N-Europe

We've Not Forgotten About the Hardcore Gamer - Nintendo

jammy2211

http://www.consolegaming.eu/newspost.php?id=411

Well it’s been a torrid few months for even the most diehard Nintendo fan, at E3 they were shunned for the ‘extended’ audience Nintendo has been striving to grasp, as well as being subjected to a year which has seen very little in the way of ‘good’ games on the Wii. However, David Yarnton, general manager of Nintendo UK, has struck back at anyone doubting Nintendo’s loyalty to the hardcore gamer today.

"It's important to know that we're not ignoring the hardcore gamer. They're still very important to us." David said reassuringly, "And Christmas alone we have already catered on the Wii with Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy, and on DS with the Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass."

So although he seems to have forgotten about the past 9 months of boredom, at least Nintendo are aware that some fans are doubting them. Although the guy doesn’t really stress his point very well, it is pretty unjust to criticize Nintendo of forgetting about their core-fans. A quick looks down the line up shows most of the franchises which sold well on GameCube. Combine this with the recent praise of Metroid Prime 3, released last Friday, from both critics and gamers alike still shows Nintendo still have ‘it’. Oh, and you can’t convince me Smash Bro’s Brawl is shaping up anything less then incredible.

So where does this leave us? Well, I’d imagine the doubters are still doubting, but hopefully it can be agreed Nintendo at least have their Christmas line up sorted. I guess the hardcore gamers waiting to waggle their Wii Remote can enjoy the Christmas period and then hope things carry on the build in 2008. Looking at what’s set for release in 2008, personally I’m more worried about how far my wallet can stretch, and so should most Wii owners be. I hope.

Well er, here we go again.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact he even says " I guess the hardcore gamers waiting to waggle their Wii Remote..." shows he is so out of touch with what "hard"core gamers want.

Waggle...Indeed Yarnton, indeed.

That's just what I put in the article, not what the guy quoted. His quotes are in italics.

And come on, waggling is far more hardcore then button bashing :P.

EDIT: The italics didn't come up in my c and p, so I'll edit them in.

How can he say phantom hourglass is aimed at the hardcore? It's such a n00b friendly game!

I disagree with that. Sure, it's being advertised towards females and casual people, but it's one of the most challenging Zeldas I have played recently, especially the Ocean King Temple.

How can he say phantom hourglass is aimed at the hardcore? It's such a n00b friendly game!

Probably because it's deeper than games aimed at the non-hardcore and, inspite of its easier touch screen controls, is very much a typical Zelda game.

Ah, fair shout Jammy...Thought it was a little wreckless for a marketing guy lol.

Hardcore is hillarious. No, don't get me started on the way pre-existing gamers need to justify themselves as being somehow above new gamers with titles that are so in-depth they offer a "better" experience. It's an argument that's becoming as old as the hills.

-Super Mario Galaxy

-Super Paper Mario

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

-Metroid Prime 3

4 "hardcore" games right there that have recently (or about to) come out.

However, those were only the heavily publicized titles by the gaming press. We also have Fire Emblem, No More Heroes and NiGHTS about to come out, too.

Now, the list of other games.

Old:

-Twilight Princess;

-Mercury Meltdown;

-Sonic and the Secret of the Rings;

-WarioWare;

Upcoming:

-Tales of Symphonia: Knights of Ratatosk;

-Disaster: Day of Crisis;

-Mushroom Men;

-Trauma Center: New Blood;

-Soul Calibur: Legends.

I realize that list has plenty of ambiguous/unknown games that not everyone likes, but still, the "hardcore" gamer can still enjoy many of them. And I'm sure there a lot of games I'm not remembering

You can't really say there's a bad selection for the "hardcore" gamer.

And don't get me started on the DS. The list for that one is huge.

EDIT: By the way, I agree with Tapedeck. I don't know what separates a "hardcore" from a "casual" game.

I guess the controls may be more complicated, or maybe said game must come from an established series...

We've not forgotten about the hardcore gamer, we remember them every 10 or so months!

