NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

Is it true that RGB is similar to Componant quality wise? I always thought that latter was better but recently I'm seen evidence and heard that they are similar... which suits me fine as I can't get Componant. :)

I've been following this thread right from the start, but am now looking at new TVs to buy. I want to best possible picture quality for my Wii so intend to get a Component cable (official).

What ports/sockets do I need on a TV to use the component cable for the Wii?

Is it true that RGB is similar to Componant quality wise? I always thought that latter was better but recently I'm seen evidence and heard that they are similar... which suits me fine as I can't get Componant. :)

I'd say RGB and Component in standard definition (480i or 576i) would look roughly the same, component may be that bit more cleaner but to an untrained eye I doubt the difference would be that noticable. I used RGB for years and was very pleased with it! Component's selling point is the fact that it enables Progressive Scan (480p) in games, something that RGB can't do. That's where the difference lies!

I've been following this thread right from the start, but am now looking at new TVs to buy. I want to best possible picture quality for my Wii so intend to get a Component cable (official).

What ports/sockets do I need on a TV to use the component cable for the Wii?

You need Component IN (red, blue, green) sockets on the TV, and make sure it's capable of displaying 480p. If you buy a HDTV it's probably to assume those sockets will be there. And remember, don't confuse these with the Audio L + R (red/white) sockets!

Also, regarding those comparison shots - you really have to see it running on a real TV or monitor. Trust me, once you see 480p there's no going back, everything else will look shite in comparison!

I know this doesn't really matter for Wii, but what's the difference (if any) between component and HDMI??

I know this doesn't really matter for Wii, but what's the difference (if any) between component and HDMI??

Component is an analogue signal, and HDMI is digital like DVI. Think only HDMI can do 1080p aswell while component can't because of bandwidth.

it may have been asked before but is the only cable you can buy for Wii the Component Cable or is there going to be an S-Video as well?

also is there anyway of buying an adapter that will convert component to S-Video or VGA or anything else other than composite.

i have a oldish HD LCD TV that only has composite, scart, VGA and S-Video ports so i need an alternative to Composite so as not to get a totally dirty picture when i play Twilight Princess.

i have a oldish HD LCD TV that only has composite, scart, VGA and S-Video ports so i need an alternative to Composite so as not to get a totally dirty picture when i play Twilight Princess.

your in the same situation as me except my scart socket doesn't seem to work...

it may have been asked before but is the only cable you can buy for Wii the Component Cable or is there going to be an S-Video as well?

also is there anyway of buying an adapter that will convert component to S-Video or VGA or anything else other than composite.

RGB, S-video and Component cables will be available to buy separately for the Wii at launch (hopefully at launch, that is).

And you can of course use the composite cables that come with the console if you want.

On a HDTV that doesn't have Component IN, you're best going for RGB. You could go for the roundabout solution and buy a VGA box, connect the Wii up to it with the component cable then connect the VGA box to your TV. At least that way, if I'm not mistaken, you'll be able to get progressive scan from the games. But if you're not that fussed and just want a nice picture, go for RGB, it'll give you the best quality down from component!

This is the TV I have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-14N21BS-14-TV/dp/B0000C6ZBB and yes, it is rubbish. Will I be able to use RGB on it?

For my GC I am currently using a SCART cable with three coloured cables going into it. Is this just a SCART adaptor for composite? I'm using proper scart cables for my dvd player though.

Advice please.

Wow, a mono 14" TV :heh: in all the discussions about using the Wii with 40+" LCD HDTVs and projectors, it's nice to see someone who doesn't give a fuck about it all really lol What you're using at the minute for the GameCube is exactly that, just a SCART adaptor for composite. You should be able to use the RGB cable on that TV no problem, I've seen RGB cables work fine on worse/much older sets than yours! I'd be very surprised if it didn't work - but if all else fails, you can use the old composite and SCART adaptor method again. When you say you use SCART cables for your DVD player, it's likely that they're RGB cables so you should be good to go.

So, let me get this straight, component gives you the same picture quality as RGB on regular TVs (480i widescreen) but does seperate the audio channels?

In other words, if I want the best possible quality on my TV with easy surround sound, component is my way to go?

isn't there anyway of going from a component to a VGA whilst still maintaining 480p?

isn't there anyway of going from a component to a VGA whilst still maintaining 480p?

If I'm not mistaken you can buy SCART-> VGA cables, if that works good enough. Nintendo supposedly has straight VGA cables out in the USA though, though I'm not sure on that either.

So, let me get this straight, component gives you the same picture quality as RGB on regular TVs (480i widescreen) but does seperate the audio channels?

In other words, if I want the best possible quality on my TV with easy surround sound, component is my way to go?

When I play games in standard definition (all my PAL games really) the difference between RGB and component is negligable. Component is definitely cleaner but I can't see there being as big as difference as there would be between, say, RGB and composite. It's when I play my NTSC games in 480p that the component cable shines.

If your TV has Component IN, by all means, it's the best way to go. If you don't have Component IN sockets, you're stuck with RGB or S-Video (providing your TV has an S-Video IN of course).

When I play games in standard definition (all my PAL games really) the difference between RGB and component is negligable. Component is definitely cleaner but I can't see there being as big as difference as there would be between, say, RGB and composite. It's when I play my NTSC games in 480p that the component cable shines.

The difference between RGB and composite running on my GC/TV is massive. Composite is a mess compared to RGB, so I'm unsure as to whether Component would be alot better, except for having a prog scan image. Then again, picture results do depend on the hardware you're running on.

And not all scart sockets support RGB btw. I have one that can receive RGB and one that's for S-video signals.

Doesn't component output via scart? Then I don't think I have the inputs (unless you mean the A/V front inputs) as my TV has 2 scarts and 2 s-videos but nothing more. I'm thinking RGB now, but I'll wait for some reviews.

The difference between RGB and composite running on my GC/TV is massive. Composite is a mess compared to RGB, so I'm unsure as to whether Component would be alot better, except for having a prog scan image. Then again, picture results do depend on the hardware you're running on.

And not all scart sockets support RGB btw. I have one that can receive RGB and one that's for S-video signals.

I think you misunderstood me Colin, sorry - the difference between RGB and composite is huge, but not so huge between RGB and component in standard def, that's what I meant by "but I can't see there being as big as difference [between RGB and component] as there would be between, say, RGB and composite."

Think I may of thought the word negligible was talking about composite/RGB. My mistake. But yeh, what you said was pretty much what I was saying.

Can every Tv that has HD, display 480p?

480p is not HD, it's EDTV. But I've never seen a HDTV that doesn't support 480p, so I would say your answer is yes.

a non nintendo cable related question:

Do i have to have the Red and White plugs, plugged in for my 360? the composite cables are plugged in, green blue red, but do i need the red and white from composite? the yellow isnt plugged, so i was just wondering.

@Sparko. I'm guessing they would work. I mean it shows it in the picture what it does kinda. However dont rely on me, im not as knowledgeable as these guys.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I know next to nothing when it comes to this kind of thing! My TV doesn't have component inputs, it just has composite and SCART. If I bought this: http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/YUV-RGB-SCART.html

And then bought the component cable, would it work, and would it work better than an RGB cable?

I'd love to say yes Sparko, a lot of people would be happy to hear they could convert component to RGB SCART but I'm afraid not! As the description says, RGB and component are different and it's only really a connector for use if both devices are compatible -- unless your TV has a component SCART (which I think are very rare), then it would probably work. But most component sockets on devices are the red, green and blue RCA connectors.

a non nintendo cable related question:

Do i have to have the Red and White plugs, plugged in for my 360? the composite cables are plugged in, green blue red, but do i need the red and white from composite? the yellow isnt plugged, so i was just wondering.

A true component cable consists of Red/Green/Blue connectors for the video signal (splitting the colours into the prime colours) and also red & white audio connectors. Those need to be connected to something, whether it's your TV's audio IN sockets or connected into an amp, whatever you use for sound. If the red and white connectors aren't plugged in somewhere, you won't get any sound coming from the console!

Make sure not to mix up the red VIDEO plug and red AUDIO plug too :laughing: