NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

A true component cable consists of Red/Green/Blue connectors for the video signal (splitting the colours into the prime colours) and also red & white audio connectors. Those need to be connected to something, whether it's your TV's audio IN sockets or connected into an amp, whatever you use for sound. If the red and white connectors aren't plugged in somewhere, you won't get any sound coming from the console!

Make sure not to mix up the red VIDEO plug and red AUDIO plug too :laughing:

Thats good to know. It's what i was thinking but I just needed to confirm even if it was a little obvious.

Does anyone have some decent comparison pictures between Composite and RGB? Sorry if this has been asked before (8 pages and me don't mix). Basically I have an LCD TV/Monitor display and it looks kinda crappy on my Gamecube using composite. The only better inputs it has are RGB and S-Video, but I'm not sure if it's really going to be worth the extra cash for an RGB cable if the difference isn't that great.

Does anyone have some decent comparison pictures between Composite and RGB? Sorry if this has been asked before (8 pages and me don't mix). Basically I have an LCD TV/Monitor display and it looks kinda crappy on my Gamecube using composite. The only better inputs it has are RGB and S-Video, but I'm not sure if it's really going to be worth the extra cash for an RGB cable if the difference isn't that great.

Yes, i'll do that Monday. In my HDTV, the difference between Composite and RGB are like night and day (component looks really bad). Still, RGB is not as good as i would like it to be. It looks much worse than on my CRT, but i hope Component cables and progressive scan will give me a great picture.

Anyone here have tried playing gamecube on an HDTV in progressive scan? Is the difference that big? I'm worried because i just got a Samsung HDTV recently and i want Zelda on Wii to look very good.

What method do you use to connect Wii to PC Monitors (VGA)? Particularly to LCD commonly available? Any bit of useless/useful info on this will be appreciated. Currently info on this is scattered.

In the UK, Wii outputs to SCART, Component and Composite (Will S-video be available?). During GameCube era, VGA box was good even to go from Composite to PC Monitor.

What VGA box has been your choice, or what one would you use for Wii??

If I could go from Component/SCART to VGA, that would be good. For GameCube I used various VGA boxes to convert composite. The worst case scenario would be to connect Wii to PC Monitor through a VGA box that you used to connect GameCube.

How convenient, I've been searching for the exact same thing. Can someone tell me if there is / will be a direct VGA output for Wii? Component+VGA box is a bit expensive.

There is a D-Sub cable (which is VGA) out in Japan soon.

EDIT: Well... essentially it is. It sends the same signal and with an adapter it can be made into a VGA output. Its totally possible and what i plan to do.

There is a D-Sub cable (which is VGA) out in Japan soon.

EDIT: Well... essentially it is. It sends the same signal and with an adapter it can be made into a VGA output. Its totally possible and what i plan to do.

Technically it's D-Terminal... problem is if the game runs at PAL 50 Hz, if it's like GC... no signal will be output. (hopefully wii forces 60 Hz in all of them).

I know the modding of these cables into vga is possible (it was done with GC) but I've never seen a simple adapter (without hard-modding) doing just that.

Indeed, all VGA inputs run at 60hz+ these days. Thats what i'm trying to get at rather than the cable connector itself. Its essentially the same, but i've done some research into adapters and hard modding... we'll have to see which is possible on Nintendo's cables.

Yes, i'll do that Monday. In my HDTV, the difference between Composite and RGB are like night and day (component looks really bad). Still, RGB is not as good as i would like it to be. It looks much worse than on my CRT, but i hope Component cables and progressive scan will give me a great picture.

Anyone here have tried playing gamecube on an HDTV in progressive scan? Is the difference that big? I'm worried because i just got a Samsung HDTV recently and i want Zelda on Wii to look very good.

I wish I had a way to show shots of Wind Waker on my HDTV in composite, component 480i and component 480p, you just would not believe the difference. Progressive scan gives a richer, more colourful, more detailed, sharper, solid image. I was shocked when I first used prog scan, all the text onscreen suddenly became really sharp and clear. If possible, I'll try to take photos of the TV and post them but if they're crap I won't bother posting :D

I wish I had a way to show shots of Wind Waker on my HDTV in composite, component 480i and component 480p, you just would not believe the difference. Progressive scan gives a richer, more colourful, more detailed, sharper, solid image. I was shocked when I first used prog scan, all the text onscreen suddenly became really sharp and clear. If possible, I'll try to take photos of the TV and post them but if they're crap I won't bother posting :D

That's VERY good to hear... err.. read. I should not be worried then. My worry right now should be: where to find Wii component cables in my country. I have found an online retailer with them and with free shipping. :D Let's just hope they have enough stock for me. Oh right... i forgot no one around these parts knows what a component cable is.:heh:

Could you please post those comparison pictures? I'll do the same for composite and RGB come Monday.

Thanks a lot.

Very useful :) I'm getting one of those component cables for my Wii, best choice if you have a HDTV :)

Btw, dunno if anyone noted it already but:

"Xbox360 can display 720p (720 horizontal lines resolution in progressive) "

That's 720 vertical lines, and 1280 horizontal :P

Technically it's D-Terminal... problem is if the game runs at PAL 50 Hz, if it's like GC... no signal will be output. (hopefully wii forces 60 Hz in all of them).

I know the modding of these cables into vga is possible (it was done with GC) but I've never seen a simple adapter (without hard-modding) doing just that.

