Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The difference a year makes

Emerald Emblem

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite in all countries, and it's only delaying the inevitable overtaking of PS3 there.

The price cuts and massive marketing spend have really helped 360 out here, it looked like PS3 would lead it for total 2008 sales even here in the UK, now it looks like 360 will be some way ahead in the UK and not as far off as expected across the continent.

It's quite clear that the Wii has won again this year, 2009 could be very interesting imo. Sony look likely to give a massive push in March - possible price drop, big push on exclusive games and possibly more. I think they know they can't compete with the Wii at Christmas and so are waiting for a better time to go all out.

360 sales may be seeing it's peak this Christmas with sales doing well, a possible redesign next year along with the new casual approach could give it extra legs mind. Key thing for 360 is the userbase just love software, there's a massive demand for it so that will keep them going for a long time to come.

With the Wii in 2009 there is the question of just how many more people want one? If it can match 2008 sales then that's great for Nintendo, not so great for everyone else. Personally I think it will be big but not at the levels we've seen this year.

Never quite saw the point of FFXIII on 360. I mean, we all knew it was going to happen, but looking at mediocre sales of all these JRPGs on the console suggest there's not THAT big of a RPG fanbase on their. Besides, the sheer dominance of the PS3 version in Japan would pretty much make all western competition between the two versions irrelevant.

Can't say what will happen in general for 2009, but Q1 at least looks like more than a dcent enough period for all three consoles in terms of software. PS3 won't increase its slow growth in the west until it has a price cut. It's currently riding a temporary high in Japan thanks to GT5, GTA4 and LBP, but still dropped under 20,000 units sold this last week. 360 isn't going to break into any new markets as much as Microsoft is wanting it to. And October 2nd confirmed for me that I'm in no rush whatsoever to buy a second home console, despite any potential price cuts.

Personally, 2009 is going to be all about the RPG for me (not this Final Fantasy bilge, mind you). And if we at least see the next main Tales game in action, I'd be content.

Never quite saw the point of FFXIII on 360. I mean, we all knew it was going to happen, but looking at mediocre sales of all these JRPGs on the console suggest there's not THAT big of a RPG fanbase on their. Besides, the sheer dominance of the PS3 version in Japan would pretty much make all western competition between the two versions irrelevant.

The point? I'll be able to play it that's enough.

And it expands the possible audience, since it's a port, it shouldn't cost them that much.

The point? I'll be able to play it that's enough.

And it expands the possible audience, since it's a port, it shouldn't cost them that much.

Yeah I know, business and money and whatnot. I just don't think it will rake them in that much more than they'd get anyway. Every little helps, I guess.

Personally, 2009 is going to be all about the RPG for me (not this Final Fantasy bilge, mind you). And if we at least see the next main Tales game in action, I'd be content.

Do you mean as in a completely new tales game?

Because Tales of Vesperia is not out yet in europe and it´s due out 2009

I hope we get some info on Cry On from Mistwalker because pretty much the only thing that has been said about this game all year is its name

Do you mean as in a completely new tales game?

Because Tales of Vesperia is not out yet in europe and it´s due out 2009

I hope we get some info on Cry On from Mistwalker because pretty much the only thing that has been said about this game all year is its name

I know, but I was on about the NEXT Mothership Tales game, which thanks to a sudden stroke of rare common sense at Namco, will be on Wii. Vesperia is fine and good, but the effort and budget that Namco but on that game (ie, Symphonia Team) should have gone on a true Symphonia sequel. I have no sympathy for Namco that Dawn of the New World is assraping Vesperia in sales.

But this is slightly off topic, and we could never have a true Tales discussion in the absence of pedrocasilva anyway :heh:

In the new UK charts LBP is higher than Wow Lich King. Tomb Raider PS3 outsold all the other versions combined. Need for Speed also outsold the 360 version. Much better 3rd party situation this year.

Odd and impressive given the 360 advertising :P

JFYI microsoft is turning the tide in europe and are now selling more 360's than ps3's per month in all countries.

We do not have the numbers. Also the boost in sales came because of the price cut, nothing else. That is hardly turning any tide.

Regardless given the PS3 price Sony do not need to sell as many consoles as the 360. Which is why it turned around in the first place. Some here thinking Sony should follow MS into a pointless war for second position over scraps are mistaken.

In the new UK charts LBP is higher than Wow Lich King. Tomb Raider PS3 outsold all the other versions combined. Need for Speed also outsold the 360 version.

We do not have the numbers. Also the boost in sales came because of the price cut, nothing else. That is hardly turning any tide.

Regardless given the PS3 price Sony do not need to sell as many consoles as the 360. Which is why it turned around in the first place. Some here thinking Sony should follow MS into a pointless war for second position over scraps are mistaken.

Why are you so bothered about Sony? Do you work for them?

This is basically another console war thread now, you just can't help it on forums. There should just be a sticky where there is one post that shows pros and cons of all main systems and any little details and it should be left at that.

The odd smart remark here and there is no problem.

Anyone who swears allegiances with multi-billion dollar electronics companies and think they give a damn needs a reality check, tbh. Who gives a toss about how many games sold on which console, who's winning the console "war" or how much profit the companies are making? Just play the games, enjoy them, don't worry about sales figures, just have a great time chainsawing a Locust, creating a masterpiece in LBP, dusting off your Wii and getting the family together, and so on and so on... :)

In the new UK charts LBP is higher than Wow Lich King. Tomb Raider PS3 outsold all the other versions combined. Need for Speed also outsold the 360 version. Much better 3rd party situation this year.

It could be in part down to just how oversaturated the 360's release calender has been this Christmas. Quick count lands me at 9 console exclusives in 2 months. With the release radar for the 360 drying up and PS3 still having SOCOM and Resistance to come i'd expect the situation will reverse in the coming weeks. Likewise, we'll probably see PS3 hardware sales rise too.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!