NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I remember everyone saying the Move looked like a glowing dildo.

Because it looked like a glowing dildo.

A Wii 'killer'? No. Never.

I can't be bothered to search this forum, just so I can prove people wrong.

Ahh maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure I remember some folks on here (probably Choze-no offence :P), basically saying that the Wii can't compete because it can't do the sort of things the Move can. Which is true, however, besides added realism in games such as Sports Champions, I've hardly seen anything that can't be done on the Wii already.

Also the Move is too big IMO I prefer the Wii remote.

I have a move and Navi controller, which I've hardly used; so you lot can recommend some games to me if you want.

Move and the Wii are as shit as each other.

Although I prefer the Move because it has a rechargeable battery and a glowing ball. I'd try everything to avoid playing games with either, though. Everything.

Move and the Wii are as shit as each other.

Although I prefer the Move because it has a rechargeable battery and a glowing ball. I'd try everything to avoid playing games with either, though. Everything.

Sorry but you're just factually wrong.

The Wii version of RE:4 has superior controls and is a lot of fun to play.

If you're just specifically talking about waggle, then I agree. I don't agree with you on everything being shit though.

Another thing;

Wii remote + Nunchuck >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dual Shock

Also pointer controls are one of the best innovations to come out of this generation.

I can't be factually wrong because my statement is subjective. Not to mention logically water tight since me saying that Move is as shit as the Wii also means that Move is as amazing as the Wii. The subjectivity inherent is that I dislike both. The basic notion underlined though, is that they are pretty much the same thing.

Needless to say, bar RE:4, which has outdated mechanics (no walking and shooting) that suits the pointer-like controller well, is an example that is almost half a decade old.

I can't think of a single game that I'd rather play with pointer controls. If I'm that bothered about being pr0, I'll play it on my PC. And I've never been that bothered to play games on my PC.

So no, I'm not factually wrong.

N.B. I didn't say everything was shit. I said I'd try 'EVERYTHING' to avoid them.

Also, how good could pointer controls have been if the WiiU has totally shifted the focus away from it?

Sorry but you're just factually wrong.

The Wii version of RE:4 has superior controls and is a lot of fun to play.

If you're just specifically talking about waggle, then I agree. I don't agree with you on everything being shit though.

Another thing;

Wii remote + Nunchuck >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dual Shock

Also pointer controls are one of the best innovations to come out of this generation.

Absolute bollocks. Motion controls are about the worst thing to come out of this generation. They should have remained confined to dimly lit arcades with hideously priced blocky shoot 'em ups.

Also, how good could pointer controls have been if the WiiU has totally shifted the focus away from it?

Yes, in fact focus was shifted so much away from pointer controls in Nintendo's E3 presentation, that about the second thing Nintendo showed of the WiiU were Wiimotes. :heh:

Yes, in fact focus was shifted so much away from pointer controls in Nintendo's E3 presentation, that about the second thing Nintendo showed of the WiiU were Wiimotes. :heh:

I was a little confused by Nintendo at E3, tbh. So they have the WiiU controller...and you're meant to use the Wii-mote at the same time?

I can't be factually wrong because my statement is subjective. Not to mention logically water tight since me saying that Move is as shit as the Wii also means that Move is as amazing as the Wii. The subjectivity inherent is that I dislike both. The basic notion underlined though, is that they are pretty much the same thing.

Thanks Daft, I’ve always wondered what the difference between fact and opinion were. I was hoping you’d realise that I wasn’t being serious about the ‘factually wrong’ part. Now you’ve made me look like a right arsehole for having to point that out to you.

Needless to say, bar RE:4, which has outdated mechanics (no walking and shooting) that suits the pointer-like controller well, is an example that is almost half a decade old.

The ‘no walking and shooting’ didn’t bother me and there are other Wii games where you can walk and shoot. Also what’s age got to do with anything?

I can't think of a single game that I'd rather play with pointer controls. If I'm that bothered about being pr0, I'll play it on my PC. And I've never been that bothered to play games on my PC.

You don’t want to play games with pointer controls because you’re used to the Dual Shock controller.

I first got the Wii in Christmas 2006 and by the time I got my PS3 in 2008, playing shooters et.al felt awkward and archaic. Eventually I got used to the Dual Shock again.

So no, I'm not factually wrong.

OK you’re just wrong then. :heh:

N.B. I didn't say everything was shit. I said I'd try 'EVERYTHING' to avoid them.

OK random question; will you be getting Zelda:Skyward Sword?

We both hardly know anything about the WiiU so there’s really no point in going down that road.

That's all cool. It's a bit of a dead end discussion. I'm not saying people don't appreciate pointer functionality, it just just doesn't bother me. Basically, whatever floats your boat. S'all cool.

I'm not getting Zelda. Not because of the controls but because it's only going to be some slight variation on the past 7 Zelda games I've played. I know what to expect. It bores me. And I haven't seen anything of SS that appears to indicate otherwise. I may be wrong. TP killed it for me.

(Walking and shooting didn't bother me in RE, it's just the only game that does it and to my mind the only thing that really makes pointer controls shine.)

I'm just taking the random example of Uncharted because I know you're such a fan... but how would Uncharted not play exactly the same if not better, if instead of using a second anologue stick to aim with, you were using a pointer?

I can aim better with a stick. The stick is used for positioning the reticle, once it's placed it only need minor adjustments to keep in place. With a pointer I have to keep my arm/wrist/hand steady. I don't like that. Nor do I like the lack of weight involved.

