N-Europe

€ / £ Exchange Rate

conzer16

Because so many people think like he does, it'll go to a referendum, and everyone who thinks like him will, when at the ballot, think "OMG it's an ugly coin, screw everyone else in the country, I'm going to be a picky bastard who only cares about superficialities!". Thoughts control actions, and the action is sabotaging our economy for a reason that a 5 year old child could identify as being stupid.

Aw jeh baby! It's the BREAKDOWN!!!

You speak so much truth my friend!

I like USING the pound, more than the Euro. I find it annoying and fiddly (I.e the coins). What the heck is so hard to gather about that simple statement. I have used the Euro enough, and I find it complicated etc etc. I don't want to change the currency I use when I'm perfectly content with what I have.

In response to your previous point - I'm sorry bout Fish is right, you're talking balls and it's the stupid opinions like yours that contribute to the problem. They're coins for fuck sake. How the fuck can one coin be "fiddly" (kudos to you for most ridiculous description of the day) and the other not. THEY JUST LOOK DIFFERENT! They have exactly the same denominations as ours. And I don't get how it's complicated - unless you're incapable of using sterling either.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, I'm obviously not allowed an opinion so I'll leave the ones that are obviously "right" to argue amonst themselves.

I see nothing wrong with me not wanting to change becaue I have used the Pound all my life and don't want to have to update to something else just because the rest of Europe has done so. (Please DO NOT compare this not wanting to change to other, bigger issues because that's just pointless).

If that opinion is "wrong", then I couldn't give a wank. I haven't said once that I will vote against a change (because to be honest, unless I'm completely adament against something I'm not going to bother voting) I have just said I prefer the pound. Maybe I'm stuck in my ways, because I've used it for 17 years, but so what? I like it.

Oh and just to clarify, before fish says something else, I don't find the pound better looking than the euro (Infact, I think the Euro "looks" better), I'm not a nationalist, I dislike the monarchy etc etc. Are we done?

Oh and just to clarify, before fish says something else, I don't find the pound better looking than the euro (Infact, I think the Euro "looks" better), I'm not a nationalist, I dislike the monarchy etc etc. Are we done?

So would it have been simpler to say you'd rather not have the change if it weren't needed due to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle?

Also, Kudos for being a republican (in a strictly non-American sense), there aren't enough of us...

So would it have been simpler to say you'd rather not have the change if it weren't needed due to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle?

Also, Kudos for being a republican (in a strictly non-American sense), there aren't enough of us...

What the fuck is wrong with you? Being a "republican"? I'm actually rather offended. Please stop attempting to sound intelligent and make me sound like something I'm not. Because of an opinion on a single matter I'm a republican? God, you need to go and work for the Daily Mail, pronto.

Alright then, how about if I compare this to say, the "Hallelujah" thread. Masses of you don't want the new, updated version of an old song you love. It has the same lyrics, it's the same song, just someone different singing it, so why are you against it? Because you like the old version, simple.

What is so hard to see. I AM NOT AGAINST CHANGING TO THE EURO (In the sense of I would not vote against change). I have not said once that I would vote against it. So for the love of god, stop calling me all these things that I most certainly am not. I would just prefer we didn't change. Thats it. If you can't get that opinion through your head, then there's something wrong somewhere.

The problem here is that The fish and gang think rationalistic, Haggis does not - mind you, that is not an accusation at anyone. Sometimes one must think with one's feelings instead of one's brain, and sentimental value shouldn't be scolded at.

In this case I'd say it all comes down to whether or not it'd be wise to switch to the Euro, which people seem to disagree about. I don't enough about economy to judge if it's wise or not or if it matters at all. My understanding is that if it is proved to be the better solution to switch, Haggis would indeed have no problem switching, but if it doesn't have any practical effects, he'd rather keep the Pound. We can't blame someone for not wanting to change if he or she likes how things are - the changing of song lyrics being a good example - as long as it doesn't keep people from changing for the better instead of holding on to something unwise merely because of sentimental value.

Summed up: Sentimental value is good as long as it doesn't impede positive change.

How Britain is doing better than the rest of the EU in recent years..

Umm... GDP growth rate amongst the big 4 since the adoption of the Euro:

UK: 1.6%

France: 1%

Germany: 0.4%

Italy: 0.4%

2003:

UK: 2.1%

Italy: 0.5%

France: 0.1%

Germany: -0.1%

2004:

UK: 3.2%

France: 2.1%

Germany: 1.7%

Italy: 1.3%

2005:

UK: 1.8%

France: 1.4%

Germany: 0.9%

Italy: 0.1%

2006:

UK: 2.7%

Germany: 2.2%

France: 2.0%

Italy: 1.6%

UK: 3.1%

Germany: 2.5%

The eurozone is still growing nevertheless, albeit not as greatly as the UK has been but close enough. By allowing ourselves into that special group, we'd be much better prepped for competing with the likes of China and India. When the other, less developed EU states start to adopt the euro then I think it'd be a win-win, as Europe would see more growth on a whole!

