N-Europe

The Official MGS4 Thread.

Caris

Just got to act 2.

LOVED the bit with the Frogs!

Ive got mixed feelings so far on it. I think I need to get around the fact that it doesnt play like the old MGS games. The story so far is class though. Massive amount of cutscenes FTW!

I haven't actually found it that cutscene heavy tbh. Your right about how it doesn't really play like the other MGSs its taking a bit of time to get used to but I'm loving it.

Anyone listened to the iPod and podcast? Tis weird. I'll save it for my next play through me thinks.

Just got to act 2.

LOVED the bit with the Frogs!

I haven't actually found it that cutscene heavy tbh. Your right about how it doesn't really play like the other MGSs its taking a bit of time to get used to but I'm loving it.

Anyone listened to the iPod and podcast? Tis weird. I'll save it for my next play through me thinks.

The people who have the game early said that the game is cutscene heavy at the end of the game.

Starting Act 4.

GOTY so far.

At this rate you're gonna complete it before it comes out. :heh:

The people who have the game early said that the game is cutscene heavy at the end of the game.

That wouldn't surprise me. Thats when I want my cutscenes biggest!! :D

I got my PS3 today, great condition! Gonna get this soon, got a couple of exams next week so I might have to wait it out... Or not.

Online took me an age to set up and everything though. Everything is cool though, I'm loving it.

Had my first day at work today which was a 10.5 hour shift. Came home to Metal Gear LE from Play. Nice :)

I've just met Meryl. That's not a spoiler is it? May stay away from this thread now. Anyone want me to take photos of my LE?

Have to say, not too impressed so far, but I'm sure it'll get better.

Stunned by the game so far. Really enjoying it! :smile:

The amount of effort put in here is astonishing. The little touches are great. The game even has downloadable extras.

This is what i got 50" Plasma and surround system for.

Super addictive. Act 1 is mostly practice and a refresher but its good fun. The game opens up and you have loads of choice in regards to how to approach a situation. Generally sneaking is most rewarding. Act 2 has bits that look CG to real life like.

Gameplay is great. Previous MGS on PS2 were a little clunky but this feels perfect. Lots of Apple product placement. Love the camo system. The gun system is addictive.

Cutscenes are a plenty and the best gaming has to offer. You certainly are getting a meaty story here, codecs are cut down considerably now and there is also video. Games like Uncharted are too little interms of story and cutscenes.

I'll discuss story later but its really good so far.

So far probably my favourite game in a long long time. Kojima went the extra mile. The delays were well worth it.

Well, my MGS4 LE was waiting for me when I got home from seeing my gf last night. I haven't started playing it yet though. I was going to try and wake up a bit this morning first before actually playing it, but the temptation is just too much. See y'all in a few hours! ^^

Finished it last night. About 13 hours it took on Easy. (Just wanted to see how the story turned out).

Gonna go through it again now on Normal, Fantastic game. Starts out abit slow but half way through till the end it is fantastic, probably the best Metal Gear and a amazing end to the series.

I was finding it a bit difficult at first (Normal) but I think thats because Ive never played it. Anyway I think about 30 minutes in or so and its starting to get better.

Stabbing people is a bit shit though...you stab them like 5 times in their chest, then they knock you down and shoot you. Its cool though.

The end of Act 2 = wow! Who else thinks Drebin is an awesome character?

Drebin is awesome.

Just finished Act 2.

The bit when Raiden starts windmilling on the floor and is swinging the gekkos round with his legs is so absurdly cool I watched it with my jaw to the floor.

Also the Laughing Octopus boss was so cool! I had my headphones on really loud, scared the shit out of me when she jumped out of nowhere or chased me down in a ball. I loved how she kept hiding. At one point she hid in a box on a shelf. So cool.

I'm playing it on normal, and I usually play MGS games on very easy, and I finding the difficulty perfect. Completely spot on perfect. Not annoyingly hard but still entertainingly challenging.

Anyone know if there is a movie viewer like in MGS3?

Onto Act 2 on Normal now, (It's a harder Normal you unlock i think).

Enjoying it much more, i should have played it on this to begin with. Now that i understand how Drebin Points work and have got used to the controls the second play through is even more fun than the first.

Im having a hell of a time trying to get a refund off play.com for my LE copy. After Daft directed me to where the soundtrack was I checked and it only had a shoddy 16 songs on it when the original soundtrack has 47! I phoned them up and complained, was kept on hold for ages and now im waiting for a call back. The woman said that if there is another soundtrack out there then in theory they would have to offer it to those who paid for the LE.

EDIT: Well apparently the 47 song soundtrack is only for the US and JAPAN but with play.com not stating which one was with their boxset they have kindly offered me a refund aswell as picking the item back up, which was nice of them. :)

Unlockable: Inheritence

You carry over your Drebin points, weapons, ammunition, items, and special items from a previous game upon game clear. However, Snake will need to encounter Metal Gear II in the first stage to get his stuff back.

Be sure to save your cleared data upon game completion to track your items. Load the cleared data to reap your benefits.

Unlockable: New Difficulty

Earn the final level of difficulty "Big Boss Extreme" by completing the single-player mode once (and saving the cleared data). Load the cleared data to reap your benefits.

Unlockable: Combat Vests

Clear the single-player game once to unlock new combat vests for Snake.

Unlockable: iPod Tunes

Snake's iPod can download specific tunes throughout the course of the game. Some songs have an additional "secret" effect when it is played in the game.

Beyond the Bounds - Stage 4 Shadow Moses, Tank Hangar. After power is restored, backtrack to the upper catwalk and explore all rooms. When played, this tune increases stun damage done by Snake from non-lethal weapons.

Big Boss - Earn the Big Boss emblem (see another code on this page for the criteria). This tune will increase stun damage (as above) and increases Snake's accuracy when played.

Bio-hazard - Stage 3 Europe, Midtown. Hold-up a resistance soldier and perform a body search. This tune will cause soldiers held by Snake to scream in terror.

Destiny's Call - A random gift from a militia or rebel soldier if Snake gives them a healing item. Naturally, the faction should be allied or neutral, or they will not reciprocate. This tune will cause soldiers held by Snake to go enraged.

Flowing Destiny - Stage 4 Shadow Moses, Canyon. Before leaving the canyon area, examine the rocky walls for a hole hiding this item. This tune will cause soldiers held by Snake to weep like a little girl.

The Fury - Stage 2 South America, Cove Valley Village. Inside the fire ravaged house. This tune will cause soldiers held by Snake to go enraged.

MGS 4 Love Theme / Action - A random gift from a militia or rebel soldier if Snake gives them a healing item. Naturally, the faction should be allied or neutral, or they will not reciprocate. This tune will cause soldiers held by Snake to weep like a little girl.

Opening - Old L.A. 2040 - Stage 4 Shadow Moses, Nuclear Warhead Storage B2. Input 78925 into Otacon's lab computer. This tune will increase Snake's accuracy.

Policenaughts Ending - Stage 4 Shadow Moses, Nuclear Warhead Storage B2. Input 13462 into Otacon's lab computer. This tune will cause soldiers held by Snake to fall asleep on touch.

Rock Me - Stage 2 South America, Confinement Facility. Island in the south-eastern quadrant. This tune increases Snake's amount of life recovered from items and other means.

Sailor - Stage 2 South America, Vista Mansion. Between the east wall and a cargo container. This tune increases Snake's amount of life recovered from items and other means.

Show Time - A random gift from a militia or rebel soldier if Snake gives them a healing item. Naturally, the faction should be allied or neutral, or they will not reciprocate. This tune will cause soldiers held by Snake to scream in terror.

Snake Eater - Unlocked by earning all 40 game clear emblems. This tune will increase the life recovery rate of Snake through items and other actions.

Subsistence - Play at least one game of Metal Gear Online. You must start the match with at least two players (and not simply wander around alone or on the Training Servers). This tune will increase Snake's accuracy.

Unlockable: Bonus Weapons

World War I Pistol - Earn the Hound emblem on a single-player session by doing the following: instigate no more than 3 alerts (the third alert means failure); kill no enemies (not even bosses); do not continue (at all); do not use life recovery items (at all); do not use the stealth suit or bandanna special items (you may possess, but not activate them); and complete the game on Naked Normal difficulty (or higher) under 6 hours and 30 minutes.

