NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

lol, cool!

Since I am a newbie at this whole Playstation thing, are there any cool things I should/could download!? (Preferably free if possible! :heh: )

Also, do the controllers charge when the console is off and how long is the battery life?

You can't charge them when the console is off which is a shame. You could plug it into your PC, it'll charge that way.

Free shit:

Super Rub 'a Dub trial

Lemming's trial

Gran Turismo HD

Worth buying:

Tekken 6 Dark Ressurection Online (if you like Tekken)

Super Stardust HD (a must)

Warhawk (really good multiplayer)

Demos worth checking out:

Motorstorm

Folklore

Devil May Cry 4

Resistance

Hmm... probably some other stuff.

Awesome, I forgot about GT! Thanks!

I'm trying to sort out the internet connection, I don't think there is anything wrong but with my 360 I had to tell my BeBox to allow it to use XBL. It doesn't have PS3 as an option which is a bit annoying.

So basically you preorder MGS4 and your in the beta? Sounds good! Methinks I will go through the MGS games again before 4 arrives.

I've been reading about a game called Valkyria Chronicles from Sega today heading to PS3 during Q3 '08. Its being produced by Shuntaro Tanaka (I think that's his name) who also produced the amazing Skies of Arcadia. I know its supposed to be an RPG but some sites have said its a strategy-RPG which kind of puts me off a bit. Does anyone know much about this game as it does look like it has some beautiful cel-shaded esque graphics and PS3 does need some good RPGs before FFXIII comes along???

All I know is that it's a fantastic looking tactical RPG which somehow allows the player to move and attack freely — I don't know how that works, exactly. Oh, and it takes a Jeanne D'arc approach to history, namely the second World War.

Daft, you should definitely look up Warhawk and see if it peaks your interest; it's easily my most played online game. I seem to remember some people having issues using their PS3s with Be, though, so you might want to give that a Google first and see if there are any settings you need to change and such.

I've been looking at that Valkyria game the past two days.

The only thing I know about it is it uses some 'Canvas' program that simulates a watercolour style for the game.

It reminded me of Eternal Sonata, I'll probably pick it up.

Daft, you should definitely look up Warhawk and see if it peaks your interest; it's easily my most played online game. I seem to remember some people having issues using their PS3s with Be, though, so you might want to give that a Google first and see if there are any settings you need to change and such.

Will do, I'm pretty intrigued by it!

I'll call up Be if I have any problems, they were pretty good sorting my 360 out. *crosses fingers*

Daft...just plug your PS3 into the back of your Wii to charge it thats what I do!

As for Warhawk...is it worth getting the retail copy for? to get the headset is VOIP a big part of it? I recommend Orange Box for online as well Team Fortress is cool....

Rez and Daft add me as well...flameboyNE

6tpph4.jpg

Anyone know when that bundle is out in the UK? O.o same day as MGS4 is released I assume, in which case I guess it won't be available to pre-order online for a few weeks yet, just checked Play.com, nothing there, I thought the 80GB PS3 was out... or is it still due for release? (backwards compatible like the 60GB I assume)

I'm not exactly 100% clued up on those details, all I know is I'd really like a PS3 once theres a game out on it that I would "really" like to play and MGS4 be that game. :heh:

We never got the 80GB here, it does have back compat but its software only.

We never got the 80GB here, it does have back compat but its software only.

Hmm so the 60GB version is the only one with "proper" backwards compatability or is that just sotware too? And if we didn't get the 80GB here does that mean that we will be getting it when that MGS4 pack comes out? If so and if the B/C is the same as the 60GB one then I may wait and get an 80GB, if not... the hunt for a 60GB one continues! :heh:

Okay, so heres the thing.

The "propper" back compat only existed in two consoles, they have the emotion engine onboard. The NTSC 60gb and the NTSC 20gb.

America had a 80gb software back compat model, this isn't around much anymore for some reason.

The PAL 60gb had software back compat, but has now been discontinued.

You can now currently get only the 40gb PS3 in both PAL and NTSC regions and both lack backwards compatability (apart from PS1 games). The new 80gb will have the same backwards compatability that is found in the old PAL 60gb and old 80gb NTSC.

Get that? :D

Yep got it, thanks Jordan :smile: so basically I'm better off waiting for the 80GB model to be released in the UK and hope that we get that Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle, that way I'll have the software backwards B/C, the largest HDD available currently for it, and of course MGS4, sounds good to me.:D

*sigh* my damn half PS3.

Small HDD, no memory card slots, only 2 USB ports and no PS2 back compat :(

I wish they'de bring out the back compat as a buyable software patch for the 40gb. After all, its only a piece of code in the OS...

*sigh* my damn half PS3.

I wish they'de bring out the back compat as a buyable software patch for the 40gb. After all, its only a piece of code in the OS...

Me too. :(

*Strokes his full on USA 60GB hard drive PS3*

Ah running any PS2 game is fantastic, upscaled too! :D *Is playing Wild Arms 5*

*Strokes his full on USA 60GB hard drive PS3*

Ah running any PS2 game is fantastic, upscaled too! :D *Is playing Wild Arms 5*

You're a bad person.

I'm surprised you haven't put a new HDD in Jordan. 40GB is tiny.

I'm not exactly storing much on it... got like 25GB left.

My server?

Has a wireless card in it for my internet connection.

Hosts my network in my room, connected to a switch which connects to my PS3, Wii, 360 and PC.

Has around 1.2 terrabyte of storage (8 HDD's made up of 200GB's, 120GB's and an old 30GB boot drive.)

Is loud due to yee oldie and shitty PSU.

Warez's like shit.

EDIT: Its also a media server, it runs Windows Media Connect 2.0 which means i can run videos on my consoles and of course the HDD's are shared across my network so any PC can access anything on it... and it has remote desktop so that no monitor/keyboard/mouse is plugged into it. I just look at it from my desktop.

My names: jacks_mannequin

Send me a friends request if you like!

Will do tonight...

Rez and Daft add me if you like.

Mech-Maverick.

Will add you as well...

*sigh* my damn half PS3.

I don't think that will happen. I honestly think once the PS2 stops being a viable platform we will see them turn up on the Playstation Store...Sony have made it clear they want to see an end to the second hand/preowned market which lets face is it is what most people would use to pick up old games, this way Sony still make money.