NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

hmmm if there was such a firewall wouldn't that block me playing football manager live on my PC? as managed to play that fine...

EDIT;

Also why would it just start doing this now when its never been a problem before?

Dunno, I can only speak from experience. The way you describe the problem just sounds like what I had. Some games work fine, others, like CoD4, had intermittent problems of disconnections and sometimes would not find any games at all. All this started a couple of months after first install of the router and trouble-free online gaming.

After I researched the problem through various internet sites and forums, it seemed likely that the firewall within my router was a bit over zealous. I disabled it, and everything now runs fine again.

That's not to say you have the same problem, it just gives you something to look into.

Dunno, I can only speak from experience. The way you describe the problem just sounds like what I had. Some games work fine, others, like CoD4, had intermittent problems of disconnections and sometimes would not find any games at all. All this started a couple of months after first install of the router and trouble-free online gaming.

After I researched the problem through various internet sites and forums, it seemed likely that the firewall within my router was a bit over zealous. I disabled it, and everything now runs fine again.

That's not to say you have the same problem, it just gives you something to look into.

You have a lot? Please can I have some? I want some new PSN games for free, and the last time I gave someone all mine they just left me in the shit with nothing.

I promise I will share future games with you, so if you are going to buy one, I may buy it for both of us.

I have tried disabling so will see what happens...

Here's some various news items. First up is details of the new firmware updates for the PSP and PS3.

PS3 Firmware 2.50:

Support for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset –

We’ve told you about the upcoming Bluetooth Headset and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Bundle on the Blog. This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode.

PlayStation Trophies interface enhancements –

I know that many of you are busy collecting trophies and raising your PlayStation Trophy level. This update makes sharing and comparing your trophies with your friends even easier. On 1st part of the profile page you’ll see a symbol under level that represents level and the actual percentage towards the next level along with the existing level meter. The level symbol carries over to the trophy comparison screen where you will now be able to see your level, your friend’s level and the percentage towards the next level for both users along with all of the game by game comparison information you see today.

Friend status –

Offline friends on your Friends list will have information below their avatars that will indicate how long it has been since they were last online.

Video –

This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.

PlayStation Store –

We’ve added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.

Power Save Settings –

You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

Background Downloading –

You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

In-game Screenshots –

This tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

In addition to all of the features above there are some additional features and enhancements included in 2.50. Once the update launches, you can read all of the details here.

PSP Firmware 5.00:

-Let’s start with the v5.00 update for PSP. In this version, you’ll notice the addition of the PlayStation Network icon on the XMB. You can now sign up for PlayStation Network, manage your account and access PlayStation Store directly from your PSP - meaning you can download games directly to your PSP while connected via Wi-Fi. Getting games, demos and trailers while on-the-go has never been easier! Check out the screen below.

-The current PlayStation Store on the PC will be down in the interim as we take some time to revamp. Don’t worry, it will re-launch soon after we’ve made some tweaks. Please keep in mind, if you already have a PlayStation Network account, simply sign in on your PSP using your existing information. The same account and wallet can be used on PS3 and PSP. You will be able to check out the PlayStation Store on the PSP soon, as we’ll have a video demo featuring Grace Chen posted soon on the Blog.

Next up is the release dates for the end of the year.

PlayStation 3:

LittleBigPlanet – October 24th

Siren Blood Curse – October 31st

Buzz! Quiz TV Special Edition – October 31st

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift – November 14th

SingStar Vol. 3 – November 14th

Resistance 2 – November 28th

SingStar ABBA – November

PlayStation Portable:

God of War: Chains of Olympus Platinum – October 17th

PlayStation Network Collection: Power Pack – October 24th

PlayStation Network Collection: Puzzle – October 24th

Buzz! Brainbender – November 14th

LocoRoco 2 – November 21st

PlayStation 2:

SingStar Boy Bands vs Girl Bands – October 17th

Buzz! Junior Ace Racers – October 24th

SingStar Singalong with Disney – November 7th

SingStar ABBA – November

Im not happy with the lack of SOCOM on that list or that we have to wait an extra 3 weeks for Resistance 2 while the yanks are sitting playing it.

bummer we have to wait an extra week for Resistance 2 I thought it was 21st...thinking of getting GoW for trip to france over half term...only £12.99 from play.com

Brilliant news about the PSP firmware...also pretty good new additions to the PS3 firmware as well...