Desert Eagle, Long Barrel - Earn the Fox emblem on a single-player session by doing the following: instigate no more than 5 alerts (the fifth alert means failure); kill no enemies (not even bosses); do not continue (at all); do not use life recovery items (at all); do not use the stealth suit or bandanna special items (you may possess, but not activate them); and complete the game on Naked Normal difficulty (or higher) under 6 hours.

Thor 45-70 - Earn the Fox Hound emblem on a single-player session by doing the following: instigate no more than 3 alerts (the third alert means failure); kill no enemies (not even bosses); do not continue (at all); do not use life recovery items (at all); do not use the stealth suit or bandanna special items (you may possess, but not activate them); and complete the game on Big Boss Hard difficulty (or higher) under 5 hours and 30 minutes.

Patriot Future Assault Weapon - Earn the Big Boss emblem on a single-player session by doing the following: instigate no alerts; kill no enemies (not even bosses); do not continue (at all); do not use life recovery items (at all); do not use the stealth suit or bandanna special items (you may possess, but not activate them); and complete the game on Big Boss Extreme difficulty under 5 hours.

Race (Ricochet) Gun - Clear the single-player game once.

Solar Gun - Collect the five statues (those of the four Battle Beauties and the Frog Soldier/Haven Troopers in stage 1) using non-lethal means on their respective idols.

Frog Statue - Stage 1 Middle East, Advent Palace garage, atop the Nomad vehicle.

Octopus Statue - Stage 2 South America, Research Lab boss room, upper right room.

Raven Statue - Stage 3 Europe, top floor of the human phase of the boss fight.

Wolf Statue - Stage 4 Shadow Moses, behind Snake's starting spot in the human phase of the boss fight.

Mantis Statue - Stage 5 Outer Heaven, near the northern most door during the human phase of the fight.

Scanning Plug S - Log more than 10 hours of Metal Gear Online play time on the same profile as your Metal Gear 4 game. You purchase this from Drebin.

Digital Camera - In the Nomad vehicle during the mission intermission; you can unlock a special photo by picking up this item in stage 4 instead of earlier.

Stealth Item - Complete a single-player session without instigating a single alert (caution is okay, but not alert). You can do this on any difficulty.

Bandanna - Complete a single-player session without killing anyone (including bosses). You can do this on any difficulty.

Unlockable: Facepaint

FaceCamo - Defeat the Battle Beauty Laughing Octopus (the overall battle, no specifics involved).

Laughing Octopus - Defeat the Battle Beauty (human form) Laughing Octopus by non-lethal means.

Raging Raven - Defeat the Battle Beauty (human form) Raging Raven by non-lethal means.

Crying Wolf - Defeat the Battle Beauty (human form) Crying Wolf by non-lethal means.

Screaming Mantis - Defeat the Battle Beauty (human form) Screaming Mantis by non-lethal means.

Roy Campbell - Shock Colonel Campbell using the Metal Gear II during the intermission scene.

Otacon - Shock Dr. Emmerich using the Metal Gear II during the intermission scene.

Raiden Mask A - Shock Sunny using the Metal Gear II during the intermission scene.

Raiden Mask B - Shock Dr. Naomi Hunter using the Metal Gear II during the intermission scene.

Drebin - Purchase and keep more than 60 different weapons.

Big Boss - Earn the Big Boss emblem on a single-player session by doing the following: instigate no alerts; kill no enemies (not even bosses); do not continue (at all); do not use life recovery items (at all); do not use the stealth suit or bandanna special items (you may possess, but not activate them); and complete the game on Big Boss Extreme difficulty under 5 hours.

Unlockable: Costumes / Skins

Business Suit - Clear single-player mode once.

Altair's Rags - Earn the Assassin's emblem on a single-player session by doing the following: kill or stun 50 or more enemies; CQC hold 50 or more enemies; and be discovered fewer than 25 times.

No More Camo

Shake the Sixaxis controller to return Snake's Octocamo to its neutral (black and blue) pigmentation.

Online Stealth Tips

When playing as Snake in the online sneaking mode, you should avoid lit areas so your shadow will not be as apparent. Also, in stages where characters emit frosty breath, have Snake play dead while prone to make Snake's breath disappear.

Beauty shows her beauty mode

Avoid attacking the beauty for six mins in human form.

Video.