N-Europe

Halo 3 Kid. In 10 years time..

Dyson

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if used resposibly

That there is the key. As many responsible people there are, there's a larger number of idiots who don't know what they're dealing with.

Even if one is responsible, the risk is still there. Here's an old story:

As a kid, I once picked up an old rifle a cousin of mine had in his room. He didn't know I was in his room, and he didn't know I had managed to find that gun. Thinking it was an old toy, I "shot" it at him from behind.

Now, see if it was an actual, loaded rifle (or any kind of gun, really) that he was keeping, I could've shot him for real.

Considering said cousin is pretty responsible, and I was a behaved kid (who never even showed any interest in guns. I was just bored out of my mind), an accident could've ocurred, even in a pretty safe environment.

much like a knife or sword, or any garden tools.

See, the chance of a knife (or any kind of melee weapon) killing someone by accident is much, much lower than that of a gun.

Even if not by accident, it's easier (and faster) to pull a trigger that it is to stab (or hit) someone.

Finally, there's no reason for a normal, peaceful person to have a gun. Those whose jobs require it can get a license for it. And even then, they must be submitted through a psicological test, to make sure they can use it well.

Well, technically, its not the games fault that it was purchased for an 11 year old. If the parents hadn't bought the game for him, he wouldn't have seen the stuff in the game and wouldn't be able to replicate it.

1. He was too young to play the game.

2. We can't blame games, the weapons on halo arent realistic in the slightest

3. His parent shouldn't leaave a gun where he can get it

4. i dont know why i quoted emasher lol

That there is the key. As many responsible people there are, there's a larger number of idiots who don't know what they're dealing with.

Even if one is responsible, the risk is still there. Here's an old story:

As a kid, I once picked up an old rifle a cousin of mine had in his room. He didn't know I was in his room, and he didn't know I had managed to find that gun. Thinking it was an old toy, I "shot" it at him from behind.

Now, see if it was an actual, loaded rifle (or any kind of gun, really) that he was keeping, I could've shot him for real.

Considering said cousin is pretty responsible, and I was a behaved kid (who never even showed any interest in guns. I was just bored out of my mind), an accident could've ocurred, even in a pretty safe environment.

See, the chance of a knife (or any kind of melee weapon) killing someone by accident is much, much lower than that of a gun.

Even if not by accident, it's easier (and faster) to pull a trigger that it is to stab (or hit) someone.

Finally, there's no reason for a normal, peaceful person to have a gun. Those whose jobs require it can get a license for it. And even then, they must be submitted through a psicological test, to make sure they can use it well.

see, the gun wasnt stored carfully, it wasn't locked away, nor were you properly aware what to do in the event you found a gun (never point a gun, even unloaded, at any one you dont mean to make dead).

id say accidentswere more common from knives and the like, though they are less likly to kill due to the power of a gun. but its an unfair parralel, seing as how much more often knives are used then guns.

i agree, guns should be under stricter controle, but the vast majority of legal gun owners use them in a responsible manner, and for work/recreational or security purpouses. a couple of my uncles own guns. they use them for sport and occashional game hunts. they both have kids who grew up in the house with the gun. both were sensible enough to keep the guns in a locked cabinet, and they were not properly assambled, so that even if the gun had been found, it would need to be propely assembled, apparently a rather difficult task.

id say accidentswere more common from knives and the like, though they are less likly to kill due to the power of a gun. but its an unfair parralel, seing as how much more often knives are used then guns.

Yes, that's true. Even knife accidents rarely end up in massive wounds, though.

see, the gun wasnt stored carfully, it wasn't locked away, nor were you properly aware what to do in the event you found a gun (never point a gun, even unloaded, at any one you dont mean to make dead).

i agree, guns should be under stricter controle, but the vast majority of legal gun owners use them in a responsible manner, and for work/recreational or security purpouses. a couple of my uncles own guns. they use them for sport and occashional game hunts. they both have kids who grew up in the house with the gun. both were sensible enough to keep the guns in a locked cabinet, and they were not properly assambled, so that even if the gun had been found, it would need to be propely assembled, apparently a rather difficult task.

Yes, everything you said makes sense, considering we're talking about hunting rifles. I don't have much against them, because most people who own them (outside the US, at least) have acquired a license, and possess a sense of responsibility (or they wouldn't have the license).

Even my cousin's wasn't locked, because it was old and empty (a heirloom, IIRC).

What happens in the US is not the case. Anyone, regardless of psychological condition or awareness, can keep a gun. And if they go by the "self-defense" excuse, they don't keep them locked, they keep them at hand.

My point is, I'm not against guns per se, I'm against the american policy on them.