Maybe we dont have to wait afterall :)

Sony has clarified to Eurogamer that dates seen earlier for Resistance 2, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and SingStar Vol. 3 are not set in stone.

The leaked schedule appeared on MCV, and claimed that MotorStorm 2 and SingStar Vol. 3 would be out on 14th November. Then, we were told, Resistance 2 would be released on 28th November.

Also of interest were dates for LocoRoco 2, listed for 21st November, and SingStar Singalong with Disney for 7th November on PS2. What? It's got Lion King in.

Flameboy I highly recommend picking GoW up, its simply a fantastic PSP game. Speaking of PSPs does anyone know when the PSP 3000 is due out? I thought it was this week but Amazon, Gameplay and GAME havent got the thing listed at all.

yeah for 12.99 can't go wrong!

As far as I know PSP 3000 is this week...

Thats what I thought, may give GAME a ring tomorrow and see what the deal is.

perhaps its because its just a new model not an actual revamp...but then nah that cant be right its a new SKU..hmm i dunno...

Don't mind waiting for SOCOM so I can give LBP a bash, might wait to buy Resistance 2 until I get the headset or could bag it and not play online.

Don't mind waiting for SOCOM so I can give LBP a bash, might wait to buy Resistance 2 until I get the headset or could bag it and not play online.

yeah good thing with it is you can still get EXP in single player that will still benefit you in multiplayer...

My purchase of Resistance 2 will prob be delayed until xmas or my birthday (4th jan) anyway.

Only coz of Gears of War 2 bein out early November and i want to enjoy both of the games to the full!

My purchase of Resistance 2 will prob be delayed until xmas or my birthday (4th jan) anyway.

Only coz of Gears of War 2 bein out early November and i want to enjoy both of the games to the full!

Blasphemy in the PlayStation forum!!

Played the Bioshock demo....kinda made me feel uneasy (in a resi 1,2) way so stopped playing. Those creepy, atmospheric games just aint for me I guess. Wonderful setting though!

Saint's Row 2 doesn't have trophies included, read it on PS3Fanboy.

Wow quicker than we thought - update on the 15th!

Announcing PS3 v2.50 and PSP v5.00 System Software Updates.

The next system software updates for both the PLAYSTATION 3 and PSP will be available tomorrow! Here's a quick rundown of the great new features that we'll be able to enjoy from 15 October 2008:

PS3 System Software version 2.50

Improved Official Bluetooth Headset wireless headset support, including an on-screen indicator that shows volume, battery charge, and mute functions.

Bluetooth Headset Wireless headset High Quality (HQ) mode, which utilises advanced wireless technologies and the headset's dual-microphone design to enable clear and wide-band wireless voice communication with PS3 system.

An in-game screenshot capture tool - titles that support the feature will be announced in the future.

PS3 Trophies user interface enhancement - When players acquire a Trophy, the in-game notification will now include the specific Trophy icon created by the developer, while more intuitive options for comparing Trophies with friends have been added, including an icon to represent each Trophy level.

Video – Video scene search functionality will provide thumbnails to help you find a particular scene in a video more easily.

Information Board – The Information Board will be able to include direct links to PlayStation Store, making it easier for PS3 owners to download content that they read about on the Information Board.

Power save – PS3 owners will have the option to automatically shut-off their console or controllers after pre-selected periods of inactivity.

Flash 9 content becomes supported on the Internet Browser.

PSP System Software version 5.00

Direct PlayStation Store access to the system - PSP owners will be able to download games, demos, trailers, and other game-related content anytime and anywhere that their PSP is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi - no PC or PS3 required.

On-screen keyboard – A full-size, on-screen keyboard will be added to make text entry during Web browsing easier and more convenient.

Sleep timer – During music playback, a sleep timer will enable users to shut off their PSP after a specified amount of time.

Video-out – The PSP-2000’s video-out feature will be able to display PlayStation format software (classics titles) at the full-screen size of the TV that the PSP is connected to; the feature will also support interlace displays.

Played the Bioshock demo....kinda made me feel uneasy (in a resi 1,2) way so stopped playing. Those creepy, atmospheric games just aint for me I guess. Wonderful setting though!

You get used to it after about half an hour and then later on it just stops being creepy since you're so powerful. Don't give up if you can push on through.

The latest PS3 firmware update thing has killed my PS3. Sometimes when I turn it on the icons don't show up (the ones that have the spinny circle thing when loading), and even when it does, I choose to load WipeOut and it doesn't work. Fails to load.

What The Fuck...