Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

High Street VS. Internet

fex

Our high street stores in town have reported that they are 6% down on Christmas sales compared with last year. And unfortunately, I've worked the past 5 Christmas' in retail, and I have noticed a decline in the sheer numbers of customers year after year. So... question time.

What do you do? Do you support shopping on the high street? Or would you rather avoid the crowds and save money by buying on the internet?

If stores consistently lowered their priced to the same as places on the internet would you then go and buy from the high street?

Or is it a slow death for high street stores?

________

Brooke Marks Pussy

Edited by fex

Going to the high street has become quite boring during these past years, as I'm usually done going round the shops in 45minutes. If I want a good day out shopping, I have to travel to Chester or Liverpool, which I don't do very often. I buy all new releases (game and DVD wise) from the Internet, so when I visit shop's like HMV and Woolworths there is not much point in me browsing around the Charts section, only the Sale and Baragin sections, and even then I rarely get a good deal. I was pleasently suprised to see Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii for £54.95 at HMV the other day, which was the same price as I paid for it on Play.com, but if I had purchased it in town, I would then have to carry the large thing around with me, something ordering from Play.com avoided me from doing :heh:

The only shop's I make regular purchases from on the high street are book and clothes shops, and if shop's did lower their prices to Internet price's, I'm pretty sure I'd vist the high street more often, but only if I happened to be passing.

Internet's good for cheaper prices and buying something that just pops in to my head instnatly, though sometimes i want to get something same-day, i'll walk in to town, also it's nice sometimes just to walk into a games store and browse, then buy it then and there.

I've done more shopping on the high street this year than I have in about 5 years. Still got some stuff of the 'net because I found some great deals which I couldn't turn down.

It's a lot easier to shop online, you can stay in your own home in the warm, you get better prices and you don't get hassled every 5 minutes by someone wanting you to donate money, sign up to something or the likes.

I can see why the High Street is going downhill.

I enjoy going out round places like York with some mates at christmas, it's nice to walk around with all the christmas lights and looking for stuff to buy and then seeing a movie or something, it's got a nice atmosphere at christmas. Usually, the rest of the year I shop online.

The internet is a marvellous thing. I mean, shopping for po...clothes in the comfort of your bedroom is truely great.

However, it really isn't for me. I like the social aspect of shopping too much. It's really fun popping into town with a friend and looking at stuff together. I did this recently with a friend and we ventured to toys r us. It allows you to be a lot more spontaneous as well...we ended up buying a big gumball machine! :D

It's a good laugh going into places and looking at clothes together too, then getting some food inbetween shops. You'll probably find better deals on the internet, but I always feel more satisfied when I can purchase the stuff for myself, and actually take it home with me.

I agree with most of what flink said. I rarely buy off the internet as most of the things I want seem to be a similar price on the high steet. Also clothes shopping is always alot better in the shops. I do think there are some good bargains around on the internet though and you can't go to the high street for everything (like radiohead tickets :heh:)

Guest Stefkov

I love both. However I only ever, ever, shop on the high street if I have a goal. I cannot window shop. I can't just go into town and look around at what i could have bought. I have to come away with something.

The internet is brilliant though. Paying by credit/debit card by just clicking on purchase then going through a few things like postage and confirmation. Beats waiting in queues.

Trying not to sound as individual/lonely as I can I do hate shopping with others. Especially women/mums. I go to town to do my thing yet we always end up in Primark or H&M...¬__¬ I don't care if you think that won't suit you.

Going by myself I can browse as long as I want without someone saying 'meet me there later' or 'hurry up'.

Internet is also cheaper = awesome.

Only stuff i really buy off the net are electricals. The selection on the high street is crap, and the prices are far too high! I'll never understand how Currys can get away with selling a £450 TV for £800!

Games and most CDs come from work. Usually cheaper than any website!