NEurope
Jav_NE

The Wrasslin' thread

A lot of the rumbles in recent years have been garbage due to WWE telegraphing who was going to win the thing and who the mystery entries were going to be. It ruined any kind of excitement and surprise from the show.

Last one I remember being pleasantly surprised by was Nakamura.

They also need to stop pointing to the fucking Wrestlemania sign. It looks crappy every single time.

• Haha 3

So, who watched the Rumble?

Spoiler

Having Charlotte winning the Women's Rumble, meh.  Wasn't happy with this result as she didn't need the win, but probably only got it to keep Ric happy.  Honestly should have been someone from NXT personally, but that's just me.   Thought for a second they might do a double with Mighty Molly as one entrant and Molly as another (ala 3 faces of Foley from Rumble past).

Daniel Bryan vs The Fiend.  Actually thought this was a decent match overall, but i can't see this feud going much further unless it's inside Hell in a Cell

Men's Rumble, Brock literally dominated until Drew McIntyre came out.  Could tell the fans were happy to have Brock eliminated and not go on to win.  Nice to see MVP making an appearance (all but brief).  Apparently he's on a short term deal with the WWE as he was on RAW last night, so watch this space, but the big one was Edge.  After 2011 and being told to retire, thought he could never come back.  But he was taking bump after bump, but obviously protecting his neck.  Did hear AEW were trying to get him, but WWE offered more and he took their deal.  Heard he's going to be a special attraction, which makes sense.  Nice to have Drew win, and he's going to Mania to face Brock.

Becky vs Asuka was a highlight for me.  Great match, but with Charlotte winning the Rumble it's looking set to be Becky vs Charlotte and we can probably guess whose going to win this one.

The Smackdown Women's match was a little meh, but can't blame it as it followed the Women's Rumble.

Reigns vs Corbin.  I'm a fan of Baron Corbin, but this match was close to fast forwarded.

On 28/01/2020 at 11:01 AM, Jimbob said:

So, who watched the Rumble?

Thoughts (spoilers) (Reveal hidden contents)

Having Charlotte winning the Women's Rumble, meh.  Wasn't happy with this result as she didn't need the win, but probably only got it to keep Ric happy.  Honestly should have been someone from NXT personally, but that's just me.   Thought for a second they might do a double with Mighty Molly as one entrant and Molly as another (ala 3 faces of Foley from Rumble past).

Daniel Bryan vs The Fiend.  Actually thought this was a decent match overall, but i can't see this feud going much further unless it's inside Hell in a Cell

Men's Rumble, Brock literally dominated until Drew McIntyre came out.  Could tell the fans were happy to have Brock eliminated and not go on to win.  Nice to see MVP making an appearance (all but brief).  Apparently he's on a short term deal with the WWE as he was on RAW last night, so watch this space, but the big one was Edge.  After 2011 and being told to retire, thought he could never come back.  But he was taking bump after bump, but obviously protecting his neck.  Did hear AEW were trying to get him, but WWE offered more and he took their deal.  Heard he's going to be a special attraction, which makes sense.  Nice to have Drew win, and he's going to Mania to face Brock.

Becky vs Asuka was a highlight for me.  Great match, but with Charlotte winning the Rumble it's looking set to be Becky vs Charlotte and we can probably guess whose going to win this one.

The Smackdown Women's match was a little meh, but can't blame it as it followed the Women's Rumble.

Reigns vs Corbin.  I'm a fan of Baron Corbin, but this match was close to fast forwarded.

I agree with your thoughts on the event.  I thought Becky vs Asuka was hard-hitting and excellent, just a shame it was the one match the crowd didn’t fully get into.

I was disappointed with the Women’s winner for the same reasons, but the swerve this week with her choice is more the better for me.

Ok guys. Opportunity for someone. I have a spare ticket to the NXT UK show in Coventry on the 7th March. Mate cancelled on me and I haven’t been able to find someone else who wants to go. I’m not asking for money for the ticket just that you can get there and want it. Anyone interested please let me know. I know it’s only a months notice. 

Been slowly working my way through Bret Hart’s autobiography lately and just got to Owen Hart’s death. Already starting to tear up so I’ve got to stop until I can carry on reading later in private.

Just finished the book and fuck me that was a depressing last couple of chapters.

I highly recommend giving the book a read though. Yes Bret talks a bit too much about how great people thought he was but I found I mostly just laughed that off and got sucked into reading about his life in wrestling and his family. As a kid he was my first “favourite” wrestler so it was great to finally get around to reading this.

• Like 3

I read it a little while back and totally agree it's well worth a read. I stopped watching for the first time around 95/96 when he was at the top of his game and by the time I picked it up again around 99 he was gone. Didn't think too much about it given how different it all became over those years, and having no interest in WCW I never really heard too much other than the headlines.

I find the wrestling books super interesting as there is such insight to what was going on behind the scenes from things you didn't give much additional thought to as a kid. It's kind of crazy how messed up everything got for him at the end of his career and generally how unlucky he seemed to be, just when you think things are on the up theres some other huge personal disaster for him.

Yeah with stuff like New Japan and AEW pulling me back in the last few years I’ve been enjoying going back and watching old PPVs (doing it mostly through the OSW YouTube channel) and reading some books. Next one planned is Jericho’s first book as I hear his are some of the best.

• Like 1

The Undertaker and AJ Styles will do battle on the grandest stage of them all! ;)

And maybe John Cena is going against Goldberg, to ultimately be putting him over. :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

The Undertaker and AJ Styles will do battle on the grandest stage of them all! ;)

And maybe John Cena is going against Goldberg, to ultimately be putting him over. :D

Where have you heard the Taker/Styles match? Don’t really fancy Cena v Goldberg either, never been a fan of Goldberg and hate that he’s in a title match at the Saudi show. He better not win. 

Soz jumping and doing cardinal sin of next checking thread proper; i'm poss a month or so behind but anybody here follow AEW much?

32 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Soz jumping and doing cardinal sin of next checking thread proper; i'm poss a month or so behind but anybody here follow AEW much?

Yeah I do.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I do.

As a bigger wrestling guy than me(i inherit the passion by osmosis around a friend of mine; he does all the shiz) how are you finding AEW yourself? Maybe in particular comparison to WWE? I've seen C5 are carrying Raw highlights now too curiously

19 minutes ago, Rummy said:

As a bigger wrestling guy than me(i inherit the passion by osmosis around a friend of mine; he does all the shiz) how are you finding AEW yourself? Maybe in particular comparison to WWE? I've seen C5 are carrying Raw highlights now too curiously

Overall I’m really enjoying it. I think they still struggle with some hit and miss stories/characters but for me the quality of everything else is much higher. I follow write ups of WWE but haven’t watched anything from them other than gifs in probably over a year now. The place is full of massively talented people that are just wasted.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I hope a few more move over to AEW(hear its got another year in its belly now?) deffo agree hit and miss but finding their feet. Need to up the female bracket and talent a bit more(Dr Britt Brubaker is a Queen for her gimmick tho; just real fucking amazing and i dunno if I had a daughter I'd well be happy encouraging her into a mixed career of dentistry and wrasslin' :p) and iron out a few kinks but I do find it a abit more...enjoyable? Sometimes matches might drag but oh man when they do plot twists they on the whole seem to do well in hitting the mark(no pun :p). I think its gonna grow into a real shining jewel that hopefully revives and reinvigoratwz the Pro Wrestling fanbase; both old and new!

