Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Jury Service

Falcon_BlizZACK

I think Platty did some at some point? Don't you get a letter telling you "Boo ya, get yer arse down 'ere, and don't tell no-un'.. cept, like, your employer and shit?"

Yeah I did it, was pretty good. 2 weeks off work and 2 good cases. Loved it, wanna get called up again :smile:

Just a bit of advice there will be a lot of waiting around before you get selected to do a case (if any at all) so take some music/DS etc

I think Platty did some at some point? Don't you get a letter telling you "Boo ya, get yer arse down 'ere, and don't tell no-un'.. cept, like, your employer and shit?"
Apparently it didn't say not to tell the whole internet.

Apparently it didn't say not to tell the whole internet.

From what I can remember it doesn't say you can't tell anyone. Just you are not permitted to talk about certain cases.

Is your employer expected to pay you wages for whatever length of time you serve?

Yeah they are. I had to get paid special leave to do it. But most employers will do it cos they have to unless you get put on a lengthy case that takes a few months but these are not that common, The majority of the time you're only needed for 2 weeks.

From what I can remember it doesn't say you can't tell anyone. Just you are not permitted to talk about certain cases.
I was just kiddin :heh:

I wonder if jury service would give me 'extenuating circumstances' to push back an exam date during uni time.

Do they put you up in a fancy hotel for free on long cases, or if you can't make a decision? (Like on the Simpsons)

Yeah they pay your travel and give you a fiver a day for lunch and if you are on a long sensitive case where you can't talk to the outside world they put you up in a hotel. (However, I am in London so it might be different for elsewhere).

I'd love to be in a jury like the one in Snow Falling on Cedars or 12 Angry Men, arguing the case with a man's future at stake, weighing up the evidence and witness testimonies to come to a unanimous decision. Unfortunately I imagine the real circumstances to be far less exciting.

Yeah it tells you details of time and location, but thats about it. I wasn't told to keep the details confidential.

Yeah they pay your travel and give you a fiver a day for lunch and if you are on a long sensitive case where you can't talk to the outside world they put you up in a hotel. (However, I am in London so it might be different for elsewhere).

That sounds great...The fiver a day thing ^^. I am in South-East London to, have to go to Southwark Court? (or something). What time do you usually finish? The annoying thing for me is that I work PT evenings from 7pm, lol, so they still expect me to come in. :/

Good thing you don't live in Canada. Here you get arrested if you don't go for jury duty.

Good job i don't, i got asked to do jury duty once, had the slip filled in and "accidentally" dropped it into the paper shredder and sent it back like that, never got into trouble and havn;t had a request for jury duty since.