Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has warned that the publisher “might have to stop supporting Sony” platforms.

“I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation,” he told The Times.

“They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow,” he added. “If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony. When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP too.”

Kotick, who said recently that he was disappointed the platform holders opted not to announce console price cuts at E3, also noted that Activision had paid Sony $500 million in royalties and other goods last year, which “probably still worked out at 400 percent of the profit they made.”

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, cut out over 22 million potential customers. Makes sense.

I'm not really a big fan of CoD, I could easily live without it, so personally I wouldn't give two shits. Although I have a 360, but this move would just annoy me into avoiding anything Activision.

I suspect he's just putting pressure on Sony.

Also, Activision can bloody talk. Their peripherals are extortionate.

And I realised I do want DJ Hero (DAMN YOU DJ SHADOW!!!).

Hopefully Sony can give the James Bond license to someone more competent. Although, history indicates this is highly unlikely.

Edited by Daft
I can't spell

Given that Actvision's raison d'être is sequels and DLC for existing title, dropping PS3 support would be a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. They might be the 'biggest' third-party publisher, but in terms of output their two relevant titles are Guitar Hero and Call of Duty, both of which have already been developed to work on PlayStation 3 hardware. The investment has already been made, so I don't think Activision are in as strong a position as Mr. Kotick is trying to make out.

If this was EA talking then people should perhaps be a bit worried as they actually offer up a big selection of different titles and genres as well as putting out evergreen titles like Fifa or Madden. On the contrary Electronic Arts have recently been talking about how they feel they have a much better grip on PS3 development than ever before, so I don't think you'll see them trying to throw their weight around.

Besides, the PS3 is going to see a price cut before the year is out.

I'm getting concerned about Activision; their crappy cheap plastic peripherals cost way too much and they don't make it easy for me to support them. Guitar Hero 14 is expensive to play and, if I need, my Wii and Xbox have better alternatives. Games shouldn't cost more than consoles.

They have to cut the price, because if they don't, they are cunts. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop buying their shitting plastic crap. When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the Guitar Hero franchise — and any offshoots when it reaches the bazillionth instalment and the 900th crappy plastic controller iteration are released.

32" V5500 at play.com for £599. It comes with a stand worth alot(£100) as well as the 3 year warranty in the price making it a fantastic deal. You get afew of the luxury extras and media features as well as a nice screen, much like the expensive tvs!

You could get the screen alone abit cheaper (£545)but imo the play.com deal is fantastic.

Here is a review: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony-KDL-32V5500-LCD-HDTV-Review.html

re: activision: Too much to lose for Activison especially with games like COD. More like an emotional slip of the tongue i suspect.

Edited by Choze

Errr, I said £470 maximum.

You can get it for £545 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL32V5500U-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B001RCU7F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245437372&sr=8-1 . but without 3 years warranty and the stand. I know it seems like alot but the quality jump is quite big.

If its strictly £470 then i'll try and find another but it would be a big step down. check out the review above. I am sure you can show your parents and compare it to others.

Edited by Choze

Look Choze that's the maximum I've set. I know you're loaded and have high standards but it is possible to get good HD TVs for less. 32" TVs don't need to have 1080p either do they?

Just see what you can do, I appreciate the help.

Look Choze that's the maximum I've set. I know you're loaded and have high standards but it is possible to get good HD TVs for less. 32" TVs don't need to have 1080p either do they?

Just see what you can do, I appreciate the help.

I'll try abit though as i said the quality jump to the V is pretty big. You get more bang for your buck and tv will last longer due to its quality. It has widgets, XMb, wireless, USB, freeview and all that stuff too. Also dont rush a tv purchase, think long term.

Well no I just want a TV that's good for games, I really don't give a toss about the extras, I've been looking for one a while now but I just haven't made the precise choice.

Check out the Panasonic:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L32S10B-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0020HRID8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245440047&sr=1-1

I havent price checked it.

Edited by Choze

Hmmm, if I contributed all my money I could maybe tempt them. What's the cheaper one? It doesn't need Freeview.

The other panasonic are quite different i'd say go for this then.

£400 Toshiba http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001TUYQ46/kelkcpc-2nd-ce-21/ref=asc_df_B001TUYQ46371557

alternative i guess...

anyway i'm off. The Sony seems to lead followed by the Panny close by interms of picture. The toshiba has good stuff too for its price.

Edited by Choze

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has warned that the publisher “might have to stop supporting Sony†platforms.

“I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation,†he told The Times.

“They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow,†he added. “If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony. When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP too.â€

Kotick, who said recently that he was disappointed the platform holders opted not to announce console price cuts at E3, also noted that Activision had paid Sony $500 million in royalties and other goods last year, which “probably still worked out at 400 percent of the profit they made.â€

Sony responds to Activisions threats

Activision head honcho Bobby Kotick has been doing some saber rattling over at the giant publisher, saying that they may need to "stop supporting Sony" come 2010 or 2011. The folks at Playstation, though, don't seem fazed.

"PlayStation has tremendous momentum coming out of E3, and we are seeing positive growth with more than 350 titles slated to hit across all our platforms, including many anticipated games from our publishing partners," said Playstation spokesman Patrick Seybold. "We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience."

Indeed Sony announced an impressive line-up of first and third-party PS3 and PSP titles at their annual retailer meet-up Destination Playstation and then spent a bulk of their E3 press conference whipping through triple-A title after triple-A title.

As interesting as it is to read about some publishing exec making vague threats, I'd be much more interested to learn what really prompted this. Perhaps we should be reading more into Kotick's comments in the same article about the royalties that Activision is having to pay out to Sony.

In other words, get fucked Activision

I bought a Sony Bravia 32" about a year ago for £450. Looks brilliant next to the PS3 as they have the same sort of style. I'll dig it up if you're interested.

Sure, all I really care about is the picture and sound quality. Please post :)

I wonder if they're drunk when they make these ludicrous statements, and then wake up the morning after and think something like "SHIT! Did I really say that?!"

I mean how are you meant to take that seriously when you look at how much Activision's peripherals and games cost.

OK I may get that one, it's just the sound quality is slightly dubious. Many say it's good, but if not can you improve the quality with speakers/surround sound?

Tv speakers are never that great. So obviously you can use surround.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!