It shouldn't be a right, it should be a responsibility reserved for the capable.

Do they have the right to bear arms, or the right to bear firearms?

If its just the right to bear arms, couldn't they just say, "In this case, arms are defined as a knife" or something like that.

The right to bare arms, in the most literal sense, meaning guns, also, they background check you when you purchase a gun (they also give them away for free when you go and open up certain bank accounts, hmm, yes). If you've had a crime committed, you can't purchase a couple of the more powerful guns. Instead, you can buy lesser guns that still kill >.>

Psychological - sorry, its my passion. I just couldnt let that spelling mistake pass. lol.

Psychological - sorry, its my passion. I just couldnt let that spelling mistake pass. lol.

Heh, no worries. I'm a bit of a grammar nazi myself.

In my defense, it was late, and I was thinking in Portuguese. :heh:

The right to bare arms, in the most literal sense, meaning guns, also, they background check you when you purchase a gun (they also give them away for free when you go and open up certain bank accounts, hmm, yes). If you've had a crime committed, you can't purchase a couple of the more powerful guns. Instead, you can buy lesser guns that still kill >.>

Like that Simpsons episode:

Homer: So, can I have a gun?

Gun Store Clerk: Well, you are mentally unstable, and you have a violent behaviour.

Homer: *gasp*

Gun Store Clerk: It means you can't have more than 3 guns.

... is the right to go topless. The right to bear arms, on the other hand ...

Shame on you for not noticing that, LukeLee. :nono: :p

About the Halo Kid, I feel truly sorry for him. Though I can't help but wonder how the hell you manage to shoot yourself in the head with a rifle.

... is the right to go topless. The right to bear arms, on the other hand ...

Shame on you for not noticing that, LukeLee. :nono: :p

About the Halo Kid, I feel truly sorry for him. Though I can't help but wonder how the hell you manage to shoot yourself in the head with a rifle.

TBH, there's no evidence this was an accident.

well, by the sounds of the crime scene id think accidnet.

the magazine had been removed from the rifle. thats very important. why remove the magazine if your killing your self? as was said, it sounds like he didnt realise there was a round in the barrel.

that said, i can imagine if kids had seen the video of him, hed get a fair bit of teasing, its not impossible to belive he killed himself as a result.

Firstly this is a tragic event, and certainly some sort of activist group (or Fox News or the Daily Mail) will blame it on Halo rather than asking how he was able to handle his parents loaded weapon.

But I don't think this person who died is the same guy in the video on the front page.

Firstly this happened in Jefferson County, in Texas. According to the kids Youtube Channel he is from Canada. Not only that his last login on his channel was "1 day ago" (8/Sep) and his last posted video was on the 6/Sep.

This incident from what i can tell happened on the 4th.

His Youtube channel also has his name as "Kyle" (or acually Kyl3) and the boy who had the accident was called Joshua.

So I think it is a different person who was tragically lost.

I think an article about the story just happened to use pictures of "Halo 3 Kid" as an example of someone "imitating Halo", i've not seen any article on the event mention youtube videos either, so just a miscommunication involving pictures used in articles which people recognised and then thought that was the kid that died too

I've been watching a lot of Death Note recently, I think it's helped my powers of deduction. :heh:

Plus if you go back and look at the video on page one, the guy in that doesn't look to be the kind of person who wants to play around with "real world guns", he made his own Halo replica weapons, if he wanted to "play Halo" in his garden or where ever the chances of him using a real gun (if his parents had one) i think would be pretty slim. He made his replicas to create the illusion, using a real gun would ruin that illusion.

Different people I think.... I wonder if the guy from the video is aware that people think he's dead?

I've been watching a lot of Death Note recently, I think it's helped my powers of deduction. :heh:

Plus if you go back and look at the video on page one, the guy in that doesn't look to be the kind of person who wants to play around with "real world guns", he made his own Halo replica weapons, if he wanted to "play Halo" in his garden or where ever the chances of him using a real gun (if his parents had one) i think would be pretty slim. He made his replicas to create the illusion, using a real gun would ruin that illusion.

Different people I think.... I wonder if the guy from the video is aware that people think he's dead?

i think so, his video had a ton of rip messegaes on it.

Deduction and evidence are two different things... :heh: But yeah, Death Note does that to you.

Well, good to know Halo 3 kid is safe.

Nevertheless, a kid died anyway. R.I.P. Jefferson County kid.

So at this point. I don't think we really know enough about this anymore to say for sure it was an accident. We really know nothing about this kid. Maybe it was suicide. When I was 11 I remember getting really upset about stuff. And I knew about suicide. Its just it never got quite to that point for me. Perhaps it did for this kid.