Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Excitebike World Rally is certainly a nice little surprise.. even if I'm not yet sure whether I will be investing in it or not :eek:

I was hoping for something a little closer to the fantastic Excitebike 64 than the NES original.. but this will have to do :heh: It also raises my hope of perhaps getting an online F-Zero WiiWare game if we can't have a proper Wii update :hehe:

It was actually, yes!

I think it was to have a short, high-quality game at launch that showed off the GameCube's dual analogue feature.

And the analogue shoulder buttons and slick lighting effects of the cube. Alongside Waverace and Rogue Squadron the cube looked uber powerful at launch.

More Excite = best news ever. Not enough racers on Wii!

So the embassador programme. Is it as simple as I put there ode in, they put my code in. Irrespective of whether or not we actually did help them? i.e. could we set up some sort of scam on here where we get together and type in each others codes?

And am I reading it right. If you get 10 people to sign up. You get unlimted NES downloads? If so, that's crazy!! Brilliant. But crazy!

Anybody?...Anybody?...Bueller...Bueller....

Anybody?...Anybody?...Bueller...Bueller....

Classic!

No, it will only work if the codes are entered within 30 days of the newbie's first connection to the Shop Channel.

I still dont get how this works. What if you have bought a second hand Wii and its already been online, will that not count?

I still dont get how this works. What if you have bought a second hand Wii and its already been online, will that not count?

I wouldn't think so, no. Although I can't see the margin of amateur consumers needing help getting online who by second-hand consoles being all that wide.

I wonder what happens if you format your second wii's internal memory?

Thats what I was thinking especially with me picking up a black Wii in a few weeks. Im wondering if you could just keep reformatting the memory over and over. Probably not as im sure it would have been all around the net if it was that simple.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Smackdown VS Raw 2010 on Wii is bloody brilliant. Gave it a whirl tonight and just couldn't put it down. Classic/cube controls are good too. :-D

Yeah I got it the other day and it's the best 'rasslin game on the Wii by a mile. Ironically it's mainly because it does away with motion controls and is a straight PS2 port...

Still, much fun to play and I'm looking forward to getting a few friends round to enjoy this one to the extreme.

Think I agree with this...

Here is the problem with that though, it would be a case of too little, too late.

Nintendo has spent the past two years on Wii, ignoring the core gaming demo. Even if today's low numbers were to spur Nintendo into a flurry of making games that appeal to core gamers, you are still looking at another 18 to 24 months of game development, before we'd see fruition of those new efforts. So we would be talking about halfway into 2011, before a slew of core gamer-centric titles would hit the system.

Meanwhile, with absense of core games from the system for such and extended period of time, the system has become so associated with the casual gaming demo, that no one even buys any of the core games which are beginning to surface on the system. So core games like Dead Space: Extraction, No More Heroes, MadWorld, etc. that developers were willing to take a risk and bring out on the Wii, simply are not selling. It's a story very similar to GTA: China Town Wars on the DS, franchising that otherwise would sell millions of copies, are barely making it to the 100,000 unit sold mark. So if it's a core game and does not have Mario or Sonic or Metroid in the name of the title, then it simply is not selling squat on Wii. And that is now, after two years of abandonment for the core game by Nintendo. Waiting another 18 to 24 months for Nintendo to look at today's dismal numbers, and then attempt to turn that around by finally introducing a slew of core-centric games, is just too long down the pipe to do any good for the system. So they'll put out another Mario and Zelda and Metroid, and those games will sell phenomenally, but nothing else on the system will . . . especially now that the casual demographic who are only averaging two or three games/year per person in the first place, is finally tapering off as they reach their saturation point.

More than likely Nintendo is not going to even bother improving it software lineup on Wii for the remainder of this generation. We all know Nintendo makes money on the hardware and is more than happy to just continue making profit from hardware as their main source of profit, so Nintendo is likely to pull a page from Apple's play book, and just introduce a new Wii next year - likely the oft rumored Wii HD, and start the cycle of casual gamers buying up loads of hardware all over again. Nintendo does not strike me as a game company too concerned about satisfying it's long term, core demographic, so outside of the next Mario and Zelda titles (Mario HD and Zelda HD), support for core games aimed at the core demographic following the launch of Wii HD, is going to be pretty much what it is now - non-existent. And the numbers (Nintendo's profitability) support that thesis. Notice how as hardware sells numbers drop, so does Nintendo's profits? While old Nintendo's (NES - GCN) profits were significantly tied to the success of software sells on their platform, new Nintendo (Wii/DS) profits are tied to the success of their hardware. So hardware sells good, and profits are good for Nintendo; hardware sells bad, profits are bad for Nintendo. So the obvious next move for the company is a new version of Wii hardware, they can trick the casual gaming crowd to buy into, most likely launching in Japan next spring, and Nintendo profits will go back up through the roof, if they can successfully lure the same people who already own a Wii, to buy a new Wii again next year.

