N-Europe

Cost keck a bow aggen a woe an y'ed it till thee bost it?

Karl619

The person who first translates this sentence into English wins.......nothing unfortunately!

Now I'm a Stokie from Stoke-on-Trent. Yeh thats right that place you drive past as you go to either Birmingham or Manchester. We have a regional accent ...which seems to be a mix of every accent around us, it's really perculiar and this thread title is a common phrase which people in Stoke know :-p

so im just testing to see if anyone else knows of it.

The reason I bring this up is because at work the other day this guy had a go at me because I dropped a 't' when i was talking to him. He said that I should attack my 't' 's and speak clearly ...even though I was, ( i felt like attacking him, nevermind t's) soooo this left me thinking about the way we speak lol do you have an accent? What accents do you like/dislike best and do you think the guy who had a go at me is a jerk (because I do because i was speaking very clearly and heck, he'd probably have a go at a Glaswegian for speaking with dialect)

Phew! Discuss!:bowdown:

I don't have an accent. If I were to say I had one, it would be a weird mixture of english and scottish.

However, the Shetland dialect is the most stupid thing I've ever heard -

(I know I posted this before, but it makes me laugh!)

lol-3.png

Accents I love:

Yorkshire!

Russian

I'd love to know what kid of English accent I have...

Besides that, I don't possess any particular accent, I think. I may speak around with a Porto accent when I'm fooling around, but that's it.

And my Spanish accent is "guy who obviously struggles to find certain words in Spanish". Probably a hint of Venezuelan, too.

Some people struggle to understand me when I'm speaking sometimes. But I can drift between a mild accent and a thick accent very easily.

Also I hate it when southerners try to impersonate a northerner. "Tuh Lion Tuh witch and Tuh wardrobe." They spit out the letter T. Nobody even does that. It's more implied than anything. They would be more accurate if they just missed it out completely.

>_> So many people expect me to be stupid and chavvy here at uni.

Haha, yeah.

When people ask where I'm from, I don't say Essex, I just say Stansted, as everyone knows the aiport. Though they can generally tell when I start speaking comfortably around them.

Half the people I know are from Oldham, the other half Manchester-bred. I speak neither accent, and they find it confusing when I tell them I've always lived in one of the dodgiest parts of Manchester - they assume I'm posh because of my region-less dialect.

My accent probably comes from my dad, though. He grew up in Scotland, but had elocution lessons when he came - hence the monotony of my voice.

Don't really have much of an accent in Flemish, though I probably do have a bit of the "singing tone" we're supposed to have around this area. Just not as bad as a lot of people.

In English, I think I have a mix of British English, American English and some Dutch. Don't know, ask Flinky. =P

I assume i have a Yorkshire accent, but i can't really tell.

I have no accent, its everyone else who has an accent!

you have a medium broad Yorkshire, yes.

Don't really have much of an accent in Flemish, though I probably do have a bit of the "singing tone" we're supposed to have around this area. Just not as bad as a lot of people.

In English, I think I have a mix of British English, American English and some Dutch. Don't know, ask Flinky. =P

I really like your accent! It's cool :awesome:

(going on the post your room video thread. I'm not stalking you or anything)

Personally I have a kind of standard Northern accent. It's not too pronounced, as my parents aren't from Sheffield and, without wanting to sound like a twat, I'm from the slightly posher, accent light side of the city. If I was from the other side of Sheffield, I think a fair few people at the meet would have thought I was talking in tongues.

The thread title means something about "Kicking a ball against a wall and heading until it bursts." (I don't know what 'cost' could be, but 'bost' was the dead giveaway. But I reckon 'cost' is something easy.)

I'm a Brummie born and bred. This means I can watch an episode of The Osbournes and understand everything good ol' Ozzy says.

My accent is rather thin compared to people from Brum and the Black Country, but it's definitely distinct amongst other accents.

I love my accent. I'm a proud Brummie and I would be rather upset if I lost it.

Even when I speak in Japanese (which I'm learning atm), I would be sure to speak it in a distinct and thick Brummie accent. (Sometimes I pronounce R's like they were L's when I speak normally anyway, so that's not a problem.)

Darksnowman thinks I speak like a character from Coronation Street. I have a Yorkshire accent... I'm not sure how broad it is, but my friends think I'm posh.

From hearing your voice in the podcast, I still stand by this. Don't take offence though! And to be fair, since going to teh n-e meet I would have to say that everyone there sounded like they could have been from Corrie or Emmerdale! :p

There's an important distinction to make between a regional accent or dialect of a native speaker (and all native speakers have to have some sort of accent), and the foreign accent that non-native speakers have. I'm a native English speaker, and speak with received pronunciation, perhaps with a hint of Estuary. I'd say the English accent I like the sound of most is probably some form southern Irish, but I'm not really sure why.

Not being native in any other languages, I presumably speak them with mostly English accents, and my Japanese accent is probably the least foreign. (though still pretty poor I'd imagine) Incidentally, I'm told I speak what little Mandarin I know with a Japanese accent, which I found funny.

The thread title means something about "Kicking a ball against a wall and heading until it bursts." (I don't know what 'cost' could be, but 'bost' was the dead giveaway. But I reckon 'cost' is something easy.

I'd guess it's the equivalent of "can", so:

Cost keck a bow aggen a woe an y'ed it till thee bost it?

Can (you) kick a ball against a wall and head it until you bust/destroy it?

I like "y'ed".

Ballymena all the way! :D

I remember thinking how utterly crazy the northern ireland accent was.. Now i'm pretty much one of them.

At times my accent will take a bit of a twist when I say words (in particular my sisters name - kate) and when I speak on an answering machine I have been told I sound rather english... Not sure what to make of that considering im not actually english at all..

Suppose being brought up in different places will fuck up the way you speak :heh: