NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dwarf

inFAMOUS

Pleasantly surprised after playing this. Really enjoyed it, I thought the controls were good and the graphics were pretty good. More exciting was the new Uncharted 2 MP Beta video which just looked amazing so yeah, might buy this.

Gonna have to play this tomorrow. Can't believe I didn't download it earlier, didn't realise it would be put up today! My friend told me but had to turn off because we played football and won't be at my house tonight.

My thoughts:

It definitely wasnt bad. The engine is quite good. Lots of detail closeup, you can even see in buildings or hear stuff from outside. Lots of variety in building types. Didnt feel copy and pasted at all. Passes the technical side for a free roamer.

Took abit of time to get into. The opening mission was a tutorial but oddly not so fun. The manouvering around is much like Assassin's Creed but more game like(more control). The missions were quite good.It reminded me of Spiderman 2. You can go around and find missions and then complete them. The missions however seem like they will have lots of variation. There look like there are going to be plenty of normal and supernatural enemy types, vehicles and situations. Your character is underpowered compared to many games though you gain abilities.

Seemed fine to me. Ofcourse the demo limits you alot but you get an idea for how it plays. Karma is funny. Seems like you can sway back and forth actually. Cutscenes are good. Not bad.

The missions however seem like they will have lots of variation. There look like there are going to be plenty of normal and supernatural enemy types, vehicles and situations.

You got that from a demo?

I've heard the opposite, tbh.

I really enjoyed the demo. I can just see the final product being awesome, I was smiling straight away when I launched a pulse grenade 100 feet and it stuck onto someone's face, blowing up two people. I like the concept because most superhero games don't give you the ability to shoot a weapon that's similar to a gun, which limits the freedom and ease of play. I died a few times, but it's just fun I think. Grinding on a railway and 'Head-Shocking' someone is brilliant.

And I don't want to sound like an ass Daft, but you must've enjoyed it in parts. Getting the 'trying to convince oneself that they were right in cancelling pre-order' vibe.

Edited by dwarf

You got that from a demo?

I've heard the opposite, tbh.

Its definitely more varied than the usual free roamer. If compared to what i have played of every free roamer this and last gen. Seems like they put more though into the missions. It could be these repeat in the final game but so far they seem to mix them up quite nicely and they seem uniquely location based too :)

Ubisoft and Rockstar should take notes regarding the mssions.

edit: Bear in mind i am speaking strictly of the action.

Is this going to be an excellent game? I cant really tell. But i will spend more time and see.

Edited by Choze

I enjoyed the demo too. Nice to have a character that moves swiftly! The controls took no time at all to learn and the way you can grab onto a lot of objects (objects that make sense) shows how well this has been designed. It was actually a lot harder than I thought on the opening level - some white dude killing me over and over. It's only when you run through the back alleys and get up high do you appreciate that the mechanics of the main character are brilliantly intuitive. Haven't played past the first bit of the demo (I had no sound the first time I downloaded it) and then it crashed on me when I died.

Probably because my room is hotter than Mars and I've got about 1k of space on my St00pid 40gb PS3.

Still, what I played was decent and I enjoyed this FAR more than I thought I would. Looking forward to more reviews all around.

The title is a new endeavour for SPunch and I think they have to be congratulated on pulling off a 'serious' free-roaming next-gen title with enjoyable superhero mechanics to boot.

Does the demo let you go where ever you like? Or is it realy restricted?

Anyone know the differences between the normal and limited editions?

Yep I'm too lazy to google

Sigh

The demo is quite but not overly restrictive. Gives you a good sense of freedom.

The speciai edition will contain "a set of limited edition postcards, as well as a comic book based on the game." There will also be a redemption code for a special in-game power. We suspect it's probably those Gigawatt Blades that are available as a pre-order bonus in the US. Judging from the image above, the cover art seems to be a new, more comic-bookish design.

What's with the sigh!?

Thanks for that .. Me thinks I'll stick with the normal version

Was gonna say you were lazy but then realised I do the same thing lol.

And I don't want to sound like an ass Daft, but you must've enjoyed it in parts. Getting the 'trying to convince oneself that they were right in cancelling pre-order' vibe.

