Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Smacking Ban

Strider

Do you agree with people smacking children?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with people smacking children?

• Yes
    • No

It's been on the radio and news today about how MPs are attempting to force a smacking ban into both England an Wales. (BBC NEWS SITE)

Even though i could imagine it being difficult/impossible to enforce i would like to know where the people of N-E stand on the matter. Do you agree with smacking kids or are you against?

My View:

I was smacked as a kid when i was misbehaving, not especially hard, but hard enough to know that i shouldn't have been doing whatever it was that i shouldn't have. Basically it just taught me not to do it again. Therefore i don't mind people smacking kids if they're misbehaving, so long as they know when enough is enough.

Thoughts...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More evidence of a nanny state. I said "yes, I agree with smacking" because I was smacked, and I'm pretty much ok. The government works this way all the time; imagine that you have this tree and there's a rotten branch but you can't quite reach it. It's not really affecting the other branches, but it still isn't right to leave the tree rotting like that. So you chop the whole FUCKING TREE DOWN.

... Yeah that simile needs a bit of work.

My thoughts: Yes, parents should be able to smack their own children if they are misbehaving. I misbehaved so i was smacked when i was younger and it taught me to not do what i did again and to listen to your parents. If this law was passed then i think the whole UK would have un-controllable kids even more so than now

On the positive side of this law, there would be little chance of properly enforcing it because parents would still smack their kids and put up a fight against this law being passed and so on.

I had to switch the tv off this morning, I got that annoyed at the argument.

I was clipped on the back of the legs as a kid, so were my parents and grandparents.

Do I remember any of it? No! It's ridiculous how the government want to control how parents bring up their children, don't get me wrong I can understand that it can be taken to far, as with everything, but it's just getting out of proportion.

A woman on tv this morning was saying about having items taken away from a child instead. Nuhuh...useless. As a child if I had something taken away from me I'd only scream louder and be more annoying.

It's similar to walking into something, pain tells you not to do it again.

edit: smacking to me is quite a big word, clipping or tapping a kid compared to slapping them in the face haha ^_^

Saying the word "no" teaches nothing. Especially with my nephew as when you say no the request goes from "Can I..." to "I want to...". The threatening of a beating may shut them up, but soon they'll learn you're full of shit and challenge you properly.

As many here I was smacked as a kid, and either way my kids are going to get it also. Saying "No" doesn't teach proper positive/negative reinforcement. They need to understand that bad things = pain.

My opinion has changed over time. Pre-parenthood I thought that smacking would be okay, but now I don't see a need for it.

There are alternative punishments that work that don't involve violence (that's what it is).

Naughty steps are the way forward. Has anyone seen Supernanny? Often the kids on there are being smacked but misbehave wildly because it is generally done in anger, which relieves only the parent. If there's a non-violent option and a violent option I think we should go for the non-violent.

I don't think it should be banned, but the old adage violence begets violence rings true.

That's all Supernanny seems to be about. I've seen roughly 3 [not all the way through] and all it involves is naughty steps, with an element of some point system. And it never seems to work, you chase them down and look them in the eye and shout [in a stern tone] to remind them that they are your bitch.

Guest Jordan

I'm really against it. I was never smacked as a child, its an incredibly stupid way of teaching children right from wrong. What are we animals? (okay, we technically are, but we have a larger range of communication skills.)

A good smacking/beating followed by some shaking never hurt anyone..right?

I was smacked as a child never did me any harm. But in todays culture/society it's frowned upon. I guess every parent has their own way of enforcing their childs behaviour and so long as it doesn't become overly violent/child abuse I don't think a little smack from time to time is uncalled for.

A great method of controlling unruly boys they used back in victorian times, and to a lesser extent today, is petticoat punishment. Just dress them up as little girls, gets all the fight out of them and they are much more compliant.

I can't see that working today. But it is a pretty funny/embrassing punishment.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!