Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Red Steel 2 (£4.95 @Zavvi)

blender

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine came this morning with the MotionPlus+, so quite excited to play it later, but also have a little work to do, too. :(

Why has this sold so ineffectively? Simple. Take a look at the Mario Galaxy 2 thread. People have spent a whole month arguing what they think the final boxart of the game will look like. In that time, Silent Hill and Red Steel 2 have both been released. Two very big third party games which clearly have had a lot of work put into them.

If anything, this just fuels the notion that Nintendo gamers only really care about Nintendo's games. If the gamers actually stopped for a moment and paid some attention to these games which are getting criminally overlooked, then maybe all this stupid talk of the Wii lacking quality games would stop.

Or, you can ignore all what I have said and wait for MARIOOOO ZELDAAA.

Why has this sold so ineffectively? Simple. Take a look at the Mario Galaxy 2 thread. People have spent a whole month arguing what they think the final boxart of the game will look like. In that time, Silent Hill and Red Steel 2 have both been released. Two very big third party games which clearly have had a lot of work put into them.

If anything, this just fuels the notion that Nintendo gamers only really care about Nintendo's games. If the gamers actually stopped for a moment and paid some attention to these games which are getting criminally overlooked, then maybe all this stupid talk of the Wii lacking quality games would stop.

Or, you can ignore all what I have said and wait for MARIOOOO ZELDAAA.

That comparison is ridiculous. Silent Hill has always been a fairly obscure title and has sold as many copies on Wii as it has on any other console. And of course gamers are going to be more excited about Mario Galaxy 2 than Red Steel 2, as good as the latter looks people were put off from being burned by the first game wheras the original Mario Galaxy was game of the year for a lot of people. And while basing a game on it's predecessor isn't really justified, that's just what happens and would happen on any other format.

Maybe this shouldn't have been called Red Steel 2. But either way the general score for both the games you named has been 8-8.5/10 and as has been posted several times on these boards a lot of people just don't have the money for anything but the best. Gaming is an expensive hobby and the majority will flock to what is the best game rather than what console it's on.

Does anyone have any actual numbers by the way?

In all honesty though, even if someone only owns a Wii, do you really think anyone but the Nintendo gamers bought these titles? I don't see the same person who buys My Family Training getting swayed into purchasing a horror game.

But at least it got into the Top 40.

That comparison is ridiculous. Silent Hill has always been a fairly obscure title and has sold as many copies on Wii as it has on any other console.

It's not that ridiculous when you think about it. You hear all this talk of a lack of mature third party releases in genres that Nintendo venture into. This is a high quality survival horror title being primarily developed for the Wii. What's more, I don't think this has ever appeared on a Nintendo system before. You're right, the series has never sold as well as Resident Evil for example, but the game could be doing a lot better if more gamers were actually giving it the attention it deserves.

And of course gamers are going to be more excited about Mario Galaxy 2 than Red Steel 2, as good as the latter looks people were put off from being burned by the first game wheras the original Mario Galaxy was game of the year for a lot of people. And while basing a game on it's predecessor isn't really justified, that's just what happens and would happen on any other format.

My point was that people were drooling over mock-ups and boxarts of games that won't be released for many months, whilst other important games are available right now. The first game sold over a million, and judging from impressions and reviews, this is a much more polished product. Sure, some will be put off by the first, but this has very little relation to the first, apart from the name. Again, it's a high quality third party title in a genre that Nintendo do not want to venture in. Clearly there is a market, because the first game did well. So, why isn't this one selling? I understand the argument about the name, but I don't completely buy it.

Maybe this shouldn't have been called Red Steel 2. But either way the general score for both the games you named has been 8-8.5/10 and as has been posted several times on these boards a lot of people just don't have the money for anything but the best. Gaming is an expensive hobby and the majority will flock to what is the best game rather than what console it's on.

The "best game" is subjective, though. An 8.5 score for a game is a really, really good score...as is an 8. I'm sure I've seen 9s for Silent Hill and maybe a few for Red Steel 2. But, if an 8.5 game isn't regarded as "one of the best games" on the system, then third parties should just shut up shop and go home. That type of score means that the game is a very high quality product. Isn't that what we want, High Quality titles with variety? You're right, gaming is expensive, but with the Wii there is definitely a reluctance for people to splash their cash. People are never skint whenever there's a new Zelda, mind.

