N-Europe

Toshiba Accepts Defeat to Blu-Ray

Gizmo

Blu-Ray beats HD-DVD....but will downloads come along and smash Blu-Ray to bits?

What? No, most people still aren't into all that shit, plus the bandwidth demands of blu-ray quality video are ridiculous.

Anyway, fuck blu-ray, I'm not surprised it won, but it's still lame.

Damnit, i wanted Sony to pull another Betamax, BlurRay players still play DVD's right? It'll be a long LONG time before I go bother going HD and I damn sure do not want to have to rebuild my movie collection :heh:

you can gaurantee any future Nintendo and Microsoft consoles will only be playing games cause I don't see paying Sony license fees to use BluRay

I think Sony would be required to do so... under fairness rules and all that.

I mean, Microsoft still help out Nintendo developers with Windows issues on their computers. While fanboys may build these trenches around the companies, this is still business and everyone wants to make money.

More blu ray players. I think by the time the Xbox 3 and N6 come along, the Blu Ray battle won't be won yet. Sony will still quite gladly let them use the technology in their consoles.

And just like VHS, DVD will slowly go away overtime. It happens EVERYTIME a new generation of media is introduced.

Yes. That's why we're all using Minidisks over outdated CDs.

you can gaurantee any future Nintendo and Microsoft consoles will only be playing games cause I don't see paying Sony license fees to use BluRay

Blu-Ray isn't just a Sony creation (just like HD-DVD wasn't just Toshiba). The other companies involved in making Blu-Ray would probably "convince" Sony to let other consoles use the technology.

It's the same with a lot of games based on movies.

What? No, most people still aren't into all that shit, plus the bandwidth demands of blu-ray quality video are ridiculous.

Anyway, fuck blu-ray, I'm not surprised it won, but it's still lame.

I'd say that some form of digital delivery will overtake blu-ray before it becomes more popular than DVD.

I think Sony would be required to do so... under fairness rules and all that.

I mean, Microsoft still help out Nintendo developers with Windows issues on their computers. While fanboys may build these trenches around the companies, this is still business and everyone wants to make money.

More blu ray players. I think by the time the Xbox 3 and N6 come along, the Blu Ray battle won't be won yet. Sony will still quite gladly let them use the technology in their consoles.

Sorry, i missed a word in my post...

I meant would Nintendo or Microsoft want to use Blu-Ray as they would be paying licesencing fees to Sony?

I'm sure Sony and co would have no issues letting them use it as they would be getting money....well considering Nintendo has't even fully used DVD players in their consoles, questionable if they ever would bother i guess

You can't really use that as an example because Minidisks never took off in a big way.

really? I thought they had?

I remember on school trips on the bus a load of people seemed to have minidisk players, and i was laughed at for having big ass CD's....but who's laughing now:yay:

MD's were good for copying from a CD, not much else really.

They never took off because they launched around the same time as the mp3 player.

MiniDiscs didn't win the war though :P

I rephrase for all the smart alacs outthere, formats that won and became the standard. :P

It's not about rebuilding movie collections, it's about what comes out in the future. I won't be buying my DVD films on Blu-Ray, but I'll be buying future films/anime and what not on Blu-Ray. Fancy effects will surely benefit from HD, no doubt there.

There's already rumours for a Blu-Ray add on for the 360. Why wouldn't microsoft take it? Sony use Vista in their Laptops and they are actually really close when it comes to working on Laptops and such.

MiniDiscs didn't win the war though :P

What war? Surely the only "war" was with their own CD format... untill Mp3 players jumped all over their asses.

Lol, seems like mini disc were only popular in Britain, the only person I ever saw with one of those had just been from a one month internship in Scotland.

As for BluRay, I think Microsoft screwed HD-DVD by making it an add-on instead of making it built-in with the 360, possibly thinking about its future digital delivery solution which its not even close of becoming mainstream, not everyone is an tech enthusiast young adult (many of them like me don't have the connection necessary of HD streaming) and even those need some physical way to transfer large amounts of data. Which is kind of ironic, the 360 is losing its lead to a cheap BluRay player which incidentally also plays awesome games.

Lol, seems like mini disc were only popular in Britain, the only person I ever saw with one of those had just been from a one month internship in Scotland.

As for BluRay, I think Microsoft screwed HD-DVD by making it an add-on instead of making it built-in with the 360, possibly thinking about its future digital delivery solution which its not even close of becoming mainstream, not everyone is an tech enthusiast young adult (many of them like me don't have the connection necessary of HD streaming) and even those need some physical way to transfer large amounts of data. Which is kind of ironic, the 360 is losing its lead to a cheap BluRay player which incidentally also plays awesome games.

If you're not the tech enthousiast young adult, you couldn't care less about HD. Like with parents, HD is just a dishwasher with extra functionality but they couldn't care less.

I think it's not really something that will play out to be a big role in the future of gaming, honestly. Wii supports DVD and it's doing fantastic. Well, it doesn't support DVD - but it does have that storage. I know it isn't HD, but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing lots more of DVD the coming years, and digital distribution afterwards - no Blu-Ray in between.