N-Europe

The Lisbon Treaty

Mokong

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i voted no anyway.

But in saying everything i really think most people voted no because they didnt understand it.

The government did a horrible job promoting it it's almost like they wanted to lose.

If people don't understand something they will say no. That's the irish way. We HATE change most of the time.

No not yet, but looks to be defeated by about a 55:45 margin.

IMO good. The last thing we need are more politictians. These ones making decisions for us from a far when the amount of influnence we have over our laws here is piterfully low and then of course theres our taxes there spending with very little openess on there spending (as is my impression) you just know they will never be too buggered by any credit crunch.

Im of the impression this for all intents and purposes is the EU Consitiution in all but name and what ever its called yet again we the in UK dont get a vote on it (which suits the EU and Brown just fine), and that says it all to me (mind you not that we get much of a say now we just have to watch as Brown bullys and bribes other MP's to get what ever law he wants passed).

Im not anti Europe im anti the Lisbon treaty as is most of Europe.

In my opinion, Ireland should vote no on this treaty as it is basically the same as the EU constitution. Why are Ireland the only ones allowed to vote anyway, might it be because Ireland never signed the treaty unlike the other leaders of the EU countries. Vote no is what i say and show the EU leaders that you don't want to be formed into one.

But as i am already thinking, Ireland's vote probably won't count as the EU will go ahead with the treaty no matter what Ireland say be it yes or no

Yeah sadly ide agree with that.

I get a feeling people think the UE is being led by this fellow here:

palpatine.jpg

Which isn't that far from the truth. Money and power fucks up the mind of any and every insignificant homo sapien.

I don't know much on this subject but if Europe were to unite would this mean a share in economic values? ie share the load? Surely this will strain the European economy.

The main reason we say a lot of people are not informed enough is because the people who are meant to help provide them with that information (the government) have not done their jobs right. /QUOTE]

:bowdown: Aint that the truth.

Yes because thats what the referendum and treaty was all about wasnt it :rolleyes:

The FRENCH said no.

The DUTCH said no.

The IRISH said no.

Take a hint Europe. The constitution/Lisbon treaty is not wanted by the people.

And if Britain was allowed to vote, then they most likely be added to that list as well. Europe, no-one wants a treaty/constitution take a look at yourself and stop attempting to get us to follow you.

I'd be interested to know how many people voted no because

1) They read and understood the treaty and had specific issues with the document in its current form

2) They don't like the idea of the European Union or Europe in general and were voting against Europe rather than the treaty

3) The main political parties wanted it to pass and they wanted to stick it to the politicians or use it as a vote to show displeasure with the government

4) They didn't understand the treaty and were not going to vote for somethign that hadn't been explained in terms they could understand

and

5) Were scared off voting yes by posters showing that under the treaty all children would be forcebly microchipped or because they were told by a singing turkey that it would take their rights away.

I thought that Scotland was famous for its sheep, not Ireland.

With most political parties pushing for a yes vote, and the tendency of the people to vote based on party alone, this seems like the least sheepish thing that the electorate has done in recent memory.

Personally I was beginning to be swayed to the yes side, but what's done is done. Hurrah for democracy etc. Besides I'm not all that much of a fan of the "Your leaders know best" approach the EU took.

Little annoyed that they insist on going on with ratification elsewhere. Surely a member state's rejection makes it pointless to even bother. Of course, knowing the Irish Government and its Democracy when it suits us approach, it'll be up for vote again and again until the people vote "correctly".

Also noticed a lot of Treaty supporters are being a bit sour about the whole thing. That's the way democracy is, you can't expect to win all the time.

I noticed the portuguese here aren't very fond of democracy (kinda like me).

I can totally see their point, though. Democracy in our country is a joke. More than half of able voters in Portugal don't vote. At all. And our political scene is way beyond stale.

Even when we had the election for the approval of abortion, IIRC a good chunk of the people didn't vote. And it was something simple most people can understand and take a side.

Anyway, yeah, should've won "Yes".

I'm in no way against democracy, voting on a fucking referendum you don't know anything about is joke for democracy. It makes it even worse when every anti EU politician in Europe goes to Ireland to campaign, there was so much No signs around you couldn't even see the sun.

I'm in no way against democracy, voting on a fucking referendum you don't know anything about is joke for democracy. It makes it even worse when every anti EU politician in Europe goes to Ireland to campaign, there was so much No signs around you couldn't even see the sun.

there were far more yes signs here in my opinion.

This is the beauty of democracy: everyone gets the chance to choose.

Sometimes they choose right, sometimes they choose wrong. I'm not well informed enough (as I doubt most people are here) to make a decision. The important thing is that th will of this democratic nation is respected.

I'm glad they voted 'no'. What we've got at the minute's working fine as far as im concerned so don't meddle.

I'm also glad due to the way that Briatain and all other EU countries weren't even allowed to vote because the evidence showed they would've voted 'no'. That's a joke. If everyone was able to vote and a mojority voted 'yes' then I'd be happier with a 'yes' vote