Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The University Thread 08/09

Charlie

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shit dude, that's awful. I realised mine's 'down' because we only get two installments in the last year. You going to cope at all?

My parents said they'll bail me out and just use their money as a loan, or failing that I might be able to get some money out of my trust fund but that's unlikely as I'm not meant to be able to access it until I'm 21.

So annoying though, they really should take into account that my parents combined income for the year will be around £7000 and not the £40000 it was last year. Although it does meant that my loan next year will be loads.

Guest Stefkov
have to go move in to my accommodation on the 27th. Then its freshers week and then we start the term in early october.

Can't wait too. just wanna go now. Got nothing to do at home....sigh.

Did you get a letter in the post or an email or something telling you when you can move in? I know it's different Unis but something like accomodation has to be along the same lines.

I havn't got anything yet, all I know is I enrol on the 22nd, and there's a sort of Open weekend the saturday and Sunday the days before I enrol.

I'm getting a bit worried now.

Did you get a letter in the post or an email or something telling you when you can move in? I know it's different Unis but something like accomodation has to be along the same lines.

I havn't got anything yet, all I know is I enrol on the 22nd, and there's a sort of Open weekend the saturday and Sunday the days before I enrol.

I'm getting a bit worried now.

I know exactly what you mean buddy. Up till now, I have recieved no such thing as an information pack....most of the info I've been getting for accommodation has been through the Uni's official website and various forums. I'm pretty sure I have to go on the 27th but to answer your question, no I haven't recieved any sort of specific letter stating a given date.

Question: How likely is it that I will get into uni with 2 A's and 2 As's? I'm not bothered about it being a great uni, just as long is it's not really bad.

My parents said they'll bail me out and just use their money as a loan, or failing that I might be able to get some money out of my trust fund but that's unlikely as I'm not meant to be able to access it until I'm 21.

So annoying though, they really should take into account that my parents combined income for the year will be around £7000 and not the £40000 it was last year. Although it does meant that my loan next year will be loads.

It's annoying but they have to do that as they don't know what people's income would be. Besides it means you got more last year than you would have done.

I have afew questions about UCAS points/Uni. If i did 4 A levels and passed them all with B's would that be 400 UCAS points for Uni? Or is there a limit on how many A levels the Uni would accept for a particular course? Considering that the majority drop a subject and only take 3. :confused:

A couple of the courses i'm looking to do are computer science and Civil Engineering, has anyone taken any of these courses that could give me a basic idea of what it's like/what's involved? I will be asking this question at afew of the Uni open days, but i just wondered if anyone could give me abit of info now :)

I have afew questions about UCAS points/Uni. If i did 4 A levels and passed them all with B's would that be 400 UCAS points for Uni? Or is there a limit on how many A levels the Uni would accept for a particular course? Considering that the majority drop a subject and only take 3. :confused:

A couple of the courses i'm looking to do are computer science and Civil Engineering, has anyone taken any of these courses that could give me a basic idea of what it's like/what's involved? I will be asking this question at afew of the Uni open days, but i just wondered if anyone could give me abit of info now :)

Most universities say from only 3 A levels. That's why you can't use the points from your AS level as well in most cases.

Also have you got any open days planned? If so can I come in your car? (read: I will be coming in your car)

Most universities say from only 3 A levels. That's why you can't use the points from your AS level as well in most cases.

Also have you got any open days planned? If so can I come in your car?

I was thinking of having a scout around Nottingham Uni (Not Trent) which is on the Friday 12th and Sat 13th Sept.

I was thinking of having a scout around Nottingham Uni (Not Trent) which is on the Friday 12th and Sat 13th Sept.

I did my masters at Nottingham. It's a lovely campus, but a bit far from the city centre for my liking. The only bad thing from that is that you can't easily go to a lecture, pop into town for lunch then pop back to a lecture.

Guest Stefkov
I know exactly what you mean buddy. Up till now, I have recieved no such thing as an information pack....most of the info I've been getting for accommodation has been through the Uni's official website and various forums. I'm pretty sure I have to go on the 27th but to answer your question, no I haven't recieved any sort of specific letter stating a given date.

I think I may have actually found a date hidden within the terms and conditions of the form I sent off to confirm I wanted a place at my accomodation. The 13th September...that is way too close.

I best get sorted.

Got my laptop ordered now. Supposed to come on Monday but I've been hearing bad things about Dell's deliveries so I'm not holding my breath. Don't need to sort out a young person's railcard now as well. I remember getting a railcard last year for traipsing all over the country to open days and it's still valid until the end of October so that's alright.

Have also signed up for a Peer Connections thing with my Uni whereby they select 10-12 people and put them in a buddy group so that you can meet different people from outside of your subject. I thought it was a good idea so I decided to sign up. Could turn out well or bad. Who knows. I'll just have to wait and see.

You can easily get a railcard through a natwest student account, although it's irratating that it's not £24 to get one without an account, grr. Mine's still ready ok for April?

I've not actually joined any groups for meeting people, maybe I'm being lazy, but I don't see the need?

Some people just won't need it. I think it's a good idea for me to do because the whole time I was at college over the last two years, I didn't step out of the social circle that I created with people on the subject I was studying. So at least this way I can make friends outwith my study group, something I find really hard to do.

Some people just won't need it. I think it's a good idea for me to do because the whole time I was at college over the last two years, I didn't step out of the social circle that I created with people on the subject I was studying. So at least this way I can make friends outwith my study group, something I find really hard to do.

Ah ^_^, I tend to talk to anybody if they are sat near me, I'm abit odd like that, or maybe annoying. If I talk to them before I meet them it'd feel abit strange more like an internet friend.

Yeh that's why I've signed myself up for it. It just cuts out the whole cringeworthy part of talking to a complete stranger from start. This way, I meet up with a bunch of people and get to know them. A hell of a lot easier for me. It's not like I'm shy it's just I can make a right prick of myself in the first few seconds of meeting someone. I've done it many times already and I'm sure I'll do it again.

It also means that if I meet a girl that I like it won't take me 6 months to pluck up the courage to ask her out like the last one. Not a very confident man but I get by.

Of the people I speak to on any form of regular basis at uni I met four on my course, five through those friends and three from having sex with them. I do a media course and some of my friends are doing pysch, sports, geography etc. You make friends when you least expect it.

Got my Freshers newsletter thing today. Doing the same thing as last year, even on the same days. Sunday is superhero night, Monday is 999 etc. Only difference I can see is DJs and Zane Lowe (that his name? the guy with lots of hair that presents T4) which is the biggest non-Hollyoaks whore we've ever had.

Moogleviper: you can roughly say that two AS levels is worth a single A2. it's all about the UCAS points, so it all depends on what specific grades you want.

When you start looking at the sorts of courses you want to do, you will see that the UCAS total asked for tends to differ slightly from uni to uni. Additional requirements often include a specific A2, graded B or above.

Strider: You can feel free to go for four A2 courses if you wish. I know people who have done fiveA2 courses. Not like the uni goes "hrmph. You have far too awesome a UCAS score. Fuck off." I personally have *thinks hard...* three A2's and two-or-three-AS levels. Seriously can't remember.

A = 120

B = 100

C = 80

D = 60

E = 40

... my course asked for 360 marks. Or 320. Or something.

Highers are worth way more in UCAS points for some reason, despite them being easier.

At the end of the day, most unis aren't as superficial to go by UCAS points alone. Say you wanted to study Russian, and got an A in Russian and 2 Cs in other subjects, you'd probably still be accepted.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!