Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Take-Two [this is getting really old!]

Retro_Link

Saw this headline and thought great news!!... then I read on...

http://www.cubed3.com/news/11332

Take-Two Can't Ignore the Wii

Take-Two's CEO Ben Feder addressed the Wii, needing to consider Nintendo's console as a viable platform across all their labels.

The publisher has a varied catalogue, including Manhunt, Grand Theft Auto, Carnival Games and a range of sports titles. They took a risk with the M-rated Manhunt sequel last year, and had surprising success with the family hit Carnival Games. With the Wii's install base growing and growing, Take-Two have had to consider the platform possible for franchises other than Carnival Games.

Even though we think M-rated content is much more appropriate for the PS3 or 360, we have to look at the Wii as a viable platform across all our labels. We have to, because we can't ignore the installed base. You just can't.

The success of the Carnival Games franchise gives us a great foundation upon which to build. Some of our best content really isn't appropriate for the Wii. That said, Carnival Games has been a massive success for the company, and we're looking at ... extending that brand to other areas.

All the way through it was sounding positive, but then the last paragraph pretty much confirms the likes of GTA just aint gonna happen on Wii... no matter how successful the console it would seem!!

I thought maybe these financially troubling times had finally forced them to consider the Wii for all their franchises, either new or cheap cash-in ports; which FYI Take-Two would make you ALOT of easy money amidst the recession! How stupid do they need to be!!

Go on then, bring on Carnival Games 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9....!!!

All the way through it was sounding positive, but then the last paragraph pretty much confirms the likes of GTA just aint gonna happen on Wii... no matter how successful the console it would seem!!

I thought maybe these financially troubling times had finally forced them to consider the Wii for all their franchises, either new or cheap cash-in ports; which FYI Take-Two would make you ALOT of easy money amidst the recession! How stupid do they need to be!!

Idiots. It's their loss as much as ours though.

More their loss, quite a few of the games they publish even on other formats are overrated, but making sequels to casual crap like Carnival Games? Well loads of people bough it so of course they will make more, it's not as if they actually care what the hardcore Wii owners think of them, all they care about is whoever will give them the most money, i.e the casual crowd.

Do I like the fact that this is happening? Not really but then the games aren't for me to buy, the only good thing is that it means more sales for the Wii.

More their loss, quite a few of the games they publish even on other formats are overrated, but making sequels to casual crap like Carnival Games? Well loads of people bough it so of course they will make more, it's not as if they actually care what the hardcore Wii owners think of them, all they care about is whoever will give them the most money, i.e the casual crowd.

Do I like the fact that this is happening? Not really but then the games aren't for me to buy, the only good thing is that it means more sales for the Wii.

Yeah honestly I wouldn't really be interested in their games much either [never really been interested GTA etc...], but a lot of other people would.

Then again it's not as though the Wii has a problem selling!! so bringing the likes of GTA to the console wouldn't really effect sales anyway!

I guess the most annoying aspect of it all is that a few big developers still have a rediculous attitude towards the Wii!

They were referring mainly to the continuance of the Carnival Games series and bringing more of the 2K Sports titles to the Wii. It sucks as I know for a fact that there is a market for more mature titles. They have even said so themselves but bringing something like Manhunt is not the way to go about bringing mature titles to the Wii. We will probably see a GTA eventually but it'll be a case of wait and see how other mature titles do, such as Mad World.

The problem with them bringing GTA to the Wii is whether or not they'd give us a new one or a rehash of existing ones. For example, I could easily see them taking Vice City and San Andreas and putting that in a bundle and releasing it, and for the most part I'd be very happy as those were the better GTAs but with the shoddy conversion of the Xbox versions where there's loads of slow down and loads of graphics not loading, etc. I wouldn't really accept it. If they spent the time on making a decent conversion of the two it's be fine. I don't expect a new GTA title when they eventually get round to making one on the Wii. If they do a new one, it'll tie in with the DS title some how.

The success of the Carnival Games franchise gives us a great foundation upon which to build. Some of our best content really isn't appropriate for the Wii.

Haha. Got to admire the honesty. '...but our second-rate games are perfect for the Wii'.

They made Carnival Games minigolf didn't they?

It honestly makes no sense to me how Carnival Game sold so well, was it just the first minigame compilation on the market or something? I never saw adverts for it. Do people just really like Carnivals? I honestly don't know. Game Party is the same to be honest... that's sold like anoher 2 million.

But yeah, Take-2 don't take me as a company who could really get alot from the Wii. Aside from GTA they really don't have alot to offer anyway, unless they think their sports titles could possibly complete with EA on the Wii 3 years late to the console? :/

It honestly makes no sense to me how Carnival Game sold so well, was it just the first minigame compilation on the market or something? I never saw adverts for it.

There's a few reasons it's sold well. It's the best of the mini game/party game on the system, budget price, and most importantly it's been well bundled with hardware.

We have to, because we can't ignore the installed base. You just can't. We tried too but they're just too big! Oh lord why do we have to develop for them WHYYYY!!

I think they finally realised they can't churn out GTAs every year to keep their company afloat, specially on the losing side of the market.

They'll come around.

The success of the Carnival Games franchise gives us a great foundation upon which to build. Some of our best content really isn't appropriate for the Wii. That said, Carnival Games has been a massive success for the company, and we're looking at ... extending that brand to other areas.

It's that sort of asinine reasoning why the statement it true. If companies didn't think that way and just released good games to any age group they felt like the kiddy/family stigma could be lessened.

There's a few reasons it's sold well. It's the best of the mini game/party game on the system' date=' budget price, and most importantly it's been well bundled with hardware.[/quote']

I don't think it's the best at all, but it was very very well marketed, which is part of selling a game so I have no beef with them for doing the game. They took it seriously and instead of just putting the game in the shelves randomly, they did their job and took it seriously.

Well it's certainly up there, I've had to play most of them and while most of them are utter utter rubbish at least Carnival does what it sets out to well. I certainly can't think of any that are better than it although it has been a while since we last got any in - might have been some that improve on the idea over the last few months.

well... still stand the fact that those mature game DO sell better on 360 and ps3 and i realise this is an unfair comparison at this point seen as the wii hasn't that many mature games in the first..

resident evil 4 sold very well but its a port i guess so I guess that's not really that fair..

I do agree however they should get off their arses but I think they best we are ever going to get with the wii is wiimakes of the ps2 games.

Meanwhile, Take-Two have seen their losses double this year

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/take-two-losses-widen-despite-higher-revenues

most likely this will happen to ALL companies in the recession.

Except Nintendo.

is this actually fact or are you guessing? cause the christmas season aint over yet and im sure its only fair to judge after that which year is better than which..

i seriously doubt this christmas will be better than their highly successive last year especially with people spending far far less.

is this actually fact or are you guessing? cause the christmas season aint over yet and im sure its only fair to judge after that which year is better than which..

i seriously doubt this christmas will be better than their highly successive last year especially with people spending far far less.

2-NPD-monthly-totals-1108.png

2-NPD-monthly-totals-2-Wii-1108.png

As you can see November has already surpassed December last year in US alone, who knows how many they will sell in December. The whole year as already been surpassed, so I doubt Nintendo is doubling they're losses.

resident evil 4 sold very well but its a port i guess so I guess that's not really that fair..

Why wouldn't it be fair, being a port its already handicapped. The fact that it sold well is remarkable.

Saying Mature games don't sell on Wii is rather stupid because there just haven't been enough to really tell like you said. There are enough hardcore Wii owners out there to buy them. But I guess we'll see when Mad World comes out.

I'm thinking if anything comes out of this it will most likely just be ports of the PS2 GTA trilogy, or perhaps just one of them.