Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Counting Down The Days

Slaggis

I've been doing my UCAS application recently and I've just decided where to apply. (Leeds, Leeds Trinity, York, Sheffield and Anglican in Cambridge). I'm starting to realise just how amazingly terrified I am of what's going to happen.

I hate meeting new people, especially when I'm on my own. I always dodge situations where something like this may have to be done, because I get cripplingly shy when I'm on my own and I used to have a pretty bad stammer which I've almost (though, it comes back thick and fast with new people) got over. (I'm a completely different person with people I know. I'm a little too loud :p). I found myself trying to apply to places that I know friends are going too, and hoping for the best though I realise that's obviously the wrong thing to be doing.

I just don't see myself being able to get used to the Uni, the new city (unless it's Cambridge) and make new friends in a short space of time. It's making me worry constantly, because I know this is my future and not something I can just "dodge".

I know it's a bit of a pointless thread, but did/does anyone feel the same way?

I'm sure a lot of people feel a similar sort of way. but you have to move on with your life in one way or another and these types of things are unavoidable. Just grit your teeth and go for it.

If you want to overcome your shyness then try meeting new people beforehand to get used to it. Take an after school class or join a club or something.

(Not a thread about the album by Natalie Imbrgulia? Dissapointing)

Plenty of people dodge their futures :p

And I'll give the usual "you'll be fine, everyone is thrown into the big melting pot (which is also mixed with a 'same boat' analogy) and you'll just start chatting. plus living in halls forces you to interact with people, even if you don't come to love your housemates it'll be a way to meet new people...unless you lock yourself in your room."

I'm qute worried as well, although atleast you 100% know what you want to do. The problem i'm facing is where alot of the computer Science courses at Uni have quite high entry grades (Mainly AAB) and i doubt i will get that. What i'm thinking of applying for are at:

Nottingham (Ranked 29/100 for Computing)

Plymouth (Ranked 54/100 for Computing)

Sheffield Hallam (Ranked 76/100 for Computing)

Lincoln (Ranked 99/100 for computing)

?????

Looking at the rankings now, the last two especially look quite poor, and to be honest i don't know what i want to do. I'm not even sure i want to do Computer Science although i guess it's one of the main things i'm interested in. Civil Engineering looks good though. Bleh i dunno.

I've just realised that has nothing to do with the question you asked.

I'd say i'm not that bad at making friends, although i do tend to go bright red in the face when talking to new people, which i get paranoid about it it gets worse (Moogles knows) :P But yes i am abit worried about Uni.

Same here...although art college looks like it's brimming with jokes to interact with. Plus I'll probs come into contect with people I know from school, based on where I'm applying;

Duncan Of Jordanstone (Dundee)

Leeds College Of Art

Only 2 I actually want to go to. i think I put Newcastle next.

I felt exactly the same a year ago when I did my application. It turned out ok in the end. Two conditional offers, and an interview which led to nothing. Although I turned down those two conditionals to do something else. Don't worry about the UCAS thing. If you start getting antsy about it now, when it comes to interviews and such you'll be a nervous wreck. So chill, put it to the back of your mind for now. Not much else you can do. When you get contacted by a Uni, take it in your stride. Go through everything carefully and that way, it'll be a lot easier to get through.

As for the new people thing, I know what you mean. I've been at Uni for 2 months now and don't know anyone. :( But then I was at the disadvantage of not staying in halls (although there are students in my classes that commute like me). I guess I can't really comment on shyness and how to get rid of it seeing as I'm very much a definition of the word as I'm not good at reaching out and meeting people from scratch. But it gets better.

I felt exactly the same a couple of months before. I worried about nearly everything and just couldn't accept ''everybody is in the same boat''

Its easy as pie to make friends in halls, trust me, because you live so near to each other and you all talk and flats talk to each other and before you know it a huge list of numbers appear in your phone.

It's similar in class too, people suddenly talk to you when they wouldn't normally and friends of friends.

Trust me haggis this is completely normal, I'm pretty sure you'll be great, things like these always happen and you'll be the same as everybody else. University is one of the most terrifying things I've ever done but also one of the best and I've met some very nice people, some very lazy people and some very annoying people.

I'd also ignore strider with his top 100 crap (which also applies to yourself strider!), at the end of the day I found sheffield wasn't ranked highly at all in the aces side that I'm doing because it's new and it's better than I could have imagine. Screw statistics as long as you are happy with your choices. Although hallam rules come here ^_^.

Strider my friend at abber does computer science, basically in wales. Maybe take a look at that course? Apprently it's amazing.

I've been doing my UCAS application recently and I've just decided where to apply. (Leeds, Leeds Trinity, York, Sheffield and Anglican in Cambridge)

A few good choices there :) I'm currently at Leeds Met, I don't live in Leeds though, live at home, kind of half way between Leeds and York, and it's ace here os i know you've made some good choices :) I did the whole living away thing for a couple of years when i went and failed at Loughborough Uni. But i made some amazing friends :) and had an awesome time in general! So try not to be shy, just push yourself into some social situations, almost force yourself into it and you won't regret it. You might not become best mates or whatever but you'll know people and be more comfortable where you are :)

I'm not even sure i want to do Computer Science although i guess it's one of the main things i'm interested in. Civil Engineering looks good though. Bleh i dunno.

