty tricks and tactics re-emerge.

Alonso v Massa v Kimi v Hamilton... now that's what I like to see!! None of this half assed lucky Jenson season.

Found the Singapore race to be pretty dull, however I thought qualifying was awesome. Guess it's the same as Monaco in that way, and I still cant believe how incredible the racetrack looks... love the helicopter shots!!

REALLY looking forward to Sazuka!! Can't wait!!

Hope the BBC show Kimi's 2005 win as part of the Classic GP's. That's possibly my favorite race ever!!

Edited by Retro_Link