I was the one that brought this up originally about the D-Terminal modding. The problem I now see though, is that this D-Terminal cable is different to the cube one. I've got an order with play-asia, but I'm going to cancel it then re-order once random internet elves work their magic and can actually confirm the cable can be modded. I don't know the in's and out's of it, but the GCN D-Terminal had a DAC chip inside it, and if the Wii one doesn't then simply following the old tutorial to mod it may not give the desired result.

And I would of thought also by now that all Wii games should really be outputting in 60Hz. Some of Nintendo's latter EU games only supported 60Hz, so hoping that it will be a requirement now.

Makes me laugh that someone in another thread is going to be using his Wii on a black and white TV. Buy a berluddy new TV not a games console that you won't be able to even see colour on. Fool.

wot?! black and white tellys still exist?!!!!!

Apparently so. I think it was someone posting in the video displays sticky asking whether he could use RGB with it. I mean what the hell is the point when RGB stands for Red/Blue/Green. lol :laughing:

Edit - Actually I was wrongly bitching. It was a mono TV. So I'm just thinking that's sound then. But still, I'm sure there are some idiots out there using games consoles on B&W TV's.

Sorry I'm a bit too lazy to go through the whole thread now so I don't know if this has been asked already but anyways from what I gathered Wii games will only (really only?) run in progressive scan if I use component cables?

Now the problem is that my TV does support Progressive Scan but no component cables. I only have Scart and S-Video inputs.

Now is there a converter or something so I can still adore my games in glorious progressive scan?

Very helpful thread King of Hyule btw.

Indeed, all VGA inputs run at 60hz+ these days. Thats what i'm trying to get at rather than the cable connector itself. Its essentially the same, but i've done some research into adapters and hard modding... we'll have to see which is possible on Nintendo's cables.
not all is bad though:

If RGB is available, VGA should also be, since VGA is just non-interlaced (progressive) RGB.
Source: http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout

let's see what comes from this; I wanted the pinouts for a RGB cable, since I have two for GC that costed me 1€ each (0,7£), I'd rather mod the existing GC cable into the new plug than forking 20£ for a new cable. but I don't want to be stuck in composite either.

This should do the job for you!

mk36.jpg

Heh I actually came across the exact same device for 10 euros so I took it. Thanks for the tip KoH, now I can actually use this one as an extension for my RCA plugins too with my MP3 player and GameCube.

I haven't bothered reading through this entire topic (other than the first post), so sorry if this has been asked.

How big is the difference between RBG and component? I realize component is better but seeing as I'd have to fork out a hell load of money for a new TV for that, I think I'm going to settle with RBG (as my TV can take that). So yeah, how much am I missing out on? From the descriptions in the first posts it's hard to make out the difference.

Oh and also, where can you get an awesome thing like that above for 10 euros..? I am rather interested.

Now the problem is that my TV does support Progressive Scan but no component cables.

Are you sure it supports progressive scan? If it supports it, it should at least have one progressive scan capable input.

As promised, here are the comparison pictures between Composite and RGB on my GameCube, used in a Samy HDTV.

Composite 480i:

img001na0.jpg

RGB 480i:

img000gd9.jpg

No camera tricks here, sirs. As you can see the difference is ridiculously obvious. Composite signal on an HDTV is really ugly and should be avoided at all costs. It looks even worse than that, as the crappy camera hides some differences.

Now it's your turn KingOfHyrule. Show us some Component and progressive scan goodness. I'm really curious.

Serebii, you told me Composite on your HDTV looked good. How does it look compared to the Composite picture from my HDTV i posted above? Is it the same, or does yours look better? Because i can't make it look better.

tv-nonflash.jpg

Isnt really zoomed in but thats how it looks on my Sammy tv. I used the settings that I PM'd to you and its in game mode. Looks beautiful *wipes tear*

Wow, that RGB cable is well worth its 30 euros. And I kept thinking it was a ripoff :heh:

Quick question; is the difference between composite and RBG very noticeable on a (rather good) SDTV?

And again (DCK), where'd you find that bangin scart box in your last post? Wantage.

EDIT: Ok, I just tried reading through this topic, and I am going insane from the amount of video related info I never wanted to have to handle. I'm just going to ask a few more questions, and if they're unanswered I'll end up punching someone.

Is it worth getting a RBG cable over the composite for an SDTV?

What the hell is this? Can I use this to connect the Wii to my monitor? My monitor has both VGA and DVI. Do I really need that ghey huge VGA box and component cables?

How do I know if the scart inputs on my TV support RBG? (there are two, and all they say are EXT-1 and EXT-2.) One is blue (EXT-1) and one is red (EXT-2).

And, again, that scart box there I really want.

That's all, I think. I'm just gonna try not to think about this now. I wish everyone would've just stuck with composite forever.. I feel like some old dude trying to use a computer. :(

Ok here we go - not a great camera and it's also very tricky to get good shots of RPTVs to do them justice! But you asked, and you got ;)

Here's Wind Waker in 480i (standard def) with composite on my 42" Samsung Rear Projection HDTV:

composite480ini9.jpg

Then in 480i (standard def) with component:

component480ito7.jpg

And finally, a few in 480p (progressive scan) with component:

component480pow7.jpg

component480p3uy0.jpg

As you can see, composite is muddy and colours bleed, component sharpens things up and softens colour (on my TV anyway) and progressive scan just cleans everything up!

And here's one more taken with the flash thrown in for good measure, just to let you see the TV itself. It's not as clear as the others but that's just how RPTVs work I'm afraid! Rest assured that Zelda looks gorgeous in prog scan :)

0001469ya2.jpg