N-Europe

Covers Vs Originals

somme

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, unfortunately I don't have time to listen to those, but AFI's covers of NIN's "Head Like a Hole" and The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" are both improvements. And as jayseven will agree with, Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's "Hurt" is far superior to the original, as admitted by Reznor.

Ill agree with the Johnny Cash cover but defaintely not the AFI cover of the Cure, its just a straight cover, nothing different about it and Robert Smith's got a more unique vocal sound imho.

Covers i like are.

Red Hot Chili Peppers cover of Bob Dylans SUbteranean Homesick Blues, Faith No More cover of easy (even though it is a straight cover, its still cool), ive also heard a cool cover by Arcade Fire of the Clash song Guns of Brixton.

Johnny Cash's hurt as has been mentioned is the shit. Quite liked the foos version of keep the cars running when I heard it. Does You're so vague by QOTSA count although the original is you're so vain obviously.

Marc Ronson needs to die btw or at least lose the use his limbs and vocal chords. Nobody covers Just :mad:

Johnny Cash's hurt as has been mentioned is the shit. Quite liked the foos version of keep the cars running when I heard it. Does You're so vague by QOTSA count although the original is you're so vain obviously.

Marc Ronson needs to die btw or at least lose the use his limbs and vocal chords. Nobody covers Just :mad:

I thought it was pretty Damn good.

Jimi Hendrix Version > Bob Dylan Version

In regards to 'All Along The Watchtower'...

No way! Dylan's All Along The Watchtower has so much more power in it than Hendrix's version.

That said, Hendrix' version is great. Dylan's version is just probably his best song, next to Blowin' In The Wind, and one of my personal favourites.

Also, Jeff Buckley.

Just heard the Foo Fighters' cover of Keep the Car Running, but Arcade Fire does it better.

Ill agree with the Johnny Cash cover but defaintely not the AFI cover of the Cure, its just a straight cover, nothing different about it and Robert Smith's got a more unique vocal sound imho.
I guess it's a personal bias, for a while it was quite rare to even hear it, it's not been studio recorded - not to mention the fact that it was the first time since early albums that Havok had recorded anything where you could completely understand the vocals straight away :heh: Plus I saw them play it live at the Electric Ballroom. And it was just before the latest crappy album came out, so one of the last great shows!

Woah there Nelly. Try listening to Let Down by Toots and the Maytails. Now that's Radiohead covered well. Not like the wee rat Ronson.

Also quite like The Cramps "Fever" and "Surfin' Bird " and the Was, Not Was version of Papa Was a Rolling Stone. Also some others that I can't think of right now. Anyway if can't comes to decent uses of samples I can think of loads from late 80's and early 90's electro, funk and hiphop.

Tori Amos's cover of Raining Blood by Slayer improves on it, and actually makes the lyrics effective.

Her cover of Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole is much better too.

I thought as someone posted a Kanye West/Daft Punk thread we could have another one with lots of other artists that have covered songs and express our opinion on which we think is better - cover or original?

Here's a few decent covers Placebo have done, which do you prefer?

DADDY COOL -

Boney M (Original)

RUNNING UP THAT HILL -

Kate Bush (Original)

JOHNNY AND MARY -

Placebo (Cover)

There's a few. Which is better?

I love Placebo, and I also like all those artists they've covered. I love both versions of RUTH, but they're so different, one being more ambient and scary and stuff. Love them both.

Just listsened to the other two (I have RUTH :) ). I think I prefer their versions of both, actually. :yay:

Guess I prefer Metallica's Whiskey In a Jar to the Thin Lizzy version.

I like the Metallica version too (in fact was disappointed when they didn't play it at their Dublin gig i went to)...but to say it's better than the Thin Lizzy version is blasphamey(sp?) :shakehead

I generally hate cover versions, cuz usually (especially with pop bands/singers) they pick songs that are already good and ruin them. And because their target audience is usually young teens who wouldn't know the original, it feels like they are trying to pass it off as their own. (I remember in my younger days trying to convince a bunch of girls that Boyzone did not write "Father and Son" to name just one :heh:)

There are a few ocassions like Metallica and Whiskey In A Jar, when I like the cover, but still do not think it's as good as the original.

New Found Glory have just recently released their 2nd Album when they cover theme songs from Movies, some are ok, some I don't like, some I think are quite good...but again I always prefer the original.

To me the best type of cover is when you take a "bad" song and make it good.

My fav examples of this (and oddly both Britney Spears songs at first) which I recommend people try find (though might be difficult)

Sugarcoma cover of "You Drive Me Crazy" (English band so prolly won't be too hard to find)

Kamikazee cover of "Lucky" (Filipino band, might be harder to find a d/l of)

Both were from about 4-5years ago too, both are rocked-up, faced paced, electric guitared up versions, with loads more emotion than Britneys attempts, and just feel like that is how the song was meant to be. : peace:

It depends, they may remix the genre and it doesn't really count.

Example, Cradle of Filth's pr0 cover of Heaven 17's Temptation. You can't really compare the two because they're mighty different.

However! Something you could compare would be A-Ha's Take on Me, covered by A1 long ago. Nice cover as it was, complete with a magical Tron style music video, it would never live up to the original.

Woah there Nelly. Try listening to Let Down by Toots and the Maytails. Now that's Radiohead covered well. Not like the wee rat Ronson.

The whole of RadioDread is great as is Dub Side Of The Moon, a great way to introduce some of the great reggae artists to the masses.

Well, unfortunately I don't have time to listen to those, but AFI's covers of NIN's "Head Like a Hole" and The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" are both improvements. And as jayseven will agree with, Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's "Hurt" is far superior to the original, as admitted by Reznor.

One that I struggle with is The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights". It's a great track, quite upbeat. But take Iron and Wine's significantly slowed down version... a really sad mellow and beautiful track. Tricky to decide. I reccomend checking them out :)

In regards to Hurt... yes.

As to Iron & Wine... it's HIM, not them.

As for the cover business... there's always the fantastic Ten Masked Men, wich are kings at destroying music.

Save Ferris' cover of "Come On Eileen" is way better than the original (IMO).

Dear god, have you gone insane??? The ruining of a classic!!

I consider HIM's version of Don't Fear The Reaper much better than the original.

i always thought it was hilarious that that song was on the sample CD when i worked at tchibo - considering our main customer demographic probably averaged an age of about 90... :hmm: