Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Studying vs Working

Falcon_BlizZACK

People in Uni, have you ever felt like withdrawing and and go straight into work? Why? Ever since I've changed my course I've lost so much motivation and feel I have wasted so many years of my life, where if I was working could have made decent pay due to experience etc.

If you're in uni, how do you keep motivated and on top of things? To those who never went to university, do you think you might?

(sorry for these topics, this will be my last ;/)

I went the route of directly working.

This time 3 years ago I was making £4.99 an hour (with an agency), and now I make around £7.30 ph.

With all the disaster of the credit crunch and companies folding I can see a lot less jobs for EVERYONE, but maybe even worse for the graduates.

Working is very dead end. I thought I could go the route of working during the day and studying at night -how hard could it be?- Haha, how very wrong I was. When you get home from work the last thing you want to do is study.

I have never doubted it while at uni (perhaps Game being as mediocre as it was stopped me from swaying to that side) but I dunno. If I was a fair way in I'd think "we'll, I've spent all this money, why give up now?" but if its truely awful then do give it up. If its just bland, well, life is bland unfortunatly.

And personally I can't decide what to do after uni. Carry on or work? Who knows.

Right now, I just find writing linguistics essays and reading about linguistics so unbelievably awesome that it's better than most other things I could be doing. Seriously.

Sounds awesome indeed. :)

I look forward to when I'm done with the gymnasium and can move on to uni. That means I can forget about all the other subjects and focus on what I really want.

Sounds awesome indeed. :)

I look forward to when I'm done with the gymnasium and can move on to uni. That means I can forget about all the other subjects and focus on what I really want.

My friend, please make sure you know NOW what it is you are truly interested in, and know what it entails. I changed course after 2 years of Multimedia technology because I found the other necessary parts boring as hell (software development, java) but the other stuff was brilliant. Then I changed to a course I felt I liked during school; Product design, as Im more of a artsy-creative type but even that had elements of engineering and if you didn't start foundational engineering during college, this shit could f you over the park bench! (lol).

...To top it off, I excel at sports which occasionally distracts me, giving me the feeling of to go and work to fund my sporting habits and look towards a career in sport, which is of course smered with risk. (injury etc).

I just want to urge people to KNOW want they want to do, but also don't get too dillusioned by the words of those over enthustiastic school/college teachers - be realistic.

I keep ontop by talking to friends and getting them to do work with me, whilst ensuring I understand and keep ontop, they also do the same.

Uni doesn't have to be an alone working thing and alot of my assignments have been group work, which is nice.

Never forget that tutors are always around for a chat and will help you if they can.

King is right, in a less scary way, ask lots of questions when you go for interviews and open days, don't be afraid to ask everything and anything, it means then you are sure and can spend however much it is working for 3/4years.

I have not yet doubted my course, I have doubted being here in sheffield, but that is only because of my immediate family, otherwise everything is peachy.

My friend, please make sure you know NOW what it is you are truly interested in, and know what it entails. I changed course after 2 years of Multimedia technology because I found the other necessary parts boring as hell (software development, java) but the other stuff was brilliant. Then I changed to a course I felt I liked during school; Product design, as Im more of a artsy-creative type but even that had elements of engineering and if you didn't start foundational engineering during college, this shit could f you over the park bench! (lol).

...To top it off, I excel at sports which occasionally distracts me, giving me the feeling of to go and work to fund my sporting habits and look towards a career in sport, which is of course smered with risk. (injury etc).

I just want to urge people to KNOW want they want to do, but also don't get too dillusioned by the words of those over enthustiastic school/college teachers - be realistic.

To be fair there is always going to be part of your job/study that you don't like doing. Real life ain't all fun and games unfortunately.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't aim as high as you can tho.

I'm in the process of making the work or uni decision now.

I'm thinking of studying Computer Science, although i'm not sure if i'd find it boring (Suppose i will have to find out when i get there).

I've been looking at Uni's today and have gotten frustrated at myself as i can't decide where i'd like to go. One of the main reasons why i want to go to Uni is to set the ball rolling and move away from where i live. This place is biggest shit hole ever, and i know full well i'd never find a job that would satisfy me around this area. At the moment, the Uni route is winning.

To be fair there is always going to be part of your job/study that you don't like doing. Real life ain't all fun and games unfortunately.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't aim as high as you can tho.

I truly understand that, but these courses featured subjects which varied so opposingly in terms of logic. Like doing a course that had both maths and art in it. Most people are either good at maths, crap at art or good at art and crap at maths. And would usually specialize in one field. Thats how my courses felt to me. They aren;t 'static' subjects like, say, Law or History.

Don't worry, I KNOW what I want. :) And it's not because of someone talking me into it - I have discovered this road completely by myself. Heck, two years ago I wouldn't have dreamt of going this way - now I can't imagine NOT going it.

University, definitely. You can go to work now, but choosing the right course will get you a much better job later. It's really self investment.

If you go to work unqualified, you might have great success, but there's a chance you end up working at Sainsbury's for the rest of your life. I sure wouldn't.

I've been in/on the education circuit for what seems like an eternity. I've been to plenty of 3 schools, college and just started Uni and I'm only 19. Every single day I sit and think to myself,' Wouldn't it be bloody great just to stop learning for awhile so I could go out and do the many things I want to.' I've always put education first and never had a job so my view is kind of biased on the whole studying vs working thing. I think, if you can handle the continuous studying then go to Uni, but it's not for everyone. I'm having a hard time adjusting to it but then my career/subject change didn't help that.

As much as I moan about having been in education for as long as I have, the majority of it I don't regret and I feel it'll help me in the long run with getting a decent job, where pay is acceptable enough for me to live off of with at least a partner and perhaps a kid or two but that's much further down the line. I'm not really interested in the money so much as being able to enjoy what I'm doing and helping people, which is why I changed to psychology. I don't regret going to Uni and I would have always done it regardless of what life had thrown at me. I just hope to hell I'm not one of those people who jumps in an out of Uni looking for something to do. I know people like that and really don't want to be like that.

@ Rez - it's never too late to either go to Uni or to College and improve on your career prospects.

^ well if you have that kind of mentality, perhaps a part time course would be better suited. Yes, it'd take longer but there won't be a constant nagging by lecturers to get work done.

Oh no I'd happily work now. In college I did not work as hard as I could have is what I'm saying.

I know I'm considering mulling it over in my head. Mature student.

Heh.....mature.

However I stand by my original statement. It would have been a good thing to do directly after college....you know...if I actually didn't get kicked out/did some work.

1) Mature student is someone over the age of 25

2) They can no longer be referred to as 'mature student' under the age discrimination act