NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Only the PS3 games are region free, the PS2 side is still only able to play US game if you get a US PS3.

Yup... thats true.

Same with Blu Ray movies and DVD's. You can only play the games/movies from the region you bought the console from.

Ah cool thanks m_fergy, Dom, Jordan :smile: I think I'll still go for it if I can get hold of one, because for PS3 games clearly it's good as can get US versions earlier, PS2 games... I don't want to play a huge amount of them but I think a lot of NTSC games tend to be even cheaper than PAL?

I may also at some point wish to pick up one or two NTSC only games so thats cool, Blu Ray... I don't watch a huge amount of films atm at all so thats not so bad, could get some releases earlier and again slightly older films will no doubt be cheaper.

Other than that I think I'll be good to go, unless theres anything I need to know about stuff in the settings menus that I would need to change etc due ot it being an import, I would assume they are largely the same though regardless of region.

Assuming I get it, I'll want to pick up MGS4 in March? (I heard that was the US release date, unless I'm wrong?) I guess the best place to get that from would be VGplanet, play-asia etc?

Assuming I get it, I'll want to pick up MGS4 in March? (I heard that was the US release date, unless I'm wrong?) I guess the best place to get that from would be VGplanet, play-asia etc?

June 11th, world wide.

Oh and you'de need a different power cable.

US PS2 Games are always 60hz, so you never get boarders, and of course if you are an RPG fan, you get all those ones that never come to Europe. :)

Yeah but you're missing the point. RPG's are generally cliché and terrible... generally speaking.

Even you have to admit theres a jack load of clone RPG's out there. Even Lost Oddessy for its story telling (which, to be honest, i can't be doing with reams of text half the time) is very much just an NES FF game with a coat of paint.

ah I assumed that June 11th was just for Europe and that US would get it months before due to Europe getting shafted on a release date yet again. :heh: But either way June 11th is cool, gives me time to actually get the machine.

and hmm yes thats another plus about the PS2 games as I hate borders, as for RPG's hmm there may be a couple, if there were any US exclusives in the Tales of... series then definitely. :smile:

Is there a reason Disgaea 2 isnt coming to PSP? Its extremely annoying that I may have to buy a PS2 just to play it! Booo!

And I agree with Jordan. I love decent RPGs but fuck some are so cloney, samey and dont bring anything interesting or new to the table. Or are too long and not involving, and no pay off. And too much text for a SUPER standard story.

Yeah but you're missing the point. RPG's are generally cliché and terrible... generally speaking.

Even you have to admit theres a jack load of clone RPG's out there. Even Lost Oddessy for its story telling (which, to be honest, i can't be doing with reams of text half the time) is very much just an NES FF game with a coat of paint.

Yet a lot of them get good scores, because the games are good, simple as. Just because you don't like RPGs, don't think everyone else doesn't too, LOAD OF PEOPLE LOVE EM. You entirely miss the point too, so many RPGs now try and change the battle system, have different implentations of stuff and of course different stories. LO battle system may seem old school it on the outside, but the ring and guard system make it play more so then just a old style RPG.

You could say your negatives about ANY game genre. There's nothing wrong if the game is good, the game is good. Go back to playing your repeated over Shooters and racers and let us have are cool and interesting stories.

Suikoden 3 never came to europe, yet that game got 90S from major sites and got RPG of the year from gamespot and such. I can easily say that Suikoden is certainly not a so called cliche rpg as you so call it.

Welcome to the group ^_^ Ratchet and Clank is awesome and Heavenly Sword is a pretty cool action game, shame it's just short :(

I really don't understand all the Tools of Destruction love. It looks nice, sure, but overall I found it entirely average. What am I missing?

I really don't understand all the Tools of Destruction love. It looks nice, sure, but overall I found it entirely average. What am I missing?

I love it to bits but then im biased as I adore all the R&C games.

I was just a laugh out loud game. I loved the story, so many weapons to use and upgrade.

Plus the disco ball made this one of the best games I'd played this year.

I got it on Tuesday with my PS3 and the first hour or so I thought it was pretty average but the more I play it the more I love it!

I'm preferring it to Galaxy because this actually has a story.