Also, with a pointer, control of the camera is annoying and distracting.

If people want to use a pointer, that's cool. I'm actually quite interested to see how Infamous 2 plays with the Move. I think it could work there because Infamous is not a game about precision. You just blow the crap out of everything.

That's all cool. It's a bit of a dead end discussion. I'm not saying people don't appreciate pointer functionality, it just just doesn't bother me. Basically, whatever floats your boat. S'all cool.

I'm not getting Zelda. Not because of the controls but because it's only going to be some slight variation on the past 7 Zelda games I've played. I know what to expect. It bores me. And I haven't seen anything of SS that appears to indicate otherwise. I may be wrong. TP killed it for me.

(Walking and shooting didn't bother me in RE, it's just the only game that does it and to my mind the only thing that really makes pointer controls shine.)

Coolio no problem.

To be fair I'm not that hyped for the new Zelda either. I see that as a good thing though, because if it is as good as some people think it will be, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Going by what I've heard so far, story wise it sounds like a Zelda fan's wet dream. Don't know if that's a good thing though.

I agree with you on the boring part, I've played and completed that many Zelda games, I've lost almost all interest in them. I'm still going to give Zelda:SS a go though.

Edited by The Lillster

Yeah there is definately something about having the tension behind an analogue sticks movement... it was definately something you had to adjust to with the Wii.

But then I played through Goldeneye on Wii, where precision/accuracy is key for Stealth playthroughs etc... and it was great. I think it's just whether you mind spending the necessary time to get used to the setup.

I don't like the Wii remote and I have had a Wii since launch. It's definitely not because I'm used to the dual shock.

I dislike motion control because it's inefficient. It's far easier and less time consuming to move a thumb than it is to move an arm or wrist. It's also not very accurate to point, the hand is naturally a little shakey (try pointing your wii remote at the same part of the menu screen and see the hand move about).

But most of all it's not fun. I don't get any enjoyment from thinking 'I'm the one who killed that monster' because my arm moved in a vaguely similar way to the character on screen. I'm not a child, that's really not fun to me at all.

Coolio no problem.

To be fair I'm not that hyped for the new Zelda either. I see that as a good thing though, because if it is as good as some people think it will be, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Going by what I've heard so far, story wise it sounds like a Zelda fan's wet dream. Don't know if that's a good thing though.

I agree with you on the boring part, I've played and completed that many Zelda games, I've lost almost all interest in them. I'm still going to give Zelda:SS a go though.

I may pick it up on a whim and I think that's probably the best thing for it because I just want to forget about Zelda and just be surprised by SS a little. We'll see. I'd love to be charmed and surprised by a Zelda again like Majora's Mask or WW did.

Yeah there is definately something about having the tension behind an analogue sticks movement... it was definately something you had to adjust to with the Wii.

But then I played through Goldeneye on Wii, where precision/accuracy is key for Stealth playthroughs etc... and it was great. I think it's just whether you mind spending the necessary time to get used to the setup.

My biggest issue is the camera. There's always a disjoint between how the reticle moves and how the camera moves that really pulls me out of the experience. I'm almost certain that this is only applicable to FPSs, though.

@Sheikah Yeah really I'd agree... to me it's not something that feels like a natural extension, it's something you have to give extra attention to all the time to keep the precision up.

Sometimes it can feel really good, but most times it just feels like really an analogue would be far simpler and quicker.

I haven't played Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, but I'd imagine that game plays incredibly well with it is because of the length of the game and you're given time to grow into the pointer controls, so that as you get to the later more difficult stages everything does feel natural and come very quickly.

For FPS where you need to have that precision from the get go, it can be a hassle at times.

There's always a disjoint between how the reticle moves and how the camera moves

That is essentially the fundamental failure. RE4 Wii edition was fantastic because those two components weren't working in tandem.

Navigating a corner in a Wii FPS is like trying to hit the apex of a hairpin in a drifting bus. You end up in a wall.

Edited by dwarf

I was a little confused by Nintendo at E3, tbh. So they have the WiiU controller...and you're meant to use the Wii-mote at the same time?

That was probably the main source of all the confusion at E3 and a major oversight by Nintendo. Showing Wiimotes and games that looked like Wii games by all rights before even showing the new console itself. Way to imply the Pad is only a Wii-addon. :heh:

In hindsight the intended message is clear though: There is one "U-Pad" per console and for local multiplayer everyone else uses Wiimotes/Classic-Controllers.

I'm personally hoping that pointer controls will pick up. The new Counter Strike is confirmed to support Move on the PS3, isn't it? I believe even Bioshock Infinite was confirmed to support Move. I hope more devs use the opportunity in the future, as I found it hard to go back to dual analogues after getting accustomed to pointer controls. Options don't hurt.

That is essentially the fundamental failure. RE4 Wii edition was fantastic because the those two components weren't working in tandem.

Navigating a corner in a Wii FPS is like trying to hit the apex of a hairpin in a drifting bus. You end up in a wall.

I've heard Killzone 3 has good pointer controls, apparently once you get the settings right, it feels really good and natural.

I don't have Killzone 3, so I can't give you my verdict. If I see it cheap I might buy it.

I've heard Killzone 3 has good pointer controls, apparently once you get the settings right, it feels really good and natural.

I don't have Killzone 3, so I can't give you my verdict. If I see it cheap I might buy it.

Yeah pointer controls are fine but still i think controllers are comfier.