NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

After all that I was thinking... you can get female Component to male VGA.

Comp_to_VGA_cable_small.jpg

But this troubles me. VGA directly carries RGB signals while Component (YPbPr) does not. Surely signal interpretation is necessary in-between. So I think this goes out the window (must be an old standard).

I was also thinking, european connector (SCART) carries RGB directly, doesn't it? So why hasn't anyone modded it to VGA?? If we could do this, we wouldn't need to import D-terminal cable from Japan. Has anyone done this for GameCube yet? In fact, I think one of the reasons why Nintendo dropped s-video chip from later GameCubes in europe was because of this. And also that they wanted to make it cheaper.

That brings me to the next question: To those of you who are modding D-terminal, what signal is being carried in D-terminal?? RGB? I suspect it is, because otherwise you couldn't just rewire to get 15-pin VGA.

d-terminal.jpg

I'm a bit confused. I guess there is a reason why a VGA box exists because it provides a third-party microchip solution to making all this compatible. Put it another way - why would you need an expensive VGA box if a simple cable mod could do it? :confused:

Guys dont bother. Your computer LCD won't have a native resolution akin to a tv so it will look crap. You need an upscaler.

... and you also need a monitor that accepts RGB signals through DVI or VGA - not many of these.

Better to buy a tv tuner or USB pc capture card

argh this is getting all very complicated, why can't we just buy a vga cable like you can for the 360?

i was just wondering as the 19 inch seems to have a dvi-i socket and no component cables could i get a dvi-i to component adapter would this give the best look to my wii

i was just wondering as the 19 inch seems to have a dvi-i socket and no component cables could i get a dvi-i to component adapter would this give the best look to my wii

Notice that TV is not HD ready and by these specs it looks like some weird setup:

Samsung R71 specs

If i were you i would wait, save a bit more and buy the 23" version instead. By those specs i don't trust that 19" one.

And don't forget to check if it has gaming lag first, as they don't have Gaming Mode.

^ Now that looks more like a solid HDTV. But i recommend you to search on forums about gaming lag, or you can get a big disappointment. Also, check the specs of that model on the official Philips website, just to check if the ones on amazon are correct. I've seen multiple sites showing different specs for the same TV's.

argh this is getting all very complicated, why can't we just buy a vga cable like you can for the 360?

Because Nintendo didn't include a chip inside Wii that can output VGA signal. So you would have to feed SCART/Composite/Component signal into a 3rd party VGA box, and have it convert the signal into VGA.

Actually, I don't know that for a fact; Nintendo might have a way to send VGA signal out of Wii. I doubt it somehow. They would even exclude DVD playback to lower the price point (which I'm happy with tbh).

In theory I think it's still a possibility. Wii cable has 16 pins, right? There are enough pins for VGA signal so long as the right hardware is in Wii.

BTW I decided to buy that VGA box Shorty linked to earlier, just to see how good it is compared to the other ones I have. I'll update this thread with a brief review when it arrives.

Question ?

I got my 360 connected to my TV with component cable and will be wanting my Wii connected with component cable aswell, Is there anyway of having both of them connected with some sort of adaptor, or will I have to keep swapping the cables over ?

thx

Right well looks like I'm have to go the VGA box, will people keep me updated on what methods work? I'm not too confident with all this modding of cables.

could a third party company make a way to to have it all in a cable, that converts it all?

Gameplay seem to have updated their product descriptions for the RGB cable and Component cables with this short bit of text:

Please note this item will be in extremely short supply, we cannot guarantee orders will be despatched for day one delivery.

So it looks like there may still be a few getting to Europe. They still have the release set as the 8th.

Gameplay seem to have updated their product descriptions for the RGB cable and Component cables with this short bit of text:

Please note this item will be in extremely short supply, we cannot guarantee orders will be despatched for day one delivery.

So it looks like there may still be a few getting to Europe. They still have the release set as the 8th.

It has been like that for ages... like about a week after the cables where put on there site.

Its common sense that most accessories will be in short supply.. they aways are at a console launch

This has been asked in the previous pages, but I didn't find a straight answer. Can you use the GC's RGB cable with the wii?

I'm 99% sure that you can, but I just want to be sure...

This has been asked in the previous pages, but I didn't find a straight answer. Can you use the GC's RGB cable with the wii?

I'm 99% sure that you can, but I just want to be sure...

I think you can't, it won't fit the Wii socket.

Right well looks like I'm have to go the VGA box, will people keep me updated on what methods work? I'm not too confident with all this modding of cables.

I will review the VGA box when it arrives.

Before making this thread, I searched this forum. I found bits of info, including in Video Displays Explained and Xbox 360 threads, but all premature. I made this thread, hoping that knowledge would gather in 1 place. As it turned out, this forum seems more clueless than I am.

