Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Your Funeral - Burial? Or cremation?

Oxigen_Waste

Good thread, I had the conversation with my mum a few months ago, in a light hearted tone though. I'd like to be cremated tbh, burial takes up space and effort, cremating reduces me to a tiny pot of ashes. I'd like to be buried to 'give back to the earth', and I don't mind the idea of maggots and creepy crawlies eating at me(my mum does), but I just think cremation is much more space saving. Also, if I was scattered, I'd feel like I was more...freed like? I dunno if people get my point, but ashes flying in the wind, settling in the open air, whatever, as opposed to be boxed in under the ground?

As for where I'd like to be scattered if I was, I'm not sure, near my parents maybe(hoping and assuming they both die before myself, in a most unselfish way). I can't think of anywhere else really, other than somewhere near this house, or the local park where I went as a kid, or my dad's allotment or...I dunno! Somewhere nice though, and somewhere free.

But at my back I always hear

Time's wingèd chariot hurrying near;

And yonder all before us lie

Deserts of vast eternity.

Thy beauty shall no more be found,

Nor, in thy marble vault, shall sound

My echoing song: then worms shall try

That long preserved virginity,

And your quaint honour turn to dust,

And into ashes all my lust:

The grave's a fine and private place,

But none, I think, do there embrace.

Personally, I'm not terribly bothered... I think there are ecological arguments both ways - though creation adds to atmospheric carbon dioxide, burying takes up ground space. (it sounds odd I know, but I've heard this is a problem)

I shall be cremated, then my ashes spread (probably illegally) in this place called "the lagoon", which is where I spent 2 or 3 summers of awesomeness -- where I grew up...

You guys seen how fucking expensive either option is? Considering it's kinda the law to have to do it one way or the other, it's a bit morbid that there's huge business in the deaths of others like this.

Oh, and I want a park bench, and a plaque someplace, like on teh roof of my neighbour's house where I used to go sit when I was a kid, that nobody would see unless they went and did the same thing as me.

I'd go for a burial (with a simple wooden coffin i.e. without gold plates/handles etc.) purely for environmental reasons.

I remember talking with my mates about our funerals (don't ask why), and we thought of an open coffin with some kind of mechanism to make us suddenly sit upright in the middle of the funeral, and for this to happen in conjunction with a tape recording of our voice saying something to the crowd - just to liven it up a bit.

I remember talking with my mates about our funerals (don't ask why), and we thought of an open coffin with some kind of mechanism to make us suddenly sit upright in the middle of the funeral, and for this to happen in conjunction with a tape recording of our voice saying something to the crowd - just to liven it up a bit.

I've requested Don't Stop Me Now be played, if only for the irony value. :heh:

I'd rather be cremated.

My grandfathers grave has been left to ruin because none of my family cared. My own father was the only one out of his brothers who could be bothered fixing it when it collapsed in. =(

I'd like to be scattered in a nice place people could go if they wanted to remember me.