N-Europe

Rate The Last TV Show You Saw (Spoiler Tags for Recent US Shows!)

Slaggis

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Its generally why I prefer TV.

Look at the death in Buffy S5 (won't say what in case someone still hasn't watched/knows) but it was so upsetting because you knew that person for five years, near on 100 hours. Just 2 hours wouldn't have had the same affect (for a good comparison, who cares about Jessie's death?).

I agree to a point I guess, I mean its obviously loads better in tv which is why im the same as Ashley and prefer that but I do think with a good script and actor it can work in movies, just has to be done right.

See I agree with this. I mean I can see the persons point, but in the argument we were having it was ridiculous.

(Short story, I said LOST could have been done in 3 seasons, she said it needed 6) despite it being a single story, and IMO (right opinion) not suited to a multi mutli season thing.

It annoys me that it went on for so long. Blah blah blah.

I agree. Its generally why I prefer TV.

Look at the death in Buffy S5 (won't say what in case someone still hasn't watched/knows) but it was so upsetting because you knew that person for five years, near on 100 hours. Just 2 hours wouldn't have had the same affect (for a good comparison, who cares about Jessie's death?).

Exactly. When you've spent hours investing in a character for example, we'll use Dr Mark Greene from ER who dies at the end of season 8 (everyone in the world actually knows this, so it's not a spoiler.) which very roughly is 180 hours odd of time watching him. It's bound to affect you more than seeing a character die an hour into a film. Obviously it varies, but that's the way I see it.

I think movies are usually crafted in such a way that emotions will still be evoked, regardless of how long you've known the character. Whether this is pulled off or not is a different story. And yes, it generally works 100% better with a small amount of characters/a single lead.

But yeah...I don't think there's a set "yes" or "no" answer...The Hours is about 3+ main characters and all are artfully put across on screen and we connect with them all. Sometimes not everything needs to be shown/known for everything to be understood. [/pretentious-sounding]

It all depends on the story really, you could have a tv show that last 10 season and not give a shit when something happens because it's just not hooked you. Yet using another example, one of my favourite films is Turner and Hooch, and when a certain someone dies after an 80 minutes; it still gets me everytime.

I definitely get what she's saying but I don't think it's true for all cases. It's all in the writing. I would however agree that it's probably easier to do great character development in TV Shows than it is with movies.

I think the time length of TV shows doesn't only work for it but against it too. Writers craft an overall mythology arc but without knowing exactly how many seasons the show's gonna last they have no idea when to deliver the plot points along that arc. I agree Lost has probably gone on a little too long but it's been breakthrough in that the network gave the show a definite end date 3 seasons ago which gave the writers a lot more freedom in some ways to the deliver the show they want. Stuff like X Files got run into the ground because the network wanted the show to go on far longer than the creator ever intended.

With American TV I kinda wish the networks would occasionally think more about the creative aspects than the money.

Writers craft an overall mythology arc but without knowing exactly how many seasons the show's gonna last they have no idea when to deliver the plot points along that arc.

This is one of the reasons why Battlestar worked so well - they pretty much knew how long they had to tell the story, and did it beautifully. A lot of shows seem to simply see how long they can last once they've been renewed for a second season.

As much as I've bitched about it (I still enjoy the show, by the way), I think that Fringe is a really good (or bad) example of this. Season one felt like one big story, season two seems to have mainly single-episode plots while they stall the main story arc so it will last longer.

With fringe it feels like they have an idea of an overall storyline, but because they don't want to wrap up in a few seasons they're stretching it out, x-files style.

Treme is a great example of a show that doesn't seem to have a story at all, but just overflows with style and beauty.

I've caught up with Pacific and it definitely gets better after episode 4, and while I still have a problem of figuring out who is who (especially when someone gets shot - I just don't know how much sympathy I'm supposed to feel when i don't know who's bleeding to death).

Also totally caught up with HIMYM, so I feel all cool and stuff.

The new House was particularly nothingsome. I'd even go as far to say that it was the worst of the season so far.

I've also made a decision about Justified - y'know, that show nobody's watching? Well it's rubbish. Don't bother. The title sequence pisses me off because it has nothing at all to do with the actual show. I have this series 6 episodes to prove itself and... It's just nothing going nowhere.

Currently catching up on V, which surely has to offer at least one good season due to being something borrowed and all.

Breaking Bad is clearly the best thing on TV right now. So tight and visceral and addictive.

I'm figuring that Hank may end up getting the chop, and my first thoughts about the lab assistant was that, once walt teaches him everything he knows, the assistant will simply do all the work for pollo man.

I can't really see how they'll top the tense ending to last season... And stuff. STUFF.

... Really I spend all week waiting for new Ultimate Fighter. The best reality show there is. Because there's blood. Yeah.

Glee - The Other Chenoweth One

Oh dear lord in heaven.

Its so fucking by the numbers. OMG Sue wants to break up the glee club? That's new! Oh and she and Will bicker. At least that's different. Sue puts up a 'road block' for the club, which they overcome while all feeling a bit closer and happier about themselves. Kurt is a contestable cunt who seems to believe that by making a straight man his step brother will somehow make him want to sleep with him. Bizarre teenage logic, or just lame plotting? Hmm. Oh and look, Sue somehow worms her way out of being a bitch and makes herself look better.

And then the rendition of 'Beautiful'. I think I got type-2 diabetes just from watching it.

On the bright side that knocked up cheerleader really is the best looking and the least annoying character on the show.

Edited by Ashley

Glee- The Power of Madonna

Got bored so I watchd it again. Good episode and I noticed during Sue's version of Vogue, she says "Will Shuester, I hate you" which actually sums up my feelings. Who actually likes him?

9/10

So V is pretty good right now. They killed off one dude to replace him with someone more hardcore, and the show has a sort of T:SCC feel, and clearly wants to fill BSG's shoes (but has no chance) - and is full of plenty of hot ladies. Purrsome.

Started True Blood tonight, too. On ep 3. Figured out that Sam is surely that dog (is that a spoiler?) in the first ep, and generally liking how each episode flows into one another so far. The intro looks like it was designed by the dudes who did Justified's as well.

Cool stuff - cheers forum for the new tv show to watch instead of writing my essay :)

So V is pretty good right now. They killed off one dude to replace him with someone more hardcore, and the show has a sort of T:SCC feel, and clearly wants to fill BSG's shoes (but has no chance) - and is full of plenty of hot ladies. Purrsome.

Started True Blood tonight, too. On ep 3. Figured out that Sam is surely that dog (is that a spoiler?) in the first ep, and generally liking how each episode flows into one another so far. The intro looks like it was designed by the dudes who did Justified's as well.

Cool stuff - cheers forum for the new tv show to watch instead of writing my essay :)

True Blood is fttttwwwzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

BEWBZZZZZ!!!

Happy Town

I really wasn't sure what to expect as I only watched it because Nathan Fillion tweeted that it was good and had Amy Acker in it.

The setting and characters are great, and while many are (purposefully) clichéd they're still really interesting. The same goes for the whole setting and the sub-plots. The show seems to be a big story-arc based on a big conspiracy (but set in a whole town instead of a global one, which is a nice change) and yet the show doesn't always take itself seriously. It can be intriguing, spooky and fun all of the same time.

I really enjoyed the pilot and will certainly be carrying on watching it.

Ashley, based on the shows you watch I think you may also enjoy this.

Hmm I contemplated it (not sure why its taken so long to air, Acker was filming this alongside Dollhouse S2) but its mystery based so I may just wait until the seasons over and snowball it.

End of Angel Season 3 - Start of Angel Season 4

So loads has happened.

Though the concept of Angel's son is really "ugh", it's being done well. I REALLY wanted Angel to beat the crap out of him in the first episode of Season 4, but then I guess that's not really a positive message...

Loved Spin The Bottle, very funny throughout, great to get back the "Buffy" Wesley and Cordelia for a little bit. Some bits were actual LOL.

"My name is Wesley Wyndham-Price, I'm at the southampshire Watcher's Academy...I'm the Head Boy. *proud*"

"Wonder where you got that nickname..."

Connor and Cordelia were creeping me out, until they made the point of saying he's 18. I assumed he was 15 or something.

Lilah and Wesley is interesting, though quite unbelievable. I love how Lilah keeps trying to ruin all their lives, but she's so stunning that at the end of the day, they just let her go, to mastermind some more.

It annoys me that Lorne isn't featured in the titles as a main character but Connor is.

P.S Whatever happened to Kate (?) the policewoman? You'd think she'd appear again at some point.