Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The P-p-p-punofficial N-E Quiz

jayseven

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get to bump this because I'm the quizmaster for this round, and I have the quiz:

1. Write me a villanelle in a specific metre of your choice. (2 points) jayse'en gives us tetrameter.

2. When is p aspirated in English? Nintendohnut provides a maximally simple and predictive formal rule.

3. Tickets required for loud disapproval of royal skating display. (7,6) Moogleviper concludes the round.

4. Describe a method for testing the freshness of eggs without breaking their shell, and explain why it works. Eddage knows his eggs.

5. How do wolves ensure polyandry? Moogleviper just about gets there in the end.

6. What language is the following passage in? Noodleman es correcte.

"On denomina Evolution Chimic le studio del processos que haberea permitite al elementos chimic que compone le organismos attinger le grado de organization structural e funccional que characterisa le materia vivente. Le facto que iste processos require conditions determinate, que solo pote ocorrer in locos specific del universo, conecta le studio del origine del vita al astrobiologia. Le modelos proposite per le origine del vita es tentativas de recrear le historia de iste evolution e il es importante accentuar que non existe, in le majoritate del etapas de iste processo, nulle consenso inter le scientistas."

7. Which chemical was used in roadside drink driving tests prior to the debut of the Lion Alcometer? Moogleviper changes in oxidation state.

8. The following passage is from a well known scene converted into Shakespearean English. What is the original scene from? The fish speaks English, motherfucker.

A presses his knife to B’s throat

A: Speak ‘What’ again! Thou cur, cry ‘What’ again!

I dare thee utter ‘What’ again but once!

I dare thee twice and spit upon thy name!

Now, paint for me a portraiture in words,

If thou hast any in thy head but ‘What’,

Of ______!

B: He is dark.

A: Aye, and what more?

B: His head is shaven bald.

A: Has he the semblance of a harlot?

B: What?

A strikes and B cries out

A: Has he the semblance of a harlot?

B: Nay!

A: Then why didst thou attempt to bed him thus?

B: I did not!

A: Aye, thou didst! O, aye, thou didst!

Thou hoped to rape him like a chattel whore,

And sooth, Lord ______ is displeased to bed

With anyone but she to whom he wed.

9. Where does the name Supergrunch come from? jayseven confirms the derivativelessness (oh yes :heh:) of my name.

10. Which book on my bookshelf contains information about water bears? killthenet, the fine chordate that he is, identifies the work of Colin Tudge.

No bonus question because you've all been very naughty. (or, I can't think of a decent one)

4. As an egg ages it gets lighter by evaporation of water through the porous shell, causing the growth of the air space. A fresh egg is heavy and should feel well filled. Hence the old water test for freshness, a fresh egg sinks and an old egg floats. Holding it up to the light can also test the freshness of an egg. A very small air chamber indicates a very fresh egg.

4. Firstly, fill a fairly deep bowl with water and carefully lower the egg into the water.

A very fresh egg will immediately sink to the bottom and lie flat on its side. This is because the air cell within the egg is very small. The egg should also feel quite heavy.

As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface. The egg will still be good enough to consume, however, if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad.

4. As an egg ages it gets lighter by evaporation of water through the porous shell, causing the growth of the air space. A fresh egg is heavy and should feel well filled. Hence the old water test for freshness, a fresh egg sinks and an old egg floats. Holding it up to the light can also test the freshness of an egg. A very small air chamber indicates a very fresh egg.

Yep, pretty much. It can be useful to know.

4. Firstly, fill a fairly deep bowl with water and carefully lower the egg into the water.

A very fresh egg will immediately sink to the bottom and lie flat on its side. This is because the air cell within the egg is very small. The egg should also feel quite heavy.

As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface. The egg will still be good enough to consume, however, if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad.

Sorry, pipped to the post by Eddage.

8.) Pulp Fiction!

Indeed!

And the full Shakespearean thing, for comparison:

J: My pardon; did I break thy concentration?

Continue! Ah, but now thy tongue is still.

Allow me then to offer a response.

Describe Marsellus Wallace to me, pray.

J: What country dost thou hail from?

J: How passing strange, for I have traveled far,

And never have I heard tell of this What.

What language speak they in the land of What?

J: The Queen’s own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

B: Aye!

J: Then hearken to my words and answer them!

Describe to me Marsellus Wallace!

JULES presses his knife to BRETT’s throat

J: Speak ‘What’ again! Thou cur, cry ‘What’ again!

I dare thee utter ‘What’ again but once!

I dare thee twice and spit upon thy name!

Now, paint for me a portraiture in words,

If thou hast any in thy head but ‘What’,

Of Marsellus Wallace!

B: He is dark.

J: Aye, and what more?

B: His head is shaven bald.

J: Has he the semblance of a harlot?

JULES strikes and BRETT cries out

J: Has he the semblance of a harlot?

B: Nay!

J: Then why didst thou attempt to bed him thus?

B: I did not!

J: Aye, thou didst! O, aye, thou didst!

Thou hoped to rape him like a chattel whore,

And sooth, Lord Wallace is displeased to bed

With anyone but she to whom he wed.

1. A villanelle, iambic tetrameter'd. Kinda. Apologies for any spelling errors; after a while words ending in "ght" really started freaking me out.

In dreams of seas and astronaughts;

Small waves held high above the low

With sparks drawn blue from my cold thoughts.

I painted crabs on seismic faults

And saw bubbles replace echoes

In dreams of seas and astronaughts.

No knives or spoons I brung or brought

Could stop me carve my name in snow

With sparks drawn blue from my cold thoughts

I fished with skiis 'till I'd be caught

Still dusting armadillos toes

In dreams of seas and astronaughts

Ten cats with guns to guard my fort

From dots and dashes charging slow

He laughed and screamed in garbled squarks,

And smelled of bracelets made from gold

In dream of seas and astronaughts

First attempt. No editing. That's why it's lame.

1. A villanelle, iambic tetrameter'd. Kinda. Apologies for any spelling errors; after a while words ending in "ght" really started freaking me out.

In dreams of seas and astronaughts;

Small waves held high above the low

With sparks drawn blue from my cold thoughts.

I painted crabs on seismic faults

And saw bubbles replace echoes

In dreams of seas and astronaughts.

No knives or spoons I brung or brought

Could stop me carve my name in snow

I fished with skiis 'till I'd be caught

Still dusting armadillos toes

In dreams of seas and astronaughts

Ten cats with guns to guard my fort

From dots and dashes charging slow

He laughed and screamed in garbled squarks,

And smelled of bracelets made from gold

In dream of seas and astronaughts

First attempt. No editing. That's why it's lame.

I don't know, I quite like it. It's either very surreal, or mostly composed of kennings, or both. Either way, you've earned two points. :smile:

why thank you :) It's how poetry goes, isn't it? As a teen you get all angst and overburden everything with clichéd darkness, then you move onto ambiguity and novel metaphors to look right clever. I suppose next is seeing the beauty in the mundane and detritus of the world, and later I get all satirical, followed by a bit of wisteria and romantic reminiscence.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!