I think the women’s division suffers a bit more than the men’s because a lot of their more talented lot, the joshis travel between the US and Japan a lot so aren’t available as much. Not gonna lie, I’m totally in love with Hikaru Shida :p 

• Thanks 1

Ngl kinda bad with the asians/womens generally. I think I know Emi Sakura with the Freddie Mercury vibe and Riho but can't say too much of the actual wrestling sticks with me. I remember quite a while back Emi Sakura matched against a black lady and they did a lovely work with her mic stand; her opponent and the ref. Think she threw a slick kick then took the stand of the ref and mocked her. Those tight little moments are what I like in AEW - tiny theatrics here and there. I think that's also something that's gonna evolve over time as particular athletes find they work well together etc. can suggest some potential stories etc off of that - there does seem to be more creative allowance in the hands of the talent themselves and I do think that'a showing through with some nice little in-ring routines and flashy moves for those comfortable to work it together(kinda imagine less stiff incidents etc from this too).

• Like 1

I've been watching AEW since Dynamite started after the missus was following the build up last year through the PPVs. I haven't watched wrestling since the early 2000s (I think Wrestlemania 20 is when I dropped out) but I've been loving what I've watched so far, to the point I'm even catching up on Dark when its put up weekly along with Being The Elite on YouTube.

The inability of WWE to properly give their newer talent the run they deserved and generally poor writing across the board wore on me and I see and hear it's still the case now. Watching AEW Dynamite was like watching WCW again and it's been great.

The talent they've brought together is great, such a good mix of genuine heel characters (like MJF and Pac) and great babyface ones too (like Orange Cassidy, Omega or the Young Bucks). Sure, some of the writing has been spotty at times, especially last year with things like the Nightmare Collective (thankfully that's been put to bed), but this year I feel they've really knocked it out of the park week on week and have definitely been building up their talent well, especially in the Men's division.

The women's division does need some extra work as you do keep seeing a few too many jobber matches (pretty much everything Britt Baker has been doing recently as part of her story turn) and some matches where the two wrestlers maybe needed more time tow work together to make it a smoother match but that's stuff that'll be ironed out. Adding Statlander and Big Swole to the roster was a great move and building them up alongside the likes of Hikaru Shida (I've yet to see anyone who isnt a fan of hers, she's just great), Shanna and their current champion Nyla Rose can do wonders for that division. They just need to sort their stories and it would help elevate it (why they haven't run with the Nyla Rosa/Shanna feud that they did briefly on Dark I'll never know).

The Men's and Tag divisions are pretty solid I'd say. They're building up the right people and pushing the right teams. I get some people want it to happen a bit quicker but then introducing the second show later this year will help a lot with fleshing out some of the more fringe teams and give them more lime light. Big fan of the current Page vs. The Elite thing they have going on, the reinvented Dark Order (hopefully we'll find out soon enough whether it really is Mayt Hardy as the Exalted One to put the whole everyone going on about it to bed) and the just generally love the mix of tag teams.

One area where they definitely need to work on is getting new talent in and signed. They've let some great indie talent slip them by apparently because they thought those wrestlers would come speak to them (like Chris Bey and Marty Scurll) but with signings like Lance Archer (who I suspect will very quickly be put against Moxley as a feud) and Colt Cabana and rumours of Luke Harper coming across, they seem to be moving in the right direction.

But yeah, I'm loving what they're doing so far. Revolution is the first PPV I've bought since Wrestlemania 20 and it was great. Can't wait for Blood and Guts (their version of Wargames) and to see where they take things.

• Like 3

I hope it doesn't take them too long to either get their own streaming service or latch onto someone elses. After using ones like the WWE Network or New Japan World I can't go back to paying for PPVs the old way.

On 02/03/2020 at 1:16 PM, Happenstance said:

I hope it doesn't take them too long to either get their own streaming service or latch onto someone elses. After using ones like the WWE Network or New Japan World I can't go back to paying for PPVs the old way.

How are ITV/UK handling AEW PPVs atm?

5 hours ago, Rummy said:

How are ITV/UK handling AEW PPVs atm?

You have to get them on fite.tv. ITV Box Office did used to have them as well but it’s gone now. Closed in January.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Thanks 1

So here’s a thought, with the whole Coronavirus going on and WrestleMania only 4 weeks away, what are the chances that it gets postponed or cancelled? I can’t see Vince letting it happen (so much money involved) but it’s 10s of thousands of people in one place.