NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Thanks Dom :smile: hmm I dk about the last bit in that paragraph though...

"Some consoles, however, read 220v~240v 1.8a which are not universal. The power consumption is approximately 280W."

It's so annoying because thats damn close to official confirmation but I need it to be official so that the people telling me I need a step down will finally be convinced otherwise. :heh:

Does it not say in the manual?

Hmm surely though if it does auto adjust the voltage and the converter is set to the same voltage then it will essentially be like a pass-through anyway so it shouldn't matter?

Well it won't quite be a pass through, if you just have the PS3 you'll have a system of:

Power socket (230V) -> PS3 Power Supply (230V converted to usable)

If you add in the Step Down you've got

Power socket (230V) -> Step Down (230V down to 110V) -> PS3 Power Supply (110V converted to usable)

So your effectively reducing the power twice which is probably much less efficient, means there's two heat dumps and just adds to the list of things that can blow.

To be honest its probably never going to be a problem but in my experience step downs are generally small, get incredibly hot and its always been my biggest fear of problems. I would never use one unless absolutely necessary and with the PS3 its not at all.

"Some consoles, however, read 220v~240v 1.8a which are not universal. The power consumption is approximately 280W."

It's so annoying because thats damn close to official confirmation but I need it to be official so that the people telling me I need a step down will finally be convinced otherwise. :heh:

You do know that we are 240 volts right? So it wouldn't matter :P

I remember when some guy was trying to flog someone a stepdown in town, £80 for one that was "proven to work with the PS3" I was just like, omg don't buy it man!

ah so that bit must refer to the EU models as I've read that some of those aren't universal in some small cases but the USA ones are.

5amp kettle is all you need :yay:

I kniow, but it's not me I need to convince :heh: thats why I want to see if i can get official confirmation from somewhere online which would solve the problem.

Just show them this thread, these people are clearly in the know and are advising against it.

Am I right in thinking you've turned it on already? If you have then that should be proof enough for the people. Putting 230V into something that can only take 110V would fry instantly, its not a case of a ticking time bomb, the thing would have blown the minute you turned it on.

Yeah I have already turned it on and it works thats whats so frustrating, but like I say, if theres official confirmation anywhere online stating that the power supply is universal then that will solve it. :smile:

I don't think your going to find anything official. The US PlayStation support site says it should only be used with a 110V supply. They're only doing it to cover their backs and discourage importing but I doubt they will contradict it anywhere else.

Only place your likely to get official confirmation is by opening up the PS3 and seeing if the transformer has the details written on it.

Bleh... I may have to open it up then to confirm it *sigh* so pointless and needless though, I've looked for official confirmation too which would save me from opening it up, if anyone finds official confirmation let me know, otherwise I may just use a voltage converter even though it's needless... :hmm:

If your that bothered just ring Sony up...

If your that bothered just ring Sony up...

I'm not, just got some people to convince, anyways I found this...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=274798

(has picture of the internal power supply)

and this...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908&ref=y

(article contains official confirmation by SCEA -that the power supply is universal)

"We have confirmation from SCEA now that the power supply inside the Playstation 3 is, in fact, universal. The power supply supports 100 to 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hertz, which is useable in all modern power grids -- including Europe. Although European markers require a different physical plug for their infrastructure, there is no need to replace the power supply."

So in theory all should be fine now. :smile:

*update*

E-mailed SCEA quoting what they said in the article, hopefully they'll confirm it for me. *awaits reply* :blank:

I can't believe you have to go through all these trouble, seriously it's beyond a joke.

I can't believe you have to go through all these trouble, seriously it's beyond a joke.

I know lol :laughing: but hopefully the confirmation from SCEA will be enough and if not then I'll just have to run it through the converter that I'll be supplised with :indeed: not that there will be anything to convert but heh nm. :P

Why didn't you just phone Sony up? You could of had a answer in 5 minutes. SECA might not reply for days.

Is PAIN meant to be out soon??

Delayed till the 20/03/08 supposadely! I wouldn't count on that though!

The Bowling PSN game has been delayed till April as well now apparently.

Why didn't you just phone Sony up? You could of had a answer in 5 minutes. SECA might not reply for days.

Cos I cba to phone em :heh: anyways it doesn't matter now because apparently it's not just about the difference in voltage, there are some other factors too, the person who's advising against using it without a voltage converter is a more than qualified electrician and most of the time is right anyway.

So I'm getting the adaptor whether I need it or not, the upside is running it with the adaptor should in theory make the console last longer anyway as the insides of USA consoles are made to completely different standards than UK ones so I guess running it at it's original intended voltage will help.

Anyways gonna order it tomorrow then I can run my PS3 through it "safely" and get to the important part...

Playing the damn machine! :laughing:

Roll on June 12th!

*edit*

Also, wheres the best place to buy USA PS2 games and Blurays from besides eBay? I may get the majority of the ones I want from there but just wanted to know if there are any good import sites for them. :)

Also, wheres the best place to buy USA PS2 games and Blurays from besides eBay? I may get the majority of the ones I want from there but just wanted to know if there are any good import sites for them. :)

I use dvdboxoffice for my movies

Just ordered Resistance for £17.99. Should be fun! Is there local co-op?

Just ordered Resistance for £17.99. Should be fun! Is there local co-op?

where from?

Has anyone played the Super Rubbadub game or the Snakeball demo? My god i love those games! Playin them at a friends house again today!

There's loads of cheap PS3 games on ebay btw.