Yeah, totally because I couldn't pre-order it again in a second. What?

It's just bland. After Crackdown a free roaming game with super powers has to do something special and this doesn't do anything remotely stand out.

Well I know you value pride way too high in order to change your mind.

I'm happy to change my mind. I once said I'd never get a PS3, now it's the only thing I play.

I'm in the middle of giving the demo another go now.

I'm with Daft on this one, I was waiting to play the demo before pre-ordering. I'm not gonna bother now, I was not keen on the demo, I could not really tell you why, I just didn't get anything from it. Which is strange because I am really enjoying Bionic Commando......which is getting less ratings in reviews.

I've actually cancelled my preorder as can't afford it day one, downloading the demo now, not really played many games recently so good to get back into it...

I'm with Daft on this one, I was waiting to play the demo before pre-ordering. I'm not gonna bother now, I was not keen on the demo, I could not really tell you why, I just didn't get anything from it. Which is strange because I am really enjoying Bionic Commando......which is getting less ratings in reviews.

I am thinking i could easily rent this too. I am not the biggest fan of open world games. So lets see. My preorder is with sendit for about £37 for the special edition.

Yeah, totally because I couldn't pre-order it again in a second. What?

It's just bland. After Crackdown a free roaming game with super powers has to do something special and this doesn't do anything remotely stand out.

I sort of felt the same, enough to just not bother playing all the way through. One thing I found really annoying, when getting shot at I could see less and less. That pissed me off a bit.

It seemed decent, but not enough to make me want the game when I've already got a load to play still, and not much money right now.

I really enjoyed it, but fair enough if it isn't your cup of tea. I just find it so liberating the way you can chain stuff together, grab onto a ledge, jump off it, glide onto a rail, launch a guy off a building etc. I can't wait tbh.

I'd be interested to see how the people that found it boring were playing the game. It's feasible to complete the demo merely by hanging back and using your regular zap attack — playing it like a standard third-person shooter, in other words — but that really wouldn't be very interesting. dwarf clearly 'gets' the game as it really is all about chaining the various powers together; all the abilities are simultaneously available on the pad for a reason.

I'm not saying its outside the realm of possibility to play the game the latter way and still not get anything out of it, but I do find it very strange that someone could really enjoy Crackdown and then not find inFAMOUS entertaining.

How could you play the game and not work out to chain the powers together?

The coolest power is that force push, but I've played the Force Unleashed so it's hardly a hook especially if I don't want to go after someone with blunt trauma when they're surrounded by civilians. The grenade is pretty cool, but it's a grenade. The slam looks awesome but the Crackdown one had a proper thud to it.

I don't think the game flows well enough. The climbing is kind of stuttered (like when I'm climbing along the side of the train, I get to the edge of the carriage and instead of jumping to the next carriage Cole has to climb on top of the train giving away any kind of stealth tactic). Also Cole's powers seem external to the environment; you can't pick things/people up and I while was running round the levels the clutter in the world like abandoned trollies and the like were rock solid.

Tbh, there is a lot more to do in Crackdown. Use guns, beat someone up (which this game basically merges) although with your fists/door/bus, you can drive (some cars transform) and movement is way faster. Plus, I think Crackdown actually looks better. The explosions in that just look awesome.

It's probably not very clear what I'm saying but I don't even care enough to be bothered.

Hell, I'll give the demo a third and final try a bit later.

Edited by Daft

It's not a case of 'working out', it's a case of doing. I know a lot of people who thought the Plasmids in BioShock were rubbish because they chose to only use Electro Shock and the wrench; you could get by fine using just those two, so they didn't diversify and consequentially didn't have much fun.

If you don't like the game then that's fair enough — don't play the demo on my account. I was simply wondering if you were sabotaging your own enjoyment because I would say that the basic appeal of both this and Crackdown are very similar despite their obvious differences.

Me and Aimless can enjoy it anyway :D There won't be many people to talk to about the full game by the sound of it.

I bet it's awesome the way your powers progress and the way it ends.

Sign in to follow this