Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The London Underground

Fierce_LiNk

I quite like the tube, very fast and loads better than walking/bussing it. However it does get too hot and crowded.

Last time i went i was stood near the door (on the inside) leaning against it. Now i'm about the same size as the door/just bigger than it, so when the door opened it took strands of my hair with it. It made me jump, however not many people noticed.

It's pretty good but it's absolutely rubbish compared to the French Metro in Paris - the frogs have truly got us beat there, they have trains arriving at platforms in less than a minute between each other. The underground in Madrid is also pretty good and much cleaner than in London.

Is it me or is it really expensive if you don't have an oyster card? I swear a single trip in Zone 1 is like £4?

It's pretty good but it's absolutely rubbish compared to the French Metro in Paris - the frogs have truly got us beat there, they have trains arriving at platforms in less than a minute between each other. The underground in Madrid is also pretty good and much cleaner than in London.

Is it me or is it really expensive if you don't have an oyster card? I swear a single trip in Zone 1 is like £4?

From my experience, so does the Underground. But somehow, every single one seems to be as crowded as the previous one, and you start to question just how few people there must be left in the country outside the Underground.

I tell you what Berlin has an exceptional underground service. Crazy cheap, efficient and not crowded.

I think it's the best public transport there is. I love it. It was never too crowded when I've been on it.

Yeah; it's not too bad if you avoid rush hour(s).

The way it all works actually reminds me of an airport; I think it's just cos of all the people and such.

If all British public transport was at least as good the Underground (but cheaper and cleaner), the country would be a much better place.

I tell you what Berlin has an exceptional underground service. Crazy cheap, efficient and not crowded.

It's just ashame the city stinks of shit.

I think it's the best public transport there is. I love it. It was never too crowded when I've been on it.
srsly? I went for a weekend to see Maiden and most of the zone 1 stops in and out of kings cross and oxford st. were so rammed that the door kept hitting people who were squeezing in.

It's easy to use and very regular, and I like that you can use your pass on various main lines as well, but damn is it busy.

I'll have to use it to get between home and Uni for when taking all my stuff back is not required. I like this idea, as I really like the underground up London Town.

I also have an affection for the underground in Brussels, as it's so, so small. Some stations are so close together that, if they're on a bend, you can see down the tunnel from one station to the other.

Last summer I took a trip to Montreal and tried their Metro system (first time I've used a subway system). Its by far the best way I've ever seen to get around a city. It was very efficient and the trains weren't even that crowded at rush hour. Though, Montreal in general has a great transit system, even their busses are good. Where I live our transit system is supposedly the worst in Canada, and Montreal's is supposedly the best, so maybe the reason I found it so good was because of the contrast though.

I love the underground - train every 2 minutes ans the all day saver fare is great as it xcuts ages off walking times. Great for getting around.

Also appreciate the engineering and the 1900s style design of the tube - brilliant. Although I can appreciate it'd be rammed in the morning.

To be honest, the only time I've ever seen it crowded was straight after a gig at the O2, and trying to get home.

Other times that I have used it, it's seemed busy, but nothing horrendous.

Saying that, the time at the underground after the O2 gig was strange. I was surrounded by the ex-girlfriend's of christmas past, as one woman looked the spitting image of my ex, only taller, and another person looked like another one of my ex's, but fatter.

I have to say I like the underground. From where I live it's so easy to get up into London and I have always found the train has good service. :)

It's usually completely packed in the rush hours but only once has it been so squashed it was uncomfortable... I was practically eating this womens hair in front of me!!! :/

I reckon if like me you have few screws in your head missing it is quite easy to get lost. I mean I have forgotten to get off at the right station before which then throws me as I don't really understand the underground at all. :p

As I have lived in London my whole life the underground is just the norm to me. I love it. Easy to use and you get to places a hell of a lot quicker than top trains, buses etc

Jubilee line is the closest one to me and probably the one I use the most, getting to work, going to canary wharf, going to wembley etc. :)

T'is very true - I've had lots of friends stay there and they've all banged on about how amazing it is. I used the underground service in Frankfurt earlier this year when I was living in Mainz but it was just beyond confusing - very poorly signposted and the only network maps I could find were on the actual platforms! It was still pretty speedy though!

From when I've been in London the Underground's been pretty good. It's quick and easy to get where you want. However, in a way I prefer buses. It's nice to see where you are going and see what a city looks like. London's a great city to just observe, and sometimes the Underground can be a bit lifeless.

Main thing about london that I only really noticed this weekend; a lot of the stops are crazy-close to each other above ground. normally I'd probably get two tubes without thinking about just getting out and walking around.

I don't really have any right to complain about how busy they are, because it's due to tourists like me that bog the system up :)