N-Europe

pirating Wii is popular in the Netherlands

Maiky-NiSuTe

I wouldn't feel bad about it, they're not losing any money from you downloading games, they're just not gaining any.

I buy all my games, as I like to reward a job well done to the developers, but that's just me.

Just out of interest, doesn't it annoy you that while you're paying hard-earned money for games, someone else is having just as much fun, playing it for free? In fact, they're probably getting more enjoyment than you because it was free!

This is what annoys me most about piracy, not companies 'losing' money.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well most pre-owned games have come from trade-ins that allowed someone to buy a different game that they otherwise wouldn't have. Which is money in the pockets of publishers for a legal product. Its still contributing to the industry' date=' unlike piracy.[/quote']

Piracy allows me to play crap games and gives me more money for mario galaxy etc.

Just out of interest, doesn't it annoy you that while you're paying hard-earned money for games, someone else is having just as much fun, playing it for free? In fact, they're probably getting more enjoyment than you because it was free!

I dont like pirated games, as they were free i have no incentive to play them and they just lie there not getting played.

I disagree. If anything, they enjoy it less. They obviously don't think games are worth the money, so can't be enjoying the games they are playing much.

My Xbox was modded (The original big black one), and i had hundreds of games.... Never really played any of them. You really dont have the urge to play a game when its a copy, theres no excitment when you can have any game you want.

It was my first (and last) modded console!

LONG LIVE ONLINE GAMING!

meh these threads are too goody goody. I refuse to believe none of you have tried it for any console.

but nevertheless I used to feel less guilty when it was games you could literally no longer guy then vc came along and changed that.

I say anyone who downloads any pirated content should be shot.

well shot... no, heavily punished.. yes. just let them pay for every game they downloaded and don't own the original of.

My Xbox was modded (The original big black one), and i had hundreds of games.... Never really played any of them. You really dont have the urge to play a game when its a copy, theres no excitment when you can have any game you want.

It was my first (and last) modded console!

LONG LIVE ONLINE GAMING!

it's true.. the game is not as precious to you anymore plus the on-line aspect makes it dodgy.. ON the wii you update your console at your own risk.

I've illegally downloaded music, enjoyed it and gone out and bought it.

I've illegally downloaded films, enjoyed it and gone out and bought it.

I've illegally downloaded games, enjoyed it and gone out and bought it

I've illegally downloaded software, enjoyed it and never bought it.

I see downloading as a means of testing a product out, if I like it then I go and buy it. What the majority of people are forgetting is that big huge corporations and the like, steal and take from consumers sometimes without us actually realizing. Yet people on this forum are upset when we take a little from these companies.

For example when u got to the cinema you pay ?6 for the film that starts at 7pm. So you get in your seat at 6.50pm. Then at 7pm when you expect the trailers to start, you have to sit through 10/15 minutes of adverts. Then the trailers, before the movies finally starts 25 minutes later. If I pay ?6 why am i subjected to 10/15 minutes of adverts. Thats a waste of my time. And according to the Cinema Advertising Council, $356m was spent on cinema ads in 2003. Why am I not getting the film for free? If im giving up my time and paying ?6 why don't I get a share of that $356m? And they call this 'smart advertising' fine I call downloading movies 'smart buying'. So next time you go to the cinema be annoyed that those adverts will end up stealing days of your life.

Hello!? I pay the BBC, and as a result I don't have to sit through adverts. I don't mind sitting through adverts on Channel 4, because im getting something for my time that the adverts are on.

^^^^ There was a great article about this somewhere on the net I wish I could find it.

________

Herbal Vaporizer

Edited by fex

Well said, Fex. Don't let companies preach to you about what is and isn't wrong, make up your own mind. Like I said before, if companies had it their own way, they'd make it illegal to buy used games, so fuck them.

Just because the law says it's stealing, doesn't mean it is. As far as I'm concerned, stealing is taking something from someone, and them not having it any more. How the fuck making a copy of something got called stealing is beyond me.

where im happy knowing the fact some people play the stuff i work hard for, for free pisses me off

i really hate companies that make so much proffit in games and then whine about piraters

im pretty sure most games now have their own little advertising bits in them (like the guy said about the cinema)

im playing NFSU2 again atm and always notice the advertisements in it, as they are what they used the most polygons on (apart from the car ur driving)

games like that are what upset me, where the company making alittle more money from advertising in their game than instead improve the quality

I've illegally downloaded music, enjoyed it and gone out and bought it.

I've illegally downloaded films, enjoyed it and gone out and bought it.

I've illegally downloaded games, enjoyed it and gone out and bought it

I've illegally downloaded software, enjoyed it and never bought it.

Same here. Everyone does it at some point really.

Anyway, where is the source for this piracy thing on the wii??

Completely different in peoples modern warped sense of ownership. Taking a car and downloading a copy of a game are still both theft. Just because one is easier for people to live with doesn't make it any different.

You are both right. He is right because downloading a copy leaves a games company no poorer after that download had you soundly decided you would never have paid for it anyway. Stealing a car would actually be taking physical materials that would cost the company once they were gone.

But you are right in that whichever the case, stealing is wrong.

There is no excuse for piracy at all in my eyes. Whilst I object to the patronizing adverts on dvd's that say "you wouldn't steal a car...." why I should I be delivered such a message when I've paid good money for the dvd!

I've always wondered why the put them annoying adverts on DVDs (at the cinema as well). I've paid for this movie so I'm obviously not supporting piracy.

I don't pay to download music. I just download a few songs and decide if I like the artist or not. I would actually say downloading music for free has made me go out and buy more CDs not less. I've found loads of good bands this way.

So what?

Piracy happens, always has and always will. Has it really sent any company down the shitter? Not really.

Hmm, that's a rather strange way to view things.

How do you know no companies have suffered because of it? Not every publisher or develop is as big as Nintendo. Chances are, many companies probably have gone down the crap-hole. Just because it isn't talked about does not mean it doesn't happen.

I wouldn't feel bad about it, they're not losing any money from you downloading games, they're just not gaining any.

That's a really, really strange way of looking at things.

Scenario A: I go into town, and pay the 30 odd quid for Mario Galaxy.

Scenario B: On the way into town, I realise I can download it for free at home. I go home, download it, and keep the thirty quid.

Of course they are losing money. They may not have purchased the disc, but you are still playing the same game for free. You are playing something a team of skilled developers have spent a long time perfecting for free.

If another hundred thousand people download their games rather than paying for it, can then turn around and say "they're not losing money"?

Scenario B: On the way into town, I realise I can download it for free at home. I go home, download it, and keep the thirty quid.

Scenario C: Wasn't going to go to town to buy it in the first place, and wouldn't have bought it anyway (lack of funds/motivation) I think is what a lot of people are implying here.

Scenario C: Wasn't going to go to town to buy it in the first place, and wouldn't have bought it anyway (lack of funds/motivation) I think is what a lot of people are implying here.

I see what you're getting at, but it still doesn't make sense. If you pirate or download a game, then you CLEARLY want to play it.

Meaning, scenario C is just a simple way of saying: I'm too lazy to get off my arse to go pay for it when I can get it at home for free.

I think there is clearly a want to play it, but not a desire you'd value at £40 though.

Games are pricey, aye.

Some games let the side down, yearly updates, things like that. But, many games have taken a lot of effort to create. It's not something you can just whip up overnight.

If you can't afford to buy it at that price, then surely you can wait til it drops in price, or pick it up second hand, or wait for another deal to come along? It always happens, there are alternatives to piracy.

If the desire is not great enough to purchase the game, then the desire to want that game is clearly not great enough in the first place. Meaning, you should be asking yourself "Do I really want this game?"

If the answer is no, then don't buy it.

How do you know no companies have suffered because of it? Not every publisher or develop is as big as Nintendo. Chances are, many companies probably have gone down the crap-hole. Just because it isn't talked about does not mean it doesn't happen.

That's a really, really strange way of looking at things.

Of course they are losing money. They may not have purchased the disc, but you are still playing the same game for free. You are playing something a team of skilled developers have spent a long time perfecting for free.

If another hundred thousand people download their games rather than paying for it, can then turn around and say "they're not losing money"?

Come on now, companies can't lose money they never had. Whenever a company makes a game, they take a risk on it not selling, they have no basic right for their game to sell at all though. For the record, I encourage people to buy the games they like, as it means keeping people in jobs, and more games coming out in the future.

Come on now, companies can't lose money they never had. Whenever a company makes a game, they take a risk on it not selling, they have no basic right for their game to sell at all though. For the record, I encourage people to buy the games they like, as it means keeping people in jobs, and more games coming out in the future.

They can't lose money they didn't have, but they can lose money they should have had.

It's good that you encourage people to buy games, and you specifically say that it keeps people in jobs. How can people be losing jobs if they are, like you say, not losing money? ;)

Well then they went down because they make shit games, not because they make good games that people downloaded illegally.

Well then they went down because they make shit games, not because they make good games that people downloaded illegally.

But then quality never directly influences if a game sells or not. Many bad games sell well, and many good games don't.

Still, the fact is, if people don't make money from doing something, then the chances are they won't want to continue down that pathway. If Mario and Sonic at the olympics sold 4 copies, whether people pirated it or not, then Nintendo are not going to think about doing that again. It's the same for any company.

If the desire is not great enough to purchase the game, then the desire to want that game is clearly not great enough in the first place. Meaning, you should be asking yourself "Do I really want this game?"

If the answer is no, then don't buy it.

If someone wants to play the game a fair amount but would never want to spend £40, or not have the commitment to keep £30 untouched for several months awaiting a price drop, they may well go to piracy. IMO I think a lot of people act like this, without really damaging the companies since they probably would never have given them money for it anyway.

Yes it isn't right people playing something that they should have paid for, but some people want to play stuff yet don't want to pay £40 for it. Crap happens.

If someone wants to play the game a fair amount but would never want to spend £40, or not have the commitment to keep £30 untouched for several months awaiting a price drop, they may well go to piracy. IMO I think a lot of people act like this, without really damaging the companies since they probably would never have given them money for it anyway.

Yes it isn't right people playing something that they should have paid for, but some people want to play stuff yet don't want to pay £40 for it. Crap happens.

But that makes it sound like it's ok to pirate. Are you cool with people stealing your things, too?

There's wider implications. If it doesn't sell, people won't want to make future editions of that game. It can also be applied to games, music and films, too.