NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I'm more concerned about the sleep mode functionality. On the PSP it was amazing, I've left it for days on sleep mode before and came back and it still had a full battery.

Your PSP has a better battery than mine then.

That cant be true. PSP is old now and it doesnt have the perfect sleep mode either(nowadays).

It was a long time ago, maybe I'm wrong. But I definitely remember the sleep mode being really good on the PSP.

It was a long time ago, maybe I'm wrong. But I definitely remember the sleep mode being really good on the PSP.

My PSP's sleep mode was fantastic, I used to leave it in sleep mode most of the time.

As in electrical crackling? If so I'd get it replaced.

However, if it's just the plastic casing expanding when the machine heats up — it makes the occasional creak — I wouldn't worry about it too much. My slim machine has done it since I bought it and I haven't had any problems. I think it's just an inevitability given the curved top; the casing just above the rear grills has always had a bit of give to it, but it's no worse than it ever was.

I did a litte research before getting it replaced and it turns out it was the HDD making the crackling sound. The sound was really loud on games that accessed the HDD alot like Resistance. When the Light flashed for the HDD then the sound would start.

I got it replaced no problem ( picked up God of War collection 2 ) although the disc drive is louder on this PS3.

Finally got the Platinum for NHL 11. It's a good thing I loved the game so much because some of the trophies were fairly difficult, not to mention time sensitive. Now to finish off Dragon Age and then perhaps start on NHL 12!

Finally got the Platinum for NHL 11. It's a good thing I loved the game so much because some of the trophies were fairly difficult, not to mention time sensitive. Now to finish off Dragon Age and then perhaps start on NHL 12!

I just started this...good so far although kind of shows its age which is bizarre to say about a game that is this gen.

It doesn't show its age so much as it's an intentional homage to games like Baldur's Gate 2.

I imagine flameboy was more referring to the rather lacklustre art direction and general clunkiness of the console ports. The PC version really is a lot better, and not just mechanically.

For what it's worth I consider DA2 to be pretty much better and worse in equal measure. Rather than two steps forward, one step back it's more like a sidle off to the side; they probably shouldn't have stuck a 2 on it.

You're probably right. For some reason, it didn't even cross my mind that someone would play the console version of Dragon Age, despite being in a PlayStation thread.

It doesn't show its age so much as it's an intentional homage to games like Baldur's Gate 2.

I imagine flameboy was more referring to the rather lacklustre art direction and general clunkiness of the console ports. The PC version really is a lot better, and not just mechanically.

For what it's worth I consider DA2 to be pretty much better and worse in equal measure. Rather than two steps forward, one step back it's more like a sidle off to the side; they probably shouldn't have stuck a 2 on it.

You're probably right. For some reason, it didn't even cross my mind that someone would play the console version of Dragon Age, despite being in a PlayStation thread.

Yeah basically what Aimless said is right. Also in terms of presentation the likes of Mass Effect have refined the dialogue systems they now use (voice acting for your character for a start) I'm not saying in terms of the mechanics though as I've said before on here huge Baldur's Gate fan...granted its taken me a very long time to find time to sink into Dragon Age

There's a lot of games coming out on PSN at the moment. Can't decide what to get...got a £25 psn card and want bttf still but also payday heist is just round the corner, also thought about resubscribing to psn plus and resi 4 (with code veronica to follow) just came out and burnout crash and renegade ops....toooooo many choices!

There's a lot of games coming out on PSN at the moment. Can't decide what to get...got a £25 psn card and want bttf still but also payday heist is just round the corner, also thought about resubscribing to psn plus and resi 4 (with code veronica to follow) just came out and burnout crash and renegade ops....toooooo many choices!

And let's not forget the shadow of the colossus plus Ico collection which will no doubt surface on PSN soon after its disc release. Ico I'm not too fussed about, but SotC is breathtaking.

And let's not forget the shadow of the colossus plus Ico collection which will no doubt surface on PSN soon after its disc release. Ico I'm not too fussed about, but SotC is breathtaking.

Already got the disc version preordered. Likely cheaper that way anyhow if retail prices are anything go by compared to PSN, like this week Driver San Francisco going up for £57.99.

It's the publisher that determines the price, though.

God of War Collection 2 was actually cheaper on PSN than in store.

It's the publisher that determines the price, though.

God of War Collection 2 was actually cheaper on PSN than in store.

Yah people give so much grief on the eu blog about it. Apparently though it is somewhat to do with retailer pressure on publishers to makes sure such games are not priced competitively so as to put off the majority of people.

Its hit and miss with digital distro. Getting much better though. Remember to get deals on PSn cards so you save cash. Shopto do an instant code if you are lazy and save abit :)

The GOW Collection demo was insane. Perfect 1080p 60 fps with flawless anti aliasing. Really nice job. Also the new DTS 7.1 sound is great. Love the remastering job. Its a better job then the earlier PS2 GOW collection lol. People also say the 3d is superb and better than most PS3 and PC games.

Edited by Choze

Just a heads up for anyone interested in the Splinter Cell collection: the first two games aren't very well optimised at all, I recommend sticking to Chaos Theory as it's a far superior port and is quite possibly the best stealth game ever. It actually holds up pretty well graphically, too; it could easily pass for a game released in 2008 rather than 2005.

Cheers Aimless. Thought about picking them up but when I looked into it, folks were kicking off about aubi removing the multiplayer elements and the inverted camera control options. Also heard the framerates were buggy as hell so skipped on them. Shame as I thought they may be an interesting diversion.

Sony announces PSN exclusives campaign

Sony has announced Only On PSN, a new campaign to promote PlayStation Network exclusive games throughout October.

At least one exclusive PSN title will be released each week throughout the month, starting this Wednesday with Rochard.

In the US, the confirmed line-up is Eufloria and Rochard for this week and Sideway: New York for next.

Charming cel-shaded Okabu and Rocketbirds arrive the week after, with standalone vampire expansion inFamous 2: Festival of Blood and PixelJunk Sidescroller rounding out the month.

Finally, this week will also see a selection of "rare classic" PlayStation 2 titles made available to download: God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red. Will Sony now bring PS2 games to PS3 games on a regular basis?

PSN Plus members receive a 20 per cent discount on each Only On PSN title the week it's released.

Meanwhile, gamers who spend more than $60 on any PlayStation Network content - games, themes, movies, whatever - get a $10 credit towards their November shopping. European discounts are still to be confirmed.

Only On PSN follows this summer's PlayStation Network Play campaign - Sony's first real attempt at rivalling the Xbox 360's Summer of Arcade.

PSN Play featured titles such as Renegade Ops and The Baconing, although unlike the XBLA Summer of Arcade, none were platform exclusives.

That's because Microsoft won't ship Xbox Live Arcade games unless they are released at least simultaneously with competing platforms, European Xbox boss Chris Lewis previously confirmed to Eurogamer.

Many of the titles featured were funded in-part by Sony through its Publisher Fund it created a couple of years ago. This summer saw the platform giant add $20 million extra cash to the Pub Fund pot.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-03-sony-announces-psn-exclusives-campaign