I'm doing Civil Engineering at the moment and really enjoying it! Managed to average 75% in my first year and i'm doing well so far this year too, which is a complete turnaround to failing my Maths course completely :P I put it all down to enjoying the course though so it might not be for you but i still recommend it :) If you have any questions feel free to PM me

I'm a really shy person but for some reason moving to Uni doesn't scare me. I'm up for it totallly. :grin:

At the moment I don't really have many friends so moving on isn't to difficult for me!!! :)

I'll miss my family of course but It's not as if I'm not going to contact them so all that is good!!

I feel like I'm ready to take part in this next 'adventure' in my life! :D

YEAAAAAAAAAH!

Most likely when I get there I won't make that many friends again, I'm not very good at that bit. Still as long as I make even just one good friend it's all good.

I reckon because everyone is eating the same cake it is easier as well.

I'm gonna be applying soon too!

However, I have no idea wtf is going on, nobody here has talked to us about going to uni yet, and I really hope they'll hurry up.

I've never even seen a uni. I don't know how big they are, or what goes on in them.

I'll still be applying blindly though, if I don't get off this island soon, I never will!

I'm gonna be applying soon too!

However, I have no idea wtf is going on, nobody here has talked to us about going to uni yet, and I really hope they'll hurry up.

I've never even seen a uni. I don't know how big they are, or what goes on in them.

I'll still be applying blindly though, if I don't get off this island soon, I never will!

I wouldn't rely on college to help you, I'd do it yourself and hurry up and get yourself to open days.

Open days include seeing most of the uni and some of the halls and area too.

I'm pretty sure people will be able to push you in the right direction for university if you tell them what course and in a rough location.

I wouldn't rely on college to help you, I'd do it yourself and hurry up and get yourself to open days.

I'm pretty sure people will be able to push you in the right direction for university if you tell them what course and in a rough location.

I'm applying to the dundee art college, glasgow school of art, and also the edinburgh school of art!

I'd really just like some guidance from them, like what should be in my portfolio and so on.

Also, I don't think I'd be able to get myself to an open day before terms start :(

I'm applying to the dundee art college, glasgow school of art, and also the edinburgh school of art!

I'd really just like some guidance from them, like what should be in my portfolio and so on.

Also, I don't think I'd be able to get myself to an open day before terms start :(

Portfolios tend to just be full of any work you deem to be good, variation is a must. The more the merrier, it's better to take lots of work rather than hardly any. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, your art seems lovely!

Not just that but interviews aren't just for them to drill you, you need to drill them as well. Ask questions whilst they ask you some.

You'll be able to visit if you get an interview, which seems like you might.

I wouldn't worry about open days, they're good to go to and all that but they don't really tell you anything you can't find out using the internets. The only real thing I got out of going to open days is what the uni looked likes. Edinburgh uni is very very different to Strathclyde. The part of Edinburgh I went to seemed very "uni like" whereas Strathclyde is basically a whole load of buildings bang in the middle of Glasgow with "University of Strathclyde" written on them.

I know someone who went to the Glasgow School of Art last year and he seemed to enjoy it. Glasgow is a fantastic city for students, so many different places to go out, something for everyone.

My school were bastards and only let us take time off school for two open days, and we had to fill out a form to get permission for each. It was really silly, everyone just pretended they were ill or whatever and went to more.

Haggis, by Anglican do you mean Anglia Ruskin? I hear it's cool there.

I went to open days there!

I loved Dundee. A Lot. That's where I'm applying.

Oh, and tip; Art is a fickle subject. Route B means they see what order you listed them in. :o

Tip 2: Unless you put Glasgow or Edinburgh first, they won't consider you. Dundee is getting to be that way.

(I'm actually only applying to Dundee...wasn't overly impressed with Glasgow, and I live in Edinburgh, so that' a no)

So you missed those open days. There's others in England, but yeah.

Dundee just seemed to have tonnes of facilities. And I liked the area.

I went to open days there!

I loved Dundee. A Lot. That's where I'm applying.

Oh, and tip; Art is a fickle subject. Route B means they see what order you listed them in. :o

Tip 2: Unless you put Glasgow or Edinburgh first, they won't consider you. Dundee is getting to be that way.

(I'm actually only applying to Dundee...wasn't overly impressed with Glasgow, and I live in Edinburgh, so that' a no)

So you missed those open days. There's others in England, but yeah.

Dundee just seemed to have tonnes of facilities. And I liked the area.

I'm thinking of Edinburgh as my first choice! But that really sucks about the whole seeing choices thing, I am going on route B!!

Also, England is out of the question, as I want to be able to visit home occasionally!