NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dwarf

inFAMOUS

Is it still there? I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah all the episodes should be there. Its one of the new ones marked free instead of price.

It seems that a demo was accidentally released on the HK Store, and whilst it's since been pulled Gamersyde have 10 minutes of footage from it.

I really like the sticky, lizard-like acrobatics. Even if the missions turn out to be fairly samey, a character that's fun to move around will keep my attention — see: Crackdown, Spider-Man 2.

That looks awesome. Didn't know the climbing,gliding and zipping along electricity lines granted that much freedom.

It seems that a demo was accidentally released on the HK Store, and whilst it's since been pulled Gamersyde have 10 minutes of footage from it.

I really like the sticky, lizard-like acrobatics. Even if the missions turn out to be fairly samey, a character that's fun to move around will keep my attention — see: Crackdown, Spider-Man 2.

I'm not sure about it. It looks decent but I'm not sure if I'd be that into it.

This game is in serious need of some anti-aliasing. It would make things look so much better!

That aside it's a great demo. It's expansive for one thing, offering several missions, a fairly large section of one of the islands to jaunt around, plus it switches you between karma levels so you can get a feel for the difference it has on your powers. Speaking of which you start off with quite a few upgrades; this isn't the opening of the game.

Moving around the city is a breeze. For the most part you can scale any structure with a minimum of effort of specific planning, much like Assassin's Creed, although I have come across one or two 'designed' sections that are more prescribed like a traditional platformer. I found a blocked off bridge earlier with a network of pipes underneath that allows you to get to the other island¹, but you need to be swift as the piping falls away and if you fall into the water below you're done; you can zap some... pylon things that are fixed overheard so that they swing down and give you something else to grab. In other words I'm pretty optimistic that the full game will have its fair chunk of Sands of Time-esque platforming on top of the 'you can grab anything' X-mashing. On top of that there's usually a much quicker way to scale buildings than slowly clamber from windowsill to windowsill if you look around for it; power lines link a lot of the buildings and scooting along those make you gain speed and momentum.

I found the combat to be largely what you make of it. At least on the demo's default difficulty — Easy, strangely — it is absolutely feasible for you to hang back behind cover and chip away at all the enemies from afar. You'd be doing yourself, and the game, a disservice by playing it in such a manner though. Blast cars into enemies, stick grenades to them, jump off buildings and take foes out with a shockwave, or just run up to them and literally kick their arses; if you mix up your various abilities and agility it's not only much more fun but also a lot quicker than zapping away from behind a low wall.

The missions on show are more varied than your usual open-world affair. Partly this is due to the different enemy types, but it's also because the tasks are more fleshed out than your traditional GTA-style "drive there, kill dude, drive back". They're not revolutionary in terms of game design but structurally they're more akin to a linear game; they have a sense of pacing, plus you're constantly hitting checkpoints so if you die you don't have to do everything again.

Its definitely a good game. I won't know how good until the full things out, obviously, but at the very least the demo is worth giving a go when it'll be available to all in just under a fortnight.

¹Well, not in the demo as there's a mesh fence blocking your way halfway across.

What types of enemies? All ive seen are the reapers, teleport guy and rock monster thing.

What types of enemies?

In the demo they're all from the same gang, the red-clad Reapers; I'm guessing each island will have a respective gang. (Speaking of which, as you complete missions you rid sections of the island from crime meaning that enemies no longer spawn there; think Crackdown but more granular.)

The standard enemies are fairly weak and carry automatic weapons, but these can also man gun turrets and throw molotov cocktails. There are two bulkier variants which take a bit more of beating, one packing an RPG and the other a minigun. Another type of enemy are essentially suicide bombers that are smaller than average and run at you carrying dynamite; zapping them kills them in one, so they're effectively mobile explosive barrels. The toughest enemy type in the demo is clad in white, taller than the rest and have some powers of their own, being able to teleport around and summon a lightning storm.

Oh, it's worth mentioning that you're far from invincible. Offensively you might be a force to be reckoned with, but even on Easy running at a sentry turret will kill you in short order. A powerhouse you might be, but you're made of straw, not bricks.

Edited by Aimless

Just saw the IGN review. Looks f*cking epic.

It used to be that every first party Nintendo game would be a day 1 buy. How things have changed. Well f*cking done Sony. Take a bow!

Not really sure why I'm so sweary today. I mean on t'internet. I always swear.

Yeah I was glad at the reviews, 9.2 US & 9.0 UK. Going to read them in full (although IGN have a habit of having to give away quite a lot which I usually avoid).

What made it sound good to you Daft?

It was mainly the footage. I hadn't really seen it in motion in my attempt to minimise exposure and it has what I demand of any game, that it be like Assassin's Creed...

No, seriously, it was well animated and had solid physics and a real weight behind it. Also it seems to have a real flow and ease of movement about it which is part of the reason I love AC. Plus it looks so detailed. In comparison, Prototype actually just looks quite bland.

Also there looks like a lot of variety in the powers which was my one worry that last time I looked at it.

My one worry, and this is what happened with Crackdown, is that after you clear out an area it kind of gets a bit dull. I hope there are random acts of criminality and other things to make hanging out in areas where you've got rid of the gang fresh.

Like I said, Sony are on a roll. They deserve an increase in sales for the rate and quality of their titles.

My only concern is that the environment will get a bit bland. However strangely I didn't have this problem in Fallout 3. I was a sucker for it's retro style though.

Ever since they first showed this off i knew i wanted it.. now finaly our PS3 is gonna have something to do other than playing blu ray movies :)

My only concern is that the environment will get a bit bland. However strangely I didn't have this problem in Fallout 3. I was a sucker for it's retro style though.

Really? From what I've seen the city looks lived in and really detailed.

I look forward to seeing how your actions effect the city. I think I'm going to try and be really nasty...I always seem to end up gooder than good. We'll see.

I'll do my bad playthrough second, because the first time it's really cool just playing the game, and then the second time it's fun having honed your skills and being able to wreck havoc. Playing good second time round probably isn't as entertaining.

This makes sense.

I pre-ordered it from Play. I wonder if that pre-order special power from the other place may be better to get...

Apparently it isn't just a power you get for the special pre-order, wherever it is that does it. But the power thing is basically just some electrifying nuckle dusters or some sort of melee weapon like that.

Where is do you need to pre-order for that?

I'm not actually that interested in Betas.

I don't know as I said why don't you read my fucking post?! I'd actually quite like a beta for Among Thieves along with a copy of the game but my exams decided to be tossers. You got lucky with the timings my fiend.

This just barely edged out Punch-Out for game of the month in Game Informer so it must be good. Now i can stop kicking myself for preordering it last week

Well great to see this racking up the good scores. Bout time we had our own sandbox game that kicks ass and gets people talking...Not long to wait now.

Playin this at work the past few days. Its really come into its own. At first its a bit tame as there's just this world and not much to do in it, but the more it opens up, the more side missions that open, the more powers you upgrade etc etc, it really becomes very, very fun. You kind of wonder how you got by without some powers before, like grinding power cables for instance. Its awesome.

I dont like the fact that you have to play through twice to experience everything though. I'm playing good at the moment, but sometimes i just want to to do the evil things!

Oh and i didn't like the physicality of how you run at first. It's really a bit odd. Very rushed, bouncy and unrealistic. Laughable almost. Thankfully it gets easier to overlook the more you play, but its a stupid thing to mess up.

Well hopefully the demo is out soon so we can play around abit.

Sign in to follow this