Apple computers does this all the time, and is highly successful at it - just look at the iPhone 3G and 3GS. A considerable number of punters lining up to get one, already owned an older model of iPhone. And even with DS, Nintendo has proven resilient in this manner. Most punters who lined up for DSL and DSi, owned an older version of the DS, and simply were suckered into buying a newer version of the same hardware with minimal upgrades over the existing version.

So no, don't expect to see Nintendo make a turnaround on their software commitment to the core gamer anytime ever this generation - or maybe ever again, for that matter. So long as they are making profit on the hardware, and can keep casual punters re-buying the same hardware over and over and over again, Nintendo is in the enviable position that they never have to invest deep pockets ever again in developing the engaging type of software that typically appeals to the core gaming mindset. It is a sad, sad reality, but sadly, it is reality all the same.

Iwata: "Wii has lost momentum"

Nintendo's earnings report today showed the first drop in profits the company has seen in four years. For the six month period ending September 30, the Kyoto giant's operating income fell 58.6% from the same period last year to 104.3 billion yen. The Wii platform took a major hit, its sales falling 43% from last year to 5.75 million units. Nintendo ended up lowering its Wii sales forecasts for the full year from 26 million units to 20 million units.

Mainichi Shimbun reports that Iwata, speaking at a press conference in Osaka today, said "Wii has slowed down. We were unable to continually release strong software, and let the nice mood cool."

Sankei Shimbun, covering the same press conference, reported Iwata as having said "We were unable to show a new game to become 'the next thing.' In the game market, once you've lost the momentum, it takes time to recover."

It does seem that Iwata has a positive outlook for the Wii, though, thanks to the September price drop. According to a Reuters report from the press conference, Iwata said of the decision to lower Wii's sales targets, "With the price drop, sales returned to a certain level, but they just did not reach the level of last year around this time. We decided that it would be difficult to sell enough to recover from the poor performance of the first half of the year." On the new 20 million target, he said, "In order to reach it, we'll have to move quite a large quantity, but it's a figure we released after having felt the momentum returning [based off the price drop]."

[NOTE: I originally mistranslated Iwata's statement as "We failed with the Wii." The above is now the corrected form. ]

Edited by Dante

King V - I disagree with the crux of that statement.

Nintendo make games and make titles that now appeal to a wider range of customers. They still rely on Zelda, Mario, Metroid and other key franchises to hold onto a lucrative slice of customers (the 'hardcore'). Heck, we're seeing 2 Mario Galaxy titles on one console AND a 2D classic Mario game. Sadly 2D Mario isn't generating the buzz it once would amongst the core gamer. I guess 3D and online gaming is now the barometer for everything to the hardcore. Not gameplay.

The core gamer has become the bratty child of the consumer base, always expecting the world and looking for their next big title. This is across all platforms, not just on Wii.

Thanks to new gamers a lot of wii titles have gained the unthinkable: Longevity of sales. Those new to the industry are playing the likes of Mario Kart/EA Active etc and are experiencing what we felt many years ago. (Namely engaged for long periods of time and innovative software.) They are a future fanbase.

Just because Nintendo have catered to that audience as well (wouldn't you?!) whilst still providing engaging, fresh experiences it doesn't mean the hardcore have been 'forgotten'. Only a spoiled brat would complain as much as some gamers do. The seriousness is sometimes sickening. It's a passion but surely gaming is an aspect to enjoy in your life. Not THE sole experience of fun which becomes a battle ground of arguments.

Nintendo will always make great games which expand what we see/know as videogames. It was only a matter of time before videogames were 'accepted' (Thanks to Sony) and Nintendo have taken that to the next level unearthing a new gamer. Gamers of the future. And without them the industry as a whole will, in years to come, suffer dramatically.

In regards to 3rd parties. Some of the titles for Wii are brilliant. Yet 3rd parties are, for the most part all about graphics. It's the western mentality against the eastern one. Eastern titles play to a strength of design whereas a lot of western titles rely on tech. Now clearly developers are creating better titles than in previous years but the fact that we have 2 tech savvy consoles alongside Wii means by the pool of western developers - Wii should have less support as well as less 'design-focused' titles from Western devs.

In such a light, Wii is wholly a phonomenon proving once again that Nintendo can create and manipulate an entire Market through design alone.

Edited by tapedeck

King V - I disagree with the crux of that statement.

Nintendo make games and make titles that now appeal to a wider range of customers. They still rely on Zelda, Mario, Metroid and other key franchises to hold onto a lucrative slice of customers (the 'hardcore'). Heck, we're seeing 2 Mario Galaxy titles on one console AND a 2D classic Mario game. Sadly 2D Mario isn't generating the buzz it once would amongst the core gamer. I guess 3D and online gaming is now the barometer for everything to the hardcore. Not gameplay.

The core gamer has become the bratty child of the consumer base, always expecting the world and looking for their next big title. This is across all platforms, not just on Wii.