I should mention that I have completed it. I didn't rush through, either: I got all the planetary Skill Points, only leaving a few general ones unfinished.

As I said, it looks great, but I found that to be the only exceptional thing about it. I wasn't expecting much from the story, so that isn't really an issue, but the platforming/puzzles, gunplay, and space shooter sections were all very staid and unengaging. Humour is a more subjective thing so I won't hold that against it, but I only found it lightly amusing at best.

If I was suggesting a PS3 game for a 12-year-old then I'd put forward Ratchet and Clank's game wholeheartedly. However, how the numerous adults that I've seen holding it up as a fantastic game is beyond me; it's right up their with Torchwood on the unfathomable popularity scale.

Tbh, I had no idea Tourchwood was popular or why! :p

I haven't completed it yet so I can't really give a fair opinion but so far I'm really enjoying it. I like upgrading the weapons.

...ok, Tourchwwod isn't as bad as PrimEvil, (or whatever its called) its like watching a car crash because you know its going to be awful!

I haven't completed it yet so I can't really give a fair opinion but so far I'm really enjoying it. I like upgrading the weapons.

I should say that if you're enjoying it then that's fine by me; I'm not trying to say, "Stop having fun!"

I bought it on the strength of lots of people — not just members here — saying it was great. That's why it feels like I must be missing something, because the game I played would probably get 6/10 were I to review it. It's not bad, but it plays like a good game from 10 years ago.

I loved Tools of Destruction! So pretty, really thought it looked spectacular!

I think the reason everyone loves it so much is the games are just pure undulated fun! A bit mindless yeah, but its quite funny and the weapons are always something special. If you don't like things that go BOOM, that yeah I suppose the game ain't for you!

I understand what you mean. It was a basic adventure game; puzzles, storyline, collectables like any other game. You probably think to yourself 'I've played this before' because maybe you've played another adventure game like this.

Me though, it's the first game like this I've played from start to end. I havn't played any previous R&C games so I didn't know what to expect from it.

In the end, each to his own.

You like what you like and I like what I like. No point in trying to force opinions on each other.

I should say that if you're enjoying it then that's fine by me; I'm not trying to say, "Stop having fun!"

I bought it on the strength of lots of people — not just members here — saying it was great. That's why it feels like I must be missing something, because the game I played would probably get 6/10 were I to review it. It's not bad, but it plays like a good game from 10 years ago.

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. I don't get everyone's fascination with Mario Galaxy, its fun for a bit but its just the same old same old.

I think I'm liking R&C because its just so easy to play. Also like Stefkov, I've never played a R&C before.

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. I don't get everyone's fascination with Mario Galaxy, its fun for a bit but its just the same old same old.

I think I'm liking R&C because its just so easy to play. Also like Stefkov, I've never played a R&C before.

I feel the same way about Zelda, as in it's a good game but there getting a bit samey now. Hopefully the next Zelda will be totally different like nintendo said awhile ago.

I feel the same way about Zelda, as in it's a good game but there getting a bit samey now. Hopefully the next Zelda will be totally different like nintendo said awhile ago.

Yeah, I'm REALLY suspect about Twilight Princess because they delayed it to make it "the best Zelda ever"TM but if you look at the earlier videos from E3 they actually took stuff out!

It felt soulless to me but this isn't the right thread for it! :p

It felt soulless to me but this isn't the right thread for it! :p

Imo, it had soul but once it was all done and completed it felt like you'd just played through a larger version of OOT which is no bad thing but the series definitely needs something new which will no doubt come across in the next installment.

Back on topic - My quest in obtaining a 60GB USA PS3 continues, but with any luck I have have one in under a week, if not I'll keep trying but will eventually probably give up and just wait for the PAL 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle. :heh:

This is how the preordering/MGS Beta works.

From Kotaku

According to the release, the pre-sell program kicks off in April. Those who put down some cash early will walk away with the Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD, a disc that should get Metal Gear noobs up to speed with a history-recapping prologue and a collection of trailers for MGS4. A Metal Gear Online beta key will be contained within the pre-order package, so make sure you don't get mugged on the way out of your local GameStop.

Im well happy getting a Saga DVD, Ive played all the games beore but I love all the cutscenes from the game.