Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

EA Montreal moves to HD

EA Montreal General Manager Alain Tascan has told us that EA Montreal — as part of the EA Games label — is to refocus the studio on "action titles and HD-quality products" compared to its recent history of Wii titles such as Boogie Superstar and Skate It.

It's more evidence of the restructuring plan EA announced with its recent decision to make 1500 layoffs and purchase of Playfish.

"The Wii market is a little bit unpredictable these days," said Tascan, "We’re going to see how Christmas is going to do and while with the Wii we have had very successful titles, we are going to focus on big, blockbuster-type titles. It doesn't mean that we are going to abandon the Wii, but as a studio we want to be ready for new challenges."

Army of Two — an Xbox 360 and PS3 title developed at EA Montreal which is to be joined by sequel The 40th Day in January — is reportedly one of the driving factors for this change, as "the most successful original IP EA has had in the last few years" according to Tascan, arguing that EA as a whole isn't turning away from big-budget titles but "adjusting their direction."

I reckon it'll be interesting to see how No More Heroes does saleswise in going from Wii to HD.

Indeed.

I mean come on, when have EA ever made a ground-up, exclusive, AAA Wii game?

Why bother? They clearly aren't happy with the sales of other titles from different companies and don't want to splash the cash. Also, when you make a game for one of the HD consoles you just port it to the other, 2 for 1...kinda. :D

Its weird, even though Nintendo have clawed their way back into pole position they have still got themselves into the same situation as they did with the N64 and Gamecube. A problem with 3rd parties.

There are plenty of great 3rd party titles out there for the Wii, its just that most of them don't do the numbers that they should. It will be interesting to see how Red Steel 2 performs next year.

I reckon it'll be interesting to see how No More Heroes does saleswise in going from Wii to HD.

It'll do just as well if the advertising stays the same...

It's a niche title and will sell about the same anywhere in my opinion. If it has no blood in it it's send out to die on hd consoles as well.

I think that would be a more accurate statement.

I mean come on, when have EA ever made a ground-up, exclusive, AAA Wii game?

Boom blox I know you wouln't consider AAA but it's a great game and a lot of effort went into it.

Sold pretty shit I thought. Especially the first game.

Boom blox I know you wouln't consider AAA but it's a great game and a lot of effort went into it.

Sold pretty shit I thought. Especially the first game.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to fly the flag for Boom Blox - it is a quality game (and actually sold rather well - it was the second which was doomed).

But let's be pragmatic here. With news like this, people have in mind a particular 'type' of AAA game. Not like Boom Blox, or Grand Slam Tennis...

I posted this in the New Super Mario Bros Wii thread but I figure I should put it here too:

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/nsmb/vol1_page1.jsp

Its the new Iwata asks with Miyamoto. Although its about NSMBW, the first 4 pages are them mainly talking about how Mario was designed and the early Mario games. There's a part where they mentioned that they designed the very start of Super Mario Bro's so that you can't avoid the mushroom that comes out of the block.

I'm really getting sick with Wii owners getting screwed over with 3rd party titles. I want Modern Warfare 2, I want Assassin's Creed 2, I want the next Grand Theft Auto. Granted, I can play it on another system, but I'm starting to get sick of the lack of 3rd party support on Nintendo's systems.

[/rant]

I'm really getting sick with Wii owners getting screwed over with 3rd party titles. I want Modern Warfare 2, I want Assassin's Creed 2, I want the next Grand Theft Auto. Granted, I can play it on another system, but I'm starting to get sick of the lack of 3rd party support on Nintendo's systems.

[/rant]

The fact is that if you want to play these type of games you have to have another machine ( PS3/360 ) to compliment the Wii. Should it be like that? Not at all but sadly that is the case.

Its a shame because the Wii does miss out on some great titles. I've just finished playing Assasins Creed 2 and it was a fantastic game that many Wii owners will miss out on. It works both ways though because many PS3/360 only owners will miss out on DeBlob and A Boy and his Blob and judging by the sales of the latter many Wii owners will miss out on that aswell :angry: