Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The wii trajedy thread

stuwii

Stu. Get it? A wii trajedy, stuwii...a trajedy? yeah? no? ok.

Anyway, I'd hazard a guess at you turning the game off/cutting power/resetting or something whilst the games were reading or writing. I think turning your consoles on and off quickly does the same.

I dunno if it was caused by that, but I know like everything these days tells you not to ever do that, but back in the SNES days it didn't, and somehow alot of our SNES carts got themselves very fucked up at times, countless saves lost dammit! Then again, we did have a gammy plug that'd cause us to, in effect, turn the power on and off. I experienced something similar once with Baldur's Gate on GC, after spending HOURS playing, I saved then turned off the GC while it was on that 'Don't turn me off or you'll die a terrible terrible death' screen, then thought 'shit!' then turned it on, found my saves gone off the card(everything mind, but it wasnt anything important as it was a secondary card) and it sometimes gave a message it needs formatting. I proceeded to run to GAME so I could redo it all, they were closing and wouldn't let me in, I found ANOTHER memory card at home after looking for an hour, then played for ANOTHER three hours on BG to get me back to where I was(me and a friend had both bought it, and I wanted to finish it first lol). Then like...my original memory card magically fixed itself, and I was throughly fucked off.

So yeah, I can understand the annoyance.

My Wii got memory fault and needed to be returned to Nintendo for replacement the week before I came to China. I never sent it back because I literally did not have time and I can't rely on my parents to do it for me.

I actually hold a bit of a grudge for this.

Also: took the Wii to my girlfriend's place on day of launch. Her cat chewed the sensor bar wire. Cat was kicked severely when no-one looking. It took a month to get a replacement bar and then one month later the memory problem happened.

I think turning your consoles on and off quickly does the same.

I dunno if it was caused by that, but I know like everything these days tells you not to ever do that, but back in the SNES days it didn't, and somehow alot of our SNES carts got themselves very fucked up at times

Hmm, I remember in the NES and SNES days they already warned you not to turn the console on and off quickly. I can't be bothered to go get my NES manual now but I'm pretty sure it said that already.

The memory on my cartridge of LoZ:LttP is screwed... can't ever play it again without it being one sitting... Am cry

Heh, feels a bit ironic considering what I wrote in the MK thread...buy a GBA copy! Or at third best, VC it.

Hmm, I remember in the NES and SNES days they already warned you not to turn the console on and off quickly. I can't be bothered to go get my NES manual now but I'm pretty sure it said that already.

Yeah they did, sorry. I rewrote a bit of that post before I posted it, and the thing about them not saying stuff was supposed to follow the bit about the messages you get these days in game while you're saving. I know the turning on and off thing from the game manuals I think. I'm pretty sure it said in the covers of every game's manual, with all the safety info and seal of authenticity, cos I've read it a few times, but never seen my actual SNES's manual...

I lost over 500 hours when my PS2 cards got corrupted. 150 on the Tales of the Abyss, 130 on Rogue Galaxy and 100 on FFXII and several smaller files on 10 to 30 hours. I can't even play my PS2 anymore as it randomly corrupts new memory cards and cards that are already damaged corrupts every now and then. So I don't play on it anymore, that way I won't lose anymore saves.

Heh, feels a bit ironic considering what I wrote in the MK thread...buy a GBA copy! Or at third best, VC it.

Should see my reply to that post...

This happened before the Wii came out and just as the GBA version was coming out. Got GBA version but it still feels like it should be played on a SNES (GBA cart also got nabbed). But yeah I do have it VC now, just incase anyone else wants to play it.

Only had it happen on a 3rd party Memory Card for the Gamecube. When Sonic Adventure tried to save Chao Garden or whatever it's called; it deleted EVERYTHING on the memory card :(

Nothing like that's happened on the Wii though.

There is 1 tragedy however...*coughnoharddrivecough*