NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Well I picked mine up today, got Orange Box and Burnout Paradise. Was thinking of getting Uncharted, but thought couldn't beat OB's value (only £35 second hand)...left it downloading the Uncharted demo at the moment...

Love everything about it at the moment....XMB is awesome and great functionality of everything. Loved watching even DVD's on it as they look so much crisper and smoother when upscaled.

So far played Burnout for about an hour and love it, feels like a mix of Need For Speeds most recent versions (Pro Street aside) and Burnout...god it looks gorgeous will have to go get some online games going with guys once I know the city that bit better.

I need some friends though add me! My name is flameboyNE.

I've heard the Orange Box is terrible on PS3 due to its frame rate and loading times.

I'm nearly half way through Half Life 2 and have had zero problems. Finished Portal and played TF2 quite abit as well and it's perfect. The AA is slightly better on the PS3 version which is a bonus. 1up are just a bunch of idiots, everyone has been wondering what they have been smoking.

I've heard the Orange Box is terrible on PS3 due to its frame rate and loading times.

Yeah its better than some reviewers made out...I did hear that they had improved it between review copies and retail copies...

As for my overall PS3 experience I am loving it. It is much better feeling like I have a console that is forward moving and forward thinking console.

Yes Choze does seem to be the most Sony biased person in the world but I can seem some truth in all the things he has said. But I still say it is mostly all potental...but it does have things there such as an attempt at unifying friend lists by displaying your recent opponents and what game they are from on the XMB...I think the inclusion of ingame XMB will help improve this no end.

I have mostly only played Burnout Paradise but am going to get into Orange Box today...

My Dual Shock 3 arrived this morning. Ill give it a whirl later. Need to decide if Im going to buy Unreal Tournament and a head set today.

Anyone got UT?

I'm not sure about UT it is very much a hardcore shooter and I'm not sure if I could hack the pace.

UT3 on PS3 is slower than on PC, so i wouldn't worry too much.

Its strange, i was a super hardcore UT Classic, 2003 and 2004 player... but for some reason i don't want UT3. I can't figure out why.

My Sony fanboy (Zomg Ninty sux, buy PSP and PS3, then when I buy a PSP and text asking to recommend games says "stick with DS" sigh) lol friends are urging me to get it. We had loads of fun with the old Unreal Tournament(s) on PS2, doing hardcore capture the flags, which was really fun.

Plus I seem to be maybe be getting better at FPS's...I mean I used to be pretty shit, and not exactly great, but on Halo Im fucking owning bitches on a regular basis, often best on my team/MVP etc. The number of times Ive had MVP but my team still lost...ugggghhhhh.

The number of times Ive had MVP but my team still lost...ugggghhhhh.

Welcome to my world.

I swear since my trueskill on Live (ie: my one for The Club in the top 200) is pretty high i'm always stuck on the team with people that suck.

It's because of GDC and his comments towards SCEJ i bet.

???

What comments?

???

What comments?

"It's a very interesting and frustrating thing for me to experience because I have been banging the drum about social gaming for a long time, with SingStar, EyeToy and Buzz.

And our Japanese colleagues said that there is no such thing as social gaming in Japan - people do not play games on the same sofa together in each other's homes. It will never happen. And then out comes the Wii".

(Taken from Kotaku)

Ohhh... shakey ground there. Wondered if he was kicked off the boat rather than leaving himself.

"It's a very interesting and frustrating thing for me to experience because I have been banging the drum about social gaming for a long time, with SingStar, EyeToy and Buzz.

And our Japanese colleagues said that there is no such thing as social gaming in Japan - people do not play games on the same sofa together in each other's homes. It will never happen. And then out comes the Wii".

(Taken from Kotaku)

Arg! I'm sick of 'social gaming'. I like locking myself away with a console for an hour a day! That's why I got a PS3...

I'm LOVING Assassin's Creed! It looks awesome on my crappy old TV, I can't imagine how awesome it'd be on an HD. My favourite thing to do so far is go sight seeing!

I'm LOVING Assassin's Creed! It looks awesome on my crappy old TV, I can't imagine how awesome it'd be on an HD. My favourite thing to do so far is go sight seeing!

Super duper mega sweet. Shame about the gameplay.

Please, its not called Assassin's Creed.

Its Assassin's Chores. You may as well be doing the washing and ironing in that game its so boring at times.

The GDC comments would not have been to blame for him leaving, they were either a "Well I'm being kicked out I may as well say it" or a "I know I'm leaving next week have a bit of this". You don't take the desicion to leave a position like that without a bit of thought and the guy's clued up enough to know exactly what he was doing saying that rather than it being a slip of the tongue that lost him his job. I'd say he would of walked rather than being kicked out though, for all the stick he sometimes gets he did damn good stuff for the Playstation machines.

Word round here early this morning were of a big money move to Atari but I haven't heard anything since, certainly an interesting one this.

Is PixelJunk Monsters all that? People are forever raving about it...but it looks abit boring and simple!

I agree with will', the GDC comments might have been a by-product of his leaving but wouldn't have been the cause. Besides, I don't think what he said was that defamatory towards SCEJ.

Buzz!, SingStar and Eyetoy are all European success stories, but no one really foresaw the inroads the Wii and DS would have on making the Japanese market a more social one. Theirs is a completely different gaming culture to the West, a place where cross-game invites are seen as rude and playing online with your colleagues is considered asking for trouble.

I don't think Harrison's comments were calling his employers idiots as they were right, people over there didn't used to play games on the same sofa. All he was saying is that if they had pushed towards social gaming anyway they might have gained a slice of the Wii's current success. They missed the boat, and it's a lesson everyone could learn from.

Purely for Dom, although he probably already knows :)

Who saw this coming? I mean, aside from just about everybody? The countdown has ended and those that signed up for the Atlus Faithful (including myself) were served an email this morning officially announcing the expansion to the award-winning Persona 3, Persona 3 FES! Atlus is releasing the disk as a standalone game, containing both the original P3 with the new episode, higher difficulty level, new personas, sweet costume changes, and much more. P3 FES is heading our way April 22nd, for the low, low price of $29.99! If you haven't played one of the best console RPGs of 2007, now's your chance

EDIT: Awesome news this as I have been watching everything GT has had on it since they first showed it.

http://kotaku.com/360404/sega-marches-valkyria-chronicles-westward

Yep, found out over the weekend what day it was coming. CAN NOT WAIT. FUCK GTA 4 I'll BE PLAYING THIS! :)