NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

I asked a few pages back about RGB and progressive scan.

Now I'm finally home and could take a look at my TV. It's a Philips with Pixel Plus two. Anyways in the menu I can select between Pixel Plus, Movie Plus, Double Scanlines and Progressive Scan. I closely looked at my TV: 2 Scarts and seperate audio, the standard composite with 1 video and two L/R Audio and Super Video.

Now I don't have a component input yet I have the progressive scan option.

Does this mean my TV converts interlaced to progressive scan?

And can I also select progressive scan with RGB or whatever cable in that case (I assume not)?

I actually also said a few threads back to another forum member that if your TV has a "progressive scan" mode, it's probably a "pseudo" progressive - it'll fill in all the odd lines on an interlaced picture but technically it's not real progressive scan because the Wii itself will not be outputting true progressive 480p. With an RGB cable and your TV's progressive mode turned on, you're sort of getting 480i.5 lol even when I'm playing the GCN and run the progressive mode on my Samsung 42" RPHDTV and using the component cables, it doesn't look anywhere as good as when the GameCube software is in progressive mode itself, that's the only way you'll get the real McCoy's progressive scan I'm afraid. Plus to answer your question about selecting EDTV 480p mode on the Wii's menu, the hardware won't let you select that mode until it detects component cables are connected.

But that PS mode on your TV will make your games, movies and the likes a bit less flickery :) you probably already know that anyway!

I ordered a component cable from gameplay, it still being despatched on the 6-7 of dec.....[opens site to check]...YEP!

I actually also said a few threads back to another forum member that if your TV has a "progressive scan" mode, it's probably a "pseudo" progressive

Sorry, I didn't really find time to read through the last few pages - tried to get as much as possible though.

Thanks for answering again.

And damn my TV with pseudo-progressive. I went into a specialized shop and asked if the TV featured progressive scan - yes of course. Now I have pseudo progressive - next time I order from amazon.:laughing:

Actually, Pixel Plus 2 requires the TV to have progressive scan as I understand from Wikipedia. Wouldn't pseudo-progressive scan as you describe it be the Double Scanline function?

I may post some pics later on

Do it please!

please for the love of everything that is holy and sacred, PLEASE TURN THE SHARPNESS DOWN!

Mine is on the minimum:smile: But i may turn it a bit up.

I have a LE26R72, btw.

does anybody know if its true that to see the difference between standard def and high def you need a tv over 32 inches cos the tele im looking at is only 23 inches as its for the bedroom but for £379.01 i want a tele that will make my wii look good and be able to give me a good picture when i decide to get an x360 (when the price goes down abit)

Anyone who has run out of component inputs can double them for only £9.21

using this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=34195&doy=21m9

no loss of quality in the picture, and no need for an expensive component switcher. Only con is that you cannot have both component devices running at the same time, but if you are hooking up a games console or DVD player this is unlikely to affect you.

n84an.jpg

Anyone who has run out of component inputs can double them for only £9.21

using this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=34195&doy=21m9

no loss of quality in the picture, and no need for an expensive component switcher. Only con is that you cannot have both component devices running at the same time, but if you are hooking up a games console or DVD player this is unlikely to affect you.

n84an.jpg

Was that a joke? Are you sure you know what a component input is? Or am i missing something here?

I think you're mistaking component for composite.

Component = good

Composite = bad

Was that a joke? Are you sure you know what a component input is? Or am i missing something here?

I think you're mistaking component for composite.

Component = good

Composite = bad

How is this a joke? This is a fact. A simple Y Splitter will allow you to double your component inputs with no loss of quality. Obviously you will have to buy 3 for your video input and an extra 2 for any audio input.

At the end of the day a component plug is ANALOG and so a simple phono Y-Splitter WILL do the trick.

This method is tried and tested.

Component cables have more than one cable.......

Thats for ...sound....

objection.jpg

How is this a joke? This is a fact. A simple Y Splitter will allow you to double your component inputs with no loss of quality. Obviously you will have to buy 3 for your video input and an extra 2 for any audio input.At the end of the day a component plug is ANALOG and so a simple phono Y-Splitter WILL do the trick.

This method is tried and tested.

Component cables have more than one cable.......

Thats for ...sound....

Try reading my post before jumping all over it. This method WORKS. Furthermore it is used and reccomended by many in AVForums.

Thats for ...sound....

WRONG Its not just for sound. Its for ANY Phono input. This can include composite video or component video. Obviously you will need 3 for component as component uses 3 seperate video inputs.

Time for a little education:

Cables - What are they?

Component video cables are used for the transmission of component video, often referred to as YUV, YPbPr or YCbCr. The most common component video cables consist of three phono / RCA connectors each end with 75ohm coaxial cable used as the interconnect.

I read the thread, but just for quick confirmation before the big day, is this a true depetion of cables?:

Composite<<<<<<<S-Video<<RGB<<<<Component

Time for a little education:

Cables - What are they?

Component video cables are used for the transmission of component video, often referred to as YUV, YPbPr or YCbCr. The most common component video cables consist of three phono / RCA connectors each end with 75ohm coaxial cable used as the interconnect.

ok so i was wrong...no biggie. I thought phono was just sound. my bad.

I read the thread, but just for quick confirmation before the big day, is this a true depetion of cables?:

Composite<<<<<<<S-Video<<RGB<<<<Component

Yup, that's the very order!

Thanks Bogbas. I thought it was something to do with sync. I had thought maybe one of the SCART pins deal with that, but unfortunately not.

What about D-terminal, anyone know? I'm guessing it is component based rather than RGB/sync that is VGA, but I'm unsure.

Obviously you will have to buy 3 for your video input and an extra 2 for any audio input.

Ups, i haven't thought of it that way.:idea: Great idea.

People are worried about short supply of component and RGB, but I'm thinking that come launch day or shortly after - you could probably walk into somewhere like Currys and pick one up over the counter :/

Plus if you start with the low quality display for a day or two, you'll appreciate the improvement more and the money will seem better spent :D

broken.jpg

Having problems with your sensor bar? Wondering which cable will get you the best picture quality? Having trouble keeping hold of the Wii-mote? Then this is the thread for you. Any problems you may have with the console or any of the accessories then post away and see if N-E members can help you out.

Well my tv will do HD in 720, but not the full 1080 (720 looks AWESOME on the xbox 360), so maybe the Lexsor one does the full 1080 and the others 720 like mine (mine didn't day HD ready)?!

Well my tv will do HD in 720, but not the full 1080 (720 looks AWESOME on the xbox 360), so maybe the Lexsor one does the full 1080 and the others 720 like mine (mine didn't day HD ready)?!
What size TV is yours again, 27"? It's a great TV!

Don't have a 360 do you?? Just seen one on it?!

What size TV is yours again, 27"? It's a great TV!

Don't have a 360 do you?? Just seen one on it?!

I've been given a 360 to look after while a friend is working in Austria, so should have it for about 6 months, at which point i'll probably get buy one for myself (which I was always gonna do anyway), it's currently plugged into the vga input of my tv and my surround sound receiver - looks and sounds awesome!

Oh yeah and it is 27", can't remember how much I paid for it, think it was about £500 and that was a year and a half ago!

Just got an email from Play.com to say that they haven't received any RGB cables and won't make the launch date with them. Mid December is a possibility now.