This is no surprise to me as google searches I've done over the last 2 years lead me nowhere either. I had to suffer trial-and-error by spending my money (which I'm doing again). Strange that there is little info on this; many poor students at college, boarding school or living alone would want to use 1 PC monitor for everything - digital TV viewing, console gaming and PC itself. It's the cheapest solution for having all at reasonable quality.

could a third party company make a way to to have it all in a cable, that converts it all?

If D-terminal modding goes well, then I reckon that's a possibility, just for Wii. Personally, I'm more in favour of a box that allows anything to hook up to 1 PC monitor (but I welcome any input on D-terminal modding in this thread). One D-terminal mod is a solution only to Wii and nothing else. With VGA box, you can do everything from there including Wii.

Say, 21" LCD Monitor + VGA Box + Freeview/Sky box = cheap TV. Flick a switch, and you can play every console, watch TV, alongside using it for PC. Unlike software solution which relies on PC CPU, a good hardware solution is independent and eternal.

Putting aside modding D-terminal for now, I've also come across SCART to VGA, but SCART side is male connectors and not female.

femaleVGA_maleSCART.jpg

I think there may be a reason behind this... but in theory I think direct connection is doable with female-to-female SCART adapter attached. In practice, I don't know what problems exist. There are problems with this, I reckon.

The problem would be with the sync signals. You need to apply some electronics to get it working on all monitors.

Question ?

I got my 360 connected to my TV with component cable and will be wanting my Wii connected with component cable aswell, Is there anyway of having both of them connected with some sort of adaptor, or will I have to keep swapping the cables over ?

thx

This is a tasty piece of kit you could use for the 360, Wii, DVD and P33 altogether lol it's a bit expensive but I'm sure eBay has something similar for cheaper.

N43CK-back.jpg

EDIT: And we have a winner.

I think you can't, it won't fit the Wii socket.

Argh... Why did they change the socket? It has been the same since SNES.

I blame component support :horse:

Hi, my new HDTV and my Wii component cables arrived yesterday and it looks like sex! (My TV is the Samsung LE32R74BDX)

I may post some pics later on if I can be bothered but it works great, no scaling lag (even with Game mode turned off!) and PQ even better than RGB Scart on an SDTV! (Everything looks so full and all the colours are nice and inky :grin:)

A word to those looking at the Wii on a HDTV, please for the love of everything that is holy and sacred, PLEASE TURN THE SHARPNESS DOWN! or else the game will look like that pixelated mess you see above. Turning the sharpness down makes it look much better as it smooths out most of the jaggies (I've turned down my sharpness to 30/100 and it still looks sharp, without most of the jaggies)

Hi, my new HDTV and my Wii component cables arrived yesterday and it looks like sex! (My TV is the Samsung LE32R74BDX)

I may post some pics later on if I can be bothered but it works great, no scaling lag (even with Game mode turned off!) and PQ even better than RGB Scart on an SDTV! (Everything looks so full and all the colours are nice and inky :grin:)

Oooooh I'm looking forward to this! :bouncy:

Question ?

thx

Use a VGA cable for the 360, its much better anyways

My TV is the Samsung LE32R74BDX

A word to those looking at the Wii on a HDTV, please for the love of everything that is holy and sacred, PLEASE TURN THE SHARPNESS DOWN! or else the game will look like that pixelated mess you see above. Turning the sharpness down makes it look much better as it smooths out most of the jaggies (I've turned down my sharpness to 30/100 and it still looks sharp, without most of the jaggies)

oo please take pcitures, i have the same tv as you i think, mines 26" though not 32".

Game mode is only dark and light ares are more contrasty arent they? Ive got it on for the 360 and it looks cool.

How do you turn your sharpness down? My remote doesnt look like it should hve come with the tv, so i doubt you could help.

BAD NEWS :mad: :mad: :cry:

It seems we in Europe have been shafted again! All RGB Cables AND Component cables have been pushed back in europe to the 15th of December!!

Play.com (who i have ordered from) have apparently emailed a few people letting them know of the delay, they have yet to email me though. Play have removed all reference to the cables on their site also!!

Game though have updated their site accordingly with the new 15th release date, Gameplay on the other hand are a little slow.

This is a tasty piece of kit you could use for the 360, Wii, DVD and P33 altogether lol it's a bit expensive but I'm sure eBay has something similar for cheaper.

N43CK-back.jpg

EDIT: And we have a winner.

Thx alot m8 :)

Use a VGA cable for the 360, its much better anyways

Ok thx I will look into it :)

Thx alot m8 :)

:D

Cheaper. However that guys in Manchester....My link is American. Save money or save time?

(ps the smiley face is the link, wow never done that before)