Thanks to new gamers a lot of wii titles have gained the unthinkable: Longevity of sales. Those new to the industry are playing the likes of Mario Kart/EA Active etc and are experiencing what we felt many years ago. (Namely engaged for long periods of time and innovative software.) They are a future fanbase.

Just because Nintendo have catered to that audience as well (wouldn't you?!) whilst still providing engaging, fresh experiences it doesn't mean the hardcore have been 'forgotten'. Only a spoiled brat would complain as much as some gamers do. The seriousness is sometimes sickening. It's a passion but surely gaming is an aspect to enjoy in your life. Not THE sole experience of fun which becomes a battle ground of arguments.

Nintendo will always make great games which expand what we see/know as videogames. It was only a matter of time before videogames were 'accepted' (Thanks to Sony) and Nintendo have taken that to the next level unearthing a new gamer. Gamers of the future. And without them the industry as a whole will, in years to come, suffer dramatically.

In regards to 3rd parties. Some of the titles for Wii are brilliant. Yet 3rd parties are, for the most part all about graphics. It's the western mentality against the eastern one. Eastern titles play to a strength of design whereas a lot of western titles rely on tech. Now clearly developers are creating better titles than in previous years but the fact that we have 2 tech savvy consoles alongside Wii means by the pool of western developers - Wii should have less support as well as less 'design-focused' titles from Western devs.

In such a light, Wii is wholly a phonomenon proving once again that Nintendo can create and manipulate an entire Market through design alone.

This, this and THIS!!!! : peace:: peace::bowdown::bowdown:

In all honesty. Both of you are right. I would agree with most of Tapedeck's post, but there are a few bits I wouldn't. Nintendo have made some great games this generation. Late 2006 to early 2008 was awesome, We got Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart, just to name a few. But, the price we pay for getting so many awesome games coming out from one developer in such a short period of time, is that for the next couple years, we aren't going to get much, since all the good developers have released their games, and are working on new ones. Finally, we're starting now to see these teams release their next games. Mario Galaxy 2 is the first one. And this is why I barely blame Nintendo for this, but you can't deny that there has been a shortage of Nintendo games coming out for the last year and a half. And while we've got a few decent 3rd party games, and the odd "b" game from Nintendo, it just hasn't felt like enough compared to what's coming out on the other consoles. Its not just a matter of design vs tech. What I'm talking about is the scale of the game, if that makes sense. There have been a lot of fun experiences come out over the last year and a half, but nothing created with similar production values or scale or anything to what's coming out on other consoles, or what was coming out on the Wii back in the first wave of games. The good news is that this isn't going to last all that long because we know what's coming out next year. I haven't abandoned Nintendo, I still love the company, but it has been a long year and a half since we've seen the sort of stuff we all love them for.

I've got to agree with Emasher on this one. But I am legitimately surprised that Nintendo don't plan to space out their releases so they don't have dry spots.

If we get SMG2, M:OM, Pikmin 3, Sin and Punishment 2, Zelda Wii and Endless Ocean all in one year next year. Then Nintendo have a serious problem.

I expect Zelda and Pikmin to be pushed back to 2011 TBH. Miyamoto wanted Zelda to come out in 2010 though, so who knows. Pikmin if anything because its apparently not very far along. We've also got retro's project to look forward to as well. I'm actually excited about 2010 in terms of Nintendo games though, its a weird feeling after it being absent for so long.

I expect Zelda and Pikmin to be pushed back to 2011 TBH. Miyamoto wanted Zelda to come out in 2010 though, so who knows. Pikmin if anything because its apparently not very far along. We've also got retro's project to look forward to as well. I'm actually excited about 2010 in terms of Nintendo games though, its a weird feeling after it being absent for so long.

I dunno judging by Miyamoto's comments yesterday of 'Pikmin be suited to HD' I'm expecting it to be pushed wayyy back.

I dunno judging by Miyamoto's comments yesterday of 'Pikmin be suited to HD' I'm expecting it to be pushed wayyy back.

That quote has been taken way out of context. He was merely discussing how he thinks certain games don't really need HD. He said that something like Wii Fit doesn't need it whereas some like, say Pikmin might be better suited.

Miyamoto on Zelda Wii and Zelda ST.

[Zelda ST] will be really fun. It's turning out to be rather challenging. Many of our Japanese customers were introduced to the Zelda series with Phantom Hourglass, and ST could prove to be kind of hard for them, but I thought we'd show them what Zelda is really made of this time around. So it's turning into quite a unique title.

We've managed to gather quite a few creative team members for Zelda ST, so I'd like Zelda Wii to also enjoy creative development as much as possible.

About MotionPlus. We're implementing it so that players can feel like they themselves are holding the sword. In the previous Zelda (TP Wii) the targeting was based on the IR pointer. This time however, we'll be using MotionPlus for a variety of more convenient targeting systems that will allow for more pleasant gameplay.