NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I see a new Ys game has been confirmed for Vita. Might have to get one if it gets an English release.

it will, in Xseed we trust.

Something I just saw which concerns me greatly

" Sony noted that this does not include network play. This is the battery life with screen brightness at the default setting, no Bluetooth, and using headphones"

I wasn't expecting huge battery life because of how powerful it is. Battery tech isn't advancing as quickly as the rest of technology unfortunately. Still better than/on a par with the 3DS battery I think?

FFX as a hd remake looks awesome, I can add that to the list. Special game that was.

FFX as a hd remake looks awesome, I can add that to the list. Special game that was.

Oh it was special all right

Well, it's supposed to be awkward. As grating as I find Tidus's voice, I think that scene is fine within context.

I enjoyed FFX a lot at the time, although I haven't played it since. The combat was fun — I liked the focus on delaying enemy turns — and had a nice weight to it; the game did a good job of making attacks really feel like they connected rather than chipping away at a health bar. It wouldn't be my first choice as HD re-releases go, but I'll probably pick it up at the right price.

I wasn't expecting huge battery life because of how powerful it is. Battery tech isn't advancing as quickly as the rest of technology unfortunately. Still better than/on a par with the 3DS battery I think?

On par with if you're using headphones, no wireless communications, no bluetooth and medium brightness compared to the 3DS with full volume, full 3D, max brightness and wireless on...

On par with if you're using headphones, no wireless communications, no bluetooth and medium brightness compared to the 3DS with full volume, full 3D, max brightness and wireless on...

PCWLabs tested the battery life of Pilotwings Resort 3D (gameplay looped) and found the following.

175 minutes - Full 3D, WiFi, max. brightness, full volume

262 minutes - No 3D, WiFi off, min. brightness, volume off, power-save mode enabled

So with everything off, you can get get just over 4 hours from a 3ds, with everything on, just under 3. Vita being between 3-5 is measured with default brightness at least, so I'd declare vita a slight winner

PCWLabs tested the battery life of Pilotwings Resort 3D (gameplay looped) and found the following.

175 minutes - Full 3D, WiFi, max. brightness, full volume

262 minutes - No 3D, WiFi off, min. brightness, volume off, power-save mode enabled

So with everything off, you can get get just over 4 hours from a 3ds, with everything on, just under 3. Vita being between 3-5 is measured with default brightness at least, so I'd declare vita a slight winner

I'd declare those tests complete rubbish. I've had full 3D, wifi, brightness and full volume and reached almost 5 hours playing Zelda and even more when I fiddle with settings

The Vita looks awesome but my god that conference was the worst ever. Hour and 40 minutes of pure drivel and 2 minutes of game footage. Well done Sony you topped every bad Nintendo conference ever that includes Ravi drums, atleast he was entertaining.

Its going to be an interesting launch with the Vita coming out after the onslaught of 3DS titles and that includes MH.

I'd declare those tests complete rubbish. I've had full 3D, wifi, brightness and full volume and reached almost 5 hours playing Zelda and even more when I fiddle with settings

It may depend on the game? Try it with Pilotwings if you have it. We can't judge until Vita comes out really if it depends on the game, and they are similar times anyway.

It may depend on the game? Try it with Pilotwings if you have it. We can't judge until Vita comes out really if it depends on the game, and they are similar times anyway.

Yes, but the time they give is an estimate with half the features turned off. They didn't bother to give one with the stuff all turned on and that is what concerns me

Most usually show some game footage.

Ah but this is a Japanese press conference, truly the worst breed.

I feel people are just setting themselves up for disappointment whenever they watch press conferences. Not to say I don't: the experience is usually entertaining if only for griping about how rubbish it is with other people.

I just wanted some footage, just one trailer and all I got was the conference version of this

spiderman.gif

:P

Whether it's 3 or 5 hours, it's in the same ballpark; a pile of crap. Thing is, that's actually understandable considering what the Vita is doing. Almost 5 hours play with Zelda? That's stunningly unimpressive.

I'm more concerned about the sleep mode functionality. On the PSP it was amazing, I've left it for days on sleep mode before and came back and it still had a full battery.

The 3DS is shockingly shit in that regard.

Whether it's 3 or 5 hours, it's in the same ballpark; a pile of crap. Thing is, that's actually understandable considering what the Vita is doing. Almost 5 hours play with Zelda? That's stunningly unimpressive.

I know what you mean. Battery technology really needs to improve.

This is promising.

Android gaming coming to Vita

A new PlayStation Suite SDK due later this year allows developers to make Vita-compatible Android games, Sony has announced.

Sony's Kissei Matsumoto briefly detailed the system during a Tokyo Game Show presentation today, calling two developers on stage to play a side-scrolling shooter, one using a Vita, the other an Xperia Play. Sony's recently announced PlayStation-certified tablets will also be compatible.

PlayStation Suite titles will be available on Vita via the PlayStation Store, with a beta version of the dev kit going out to developers in November.

This is promising.

Indeed.

Even though I thought the conference was rubbish it hasn't stopped me from being hyped about the Vita and what the thing can do.

In other news, my PS3 has started making weird crackling sounds. It started when I was playing Killzone and now it's doing it again when playing Resistance. It also does it when i'm sitting on the dashboard. Should I be worried? I was thinking of taking it back to HMV and getting another one. Anyone think I have the grounds to get a new one?

Even though I thought the conference was rubbish...

As expected Sony's keynote and the deluge of TGS trailers has made up for its short falls; you can catch up with what was talked about during the former here.

You can find all the trailers at the usual suspects, but I'll highlight Gravity Rush as I think it looks really good:

In other news, my PS3 has started making weird crackling sounds. It started when I was playing Killzone and now it's doing it again when playing Resistance. It also does it when i'm sitting on the dashboard. Should I be worried? I was thinking of taking it back to HMV and getting another one. Anyone think I have the grounds to get a new one?

Anyone? :heh:

I'd say yes do it.Better safe than sorry if its a problem that could lead to more down the years.

In other news did anyone see the Vita packaging games wise?

vitacase01.jpg

Nice that they match with PS3/blu ray cases but what a waste of material. Although as someone pointed out on PSU they aren't as thick as DS cases but are taller so likely use a similar amount of plastic.

As in electrical crackling? If so I'd get it replaced.

However, if it's just the plastic casing expanding when the machine heats up — it makes the occasional creak — I wouldn't worry about it too much. My slim machine has done it since I bought it and I haven't had any problems. I think it's just an inevitability given the curved top; the casing just above the rear grills has always had a bit of give to it, but it's no worse than it ever was.

FFX HD coming to PS3 and Vita. Vita also has a more advanced remote play. Yoshida played Killzone 3 on Vita as a demo.

The 3DS is shockingly shit in that regard.

That cant be true. PSP is old now and it doesnt have the perfect sleep mode either(nowadays).

Indeed.

Even though I thought the conference was rubbish it hasn't stopped me from being hyped about the Vita and what the thing can do.

Its probably the plastic expanding and contracting due to temperatures. Nothing unsual. If its electricity then worry :p