In all honesty though, even if someone only owns a Wii, do you really think anyone but the Nintendo gamers bought these titles? I don't see the same person who buys My Family Training getting swayed into purchasing a horror game.

But at least it got into the Top 40.

I do think there's a different breed. By Nintendo gamers, I mean people who solely buy Nintendo developed or published games. The people who never buy third party games. There is a different breed who will happily buy Little King's Story or Dead Space Extraction, or even games like The Conduit.

~ ~ ~

Played about 2 hours of the game. Love it. Can't wait to play more. :)

I'm not surprised this hasn't sold as well as some perhaps predicted.

Mind you - Wii software resides in a slower burning market place so we will see how it fares in the long run.

Red Steel probably burnt more wii gamers than any other title. Throw in Ubi's dodgy Wii credentials and the facet of needing Motion + and you have a title which was relying on slick cell shading in a setting which is a wholly acquired taste.

Time will tell but even when playing this (and, it's definitely an 80% game for me) I get the impression it, in places, lacks polish/quality.

I can't put this sucker down. Played a bit more after dinner...which meant I did none of the work I had planned.

Really like it. Love it, even. Love the setting, the controls, the sound, just about everything. The Guillotine move is great and I'm whoring that. :heh:

I'm not surprised this hasn't sold as well as some perhaps predicted.

Mind you - Wii software resides in a slower burning market place so we will see how it fares in the long run.

Red Steel probably burnt more wii gamers than any other title. Throw in Ubi's dodgy Wii credentials and the facet of needing Motion + and you have a title which was relying on slick cell shading in a setting which is a wholly acquired taste.

Time will tell but even when playing this (and, it's definitely an 80% game for me) I get the impression it, in places, lacks polish/quality.

Where do you think it lacks polish or quality? I think I could probably name an area or two, but just curious about what you think first.

polish is mainly in regards to the interface and design of menu's etc...The woman doing the video's....I can't decide if that's good or not. It's not Wii Fit y'know?

Quality wise we're talking the above and certain gameplay elements. It feels obnoxiously fleshed out in parts. I love the controls/setting and entire vibe but there is a lot of backtracking/fleshing out and general lack of focus at times.

Mind you...when you get a stunning action moment (first truck scene where you're hanging on for dear life) it threatens to click into place and escalate into AAA territory before planting you back into 'wandering' mode.

Still...the controls make it stellar. I honestly think it's a wholly refreshing, impressive and absorbing title but it's just shy of a must own for me.

polish is mainly in regards to the interface and design of menu's etc...The woman doing the video's....I can't decide if that's good or not. It's not Wii Fit y'know?

Quality wise we're talking the above and certain gameplay elements. It feels obnoxiously fleshed out in parts. I love the controls/setting and entire vibe but there is a lot of backtracking/fleshing out and general lack of focus at times.

Mind you...when you get a stunning action moment (first truck scene where you're hanging on for dear life) it threatens to click into place and escalate into AAA territory before planting you back into 'wandering' mode.

Still...the controls make it stellar. I honestly think it's a wholly refreshing, impressive and absorbing title but it's just shy of a must own for me.

See, I thought the backtracking would annoy me, but I'm not all that bothered by it. I would have liked the first cutscene to have been playable, like the truck scene that you mentioned. I was expecting some sort of quicktime event but nothing happened. Then, when you "save" Jian, I was expecting some sort of fight, but it was just a cutscene. A little disappointed at those bits.

The controls and gameplay during fights really are excellent, though. Absorbing is the right word for it.

Hm, I think it's great for a Wii game, but I understand those with multiple systems picking up stuff like GoW 3, Bayonetta, Bad Company 2, Heavy Rain or Mass Effect 2 instead. Most people can only afford a couple of games each quarter. Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake out soon as well.