The problem with opinion is that people expect them to be based on something. I wonder what would happened if I said I'm against gay people, in THIS forum.

Not much because gays are wusses.

Disclaimer:this is a complete lie. Although it's probably true on some cases, I dunno.

2003:

2004:

2005:

2006:

Growth rate does not equal actual wealth. If you go by growth rate, Lithuania is one of the greatest economies in Europe.

Secondly, I was going by Europe as in the Eurozone/rest of EU, not just the UK against single other European economies.

If we lose the pound, we lose the ability to set our own interest rates and would depend on the EU to control our monitary policy. Interest rates are low at the moment for a reason and a weak pound will only do good in the long run with cheaper exports. If we lose the ability to look after our own economy during times like this, we could be screwed.

I'm going to Malaysia in February and it sucks because Im not going to be able to get as many RM and USD that I was hoping for. I'll have to get by on 5000RM compared to the 7000RM that I would have got a year ago.:( No 5 star hotels for me... ok, just the 1 or 2.: peace:

This is the most plausible reason for staying out. Look what has happened to Ireland's economy since we lost the abolity to control monetary policy.

The only thing that Englad has going for it is that it would have a massive input into the eurozone economy. ie england's economy would influence what state the wider eurozone economy (something which a small state like Ireland is unable to do) and so the interest rates that the ECB sets would probably be more suited to English conditions at the time

2003:

2004:

2005:

2006:

Just wanted to point out Ireland's GDP since the adoption of the Euro:

2002 6.1%

2003 4.4%

2004 4.5%

2005 5.5%

2006 5.7%

2007 6.0%

Growth rate does not equal actual wealth. If you go by growth rate, Lithuania is one of the greatest economies in Europe.

Secondly, I was going by Europe as in the Eurozone/rest of EU, not just the UK against single other European economies.

Growth is the ultimate goal of monetary, fiscal and economic policies. Growth creates wealth and is the greatest indicator or a country's prospects which is why economists and financial analysts resort to using it consistently.

If we lose the pound, we lose the ability to set our own interest rates and would depend on the EU to control our monitary policy. Interest rates are low at the moment for a reason and a weak pound will only do good in the long run with cheaper exports. If we lose the ability to look after our own economy during times like this, we could be screwed.

I'm going to Malaysia in February and it sucks because Im not going to be able to get as many RM and USD that I was hoping for. I'll have to get by on 5000RM compared to the 7000RM that I would have got a year ago.:( No 5 star hotels for me... ok, just the 1 or 2.: peace:

This kind of thing does make sense to me and concerns me. How can you have a single monetary policy for a whole rash of economies with different growth rates. Also it doesn't seem to me that Britain is economically failing. Seems that we're doing no worse than Eurozone countries. I really don't know enough about economics to really have a coherent opinion on the matter. I just feel a bit suspicious about how the Euro would actually work.

Oh and if anyone knows; how will this exchange rate effect the price of Guinness?

Pyxis: seems you control issues. There's a basic lack of trust in the rest of the EU and 'the continent' in your reasoning - I get way too much such vibes from from the UK (and I find really disturbing at times).

The euro is way too stable to ever go down the drain. The pound won't go quickly, but it's far more likely to ever devaluate. I find it quite arrogant to think you Brits are better off managing your own moneys, when you're clearly not.

Can I just say that the weak pound is a good thing. In our own country it means nothing. But it means our exports are cheaper, so we will make more money. Just look at the ROI people crossing the border to shop in NI. NI made lots of money from ROI, and at a time when businesses are struggling that's a good thing.

So Blue Ninja0, please continue to spend your money here, we need it.

Can I just say that the weak pound is a good thing. In our own country it means nothing. But it means our exports are cheaper, so we will make more money. Just look at the ROI people crossing the border to shop in NI. NI made lots of money from ROI, and at a time when businesses are struggling that's a good thing.

Well I already ordered some stuff from the UK over the last few weeks, heh. But then again I already did that before the pound dropped, simply because in general prices are lower there it seems (or maybe that's just an online thing).

Anyway, I can understand not wanting to switch because of the UK wanting to control its own money, though I wonder just how much there actually is they can do with that (interest rates and stuff).

However, not wanting to switch because you don't like the coins or simply have been using them all your life is a bit of a lame excuse. =P

(no offence to anyone by the way)

But its bad for imports, and as any EU country, the majority of imports/exports is within the EU itself.

Having skipped a quarter of this topic, you'll have to excuse me; but, I am one of those c***s who wants to keep the pound purely because it's our currency. There I said it. I couldn't give a crap if it's down the shitter, or if the Euro is on the up. I don't like the fact the EU has all this power over us anyway.

That's the end of my narrow minded little rant. I better put up the flame shield.

Except the UK pretty much always has imported a lot more than it exports so it wont have a positive effect on the economy overall.

Oh and if anyone knows; how will this exchange rate effect the price of Guinness?

Well seeing as it's made in Dublin then exported to the UK where, now it's more expensive to import from the eurozone countries a pint of plain will also be more expensive.

Yes. The price of a pint of Guinness will go up for you.