Fierce, I understand what you're saying completely and would have loved this to have sold better, but I'm just supporting the reasons this didn't do as well as some might have hoped. Like the whole score thing, sure 8.5 is a great score, but when you own other consoles or a PC you have 10/10s being thrown around every other month, undeservingly or not, that's going to convince someone to buy God of War 3 or FFXIII over Red Steel 2. That's another thing, not the best month to release a third-party wii game :heh:

As for the rare breed of gamer who buys games such as LKS and the like, I think they're rare on all consoles and if anything are more apparant on Nintendo ones. If Little King's Story was released on another console, I don't see it doing half as well.

I know I'm writing this in a way which implies "You're wrong! STFU!" but honestly, I'm on your side. I'm just trying defend this game's sales, because I think while it hasn't lit the gaming world on fire, it's done a hell of a lot better than what could have been an utter disaster. There are many reasons as to why this could have done a lot worse.

And who knows, sales could always pick up, that seems to be the norm on Wii lately.

Perhaps it was the delays?

Did anyone at all think that perhaps why this isn't doing extremely well in the weekly sales is because it was released at the very end of the week? It came out on Friday in Europe guys, of course the weekly sales are going to be dull.

Honestly, it hasn't even been out 5 days yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it will succeed, but lets at least wait a good month before determining how well it sold. Weekly figures when it came out on Friday are not a good indication.

All games come out on a Friday over here in Europe, unless its a big game and exceptions are made to have a worldwide release like Halo, FF, CoD etc. So every new entry in this weeks chart came out at the same time as Red Steel 2 which is why the sales look pretty bad when you see a game like Prison Break actually outsell it on 2 different consoles.

I haven't picked this up. Maybe (probably) in the future.

Why not yet? Well, in a couple of words (or abbreviations): GoWIII, Heavy Rain, RE5: Gold edition, Yakuza 3.

So yes, the argument about bad timing stands. If this would have come out sooner or later, I'd have picked it up without a second thought. Now it'll just have to wait.

Did anyone at all think that perhaps why this isn't doing extremely well in the weekly sales is because it was released at the very end of the week? It came out on Friday in Europe guys, of course the weekly sales are going to be dull.

Honestly, it hasn't even been out 5 days yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it will succeed, but lets at least wait a good month before determining how well it sold. Weekly figures when it came out on Friday are not a good indication.

I still believe it was the delays! At the end of 2009, most of the big hitters were delayed till Feb/March. If this came out in November, gamers might have picked it up knowing they had till March 2010 to wait/get there other games!

This was going to be released Feb 2010 but it was delayed till end-of March, after the amazing big hitters from Xbox 360 and PS3! Not a good idea, because this is a 'gamers' game and their money was spent elsewhere.

BUT i agree, lets see if it does any better a few weeks down the line.

Edited by Owen

And................................ its officially over, accourding to VGcharts(thay are pretty accurate) the game only sold 12,439 times in Europe and Australia.

If the US sales are simular and it doesnt recover in its second week we can officially say:

:weep::weep::weep:bye bye wii core 3rd party support :weep::weep::weep:

So anyone who has the slightest doubt if he want to get this games, please buy it. This is also for the people who are waiting a view weeks untill they buy this game.

The core 3th party trackrecord is so bad at this point, so do you want more good games for your wii than you know what to do.

the facet of needing Motion +

Largely the reason why I haven't been interested in giving this a look, plus I've overspent a little on 'other' systems, with plenty more on the shopping list.

May pick it up when it's cheaper but TBH, unless I find a compelling enough reason to buy into the whole Motion+ lark then I may not bother.

I say its becuse Pokemon was out on the same day so they got Pokemon instead of Red Steel 2 but I got both pokemon games and this my Red Steel 2 game from play.com came today.

we can search all year for reasons why it isn’t selling, but Pokémon has an entire other audience than red steel 2. And the lack of sales only proves to 3rd party developers that even good quality core titles arent selling on the wii.

And................................ its officially over, accourding to VGcharts(thay are pretty accurate) the game only sold 12,439 times in Europe and Australia.

VGChartz are very rarely accurate, I wouldn't put much faith in their numbers.

There are many reasons why this hasn't sold as many as people might think it should have. You could list the possible reasons all day long. Ultimately it would come down to the fact that it's the wrong game for the platform.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!