LOL...

He just about admit that Nintendo were all about the casuals this year, and surely the new causuals have to be catered for especially since their probably the ones who saved Nintendo from bowing out the home console scene. With that logic though, I'd probably do the same thing; Nintendo's gems of yester-gen were criminally overlooked - the amount of people who missed/avoided Pikmin pisses me right off.

Ohhhh, this threads temperature is rising already :P.

Can't say there is alot to add at the moment, except the list o what I'd class as 'hardcore' (hate the term) games is already looking pretty sizeable and is growing weekly, so I can't complain.

There's too many ifs and buts though, some people will tell you Smash Bro's is Casual, or that Halo is, or that Guitar Hero is hardcore, or whatever. What happend to games just being fun? :(

Another day, another thread which will no doubt turn into a Nintendo bashing rant by some.

If people feel let down they can buy another console. The Wii is selling more consoles and more software than any other console. Why do I point this out?

Well at first people thought it wouldn't sell, then they said it would be an overnight craze and fade out, which it hasn't. It's still outselling PS3 after the price drop.

Then people said, well it's selling a lot, but it's not selling software. It almost has as many million sellers as the 360 which has been out twice as long. It has 12 million selling games, RE4 being the latest. The PS3 has TWO million selling games.

Now it's selling more systems and more software people are saying, whoa, but the software it sells isn't 'hardcore'. So Nintendo are on top in every way, they make more profit, they sell more systems and they sell more consoles.

But all the facts are being written off because some people refuse to just admit that Nintendo have got it right. It's funny that the 'no hardcore games/hardcore games sell shite' argument has surfaced just a day or so after RE4 passed the million seller mark.

If RE4, Zelda, Red Steel, Metroid Prime, Call of Duty, Mario Strikers etc aren't 'hardcore' what is? If soon to be released titles like Mario Galaxy, BWii, Smash Bros, RE:UC, Zack and Wiki etc aren't 'hardcore' what is? Plus more and more titles like this are being announced all the time - Monster Hunter 3 anyone?

Of course Nintendo haven't forgotten about the "hardcore gamer." Just because the Wii is successful we're seemingly being inundated with poor games that are aimed at them stinking "casuals." Didn't we yearn for this success for the N64 and for the Gamecube? All we could see were all the games Sony got that we didn't... well those games were largely a pile of rubbish that we wouldn't have bought anyway if they had appeared on the N64 and GC.

Bleh, its a pointless argument for us all to get into!

Bottom line is that we are still gettin all the franchises we are used to and we're getting good and less good ones from third parties now too. On the whole, everything looks fine. We don't need a game like Mario Galaxy being released every weekend, if you think thats how it was in the past when "Nintendo solely concentrated on the hardcore" then you'd be wrong. Amazing games were always spread out.

If RE4, Zelda, Red Steel, Metroid Prime, Call of Duty, Mario Strikers etc aren't 'hardcore' what is? If soon to be released titles like Mario Galaxy, BWii, Smash Bros, RE:UC, Zack and Wiki etc aren't 'hardcore' what is? Plus more and more titles like this are being announced all the time - Monster Hunter 3 anyone?

This is not my personal view, but I think any game of a "mature" nature is considered to be more hardcore than the games you've listed. Examples include Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy (official installments), Resident Evil (official installments), Metal Gear Solid and relatively new and/or resurrected franchises such as Assassins Creed, Prince of Persia (latest official installment) and even Bionic Commando all of which are not coming to Wii.

I think these are where the complaints are stemming from, the lack of official series installments on Wii, the very games that are giving consumers reasons to buy an alternative system in the first place.

The only real wildcard in the game franchises i've mentioned above is Grand Theft Auto and that is subject to Rockstar considering Wii a viable platform for their "ultimate" franchise in which its fundamental mechanics (i.e. winning formula) have been designed on traditional platforms. Changing these in favor of motion sensing along with a graphical downgrade would probably be deemed too risky for their prized franchise. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as already evidenced by the phenominal demand for Grand Theft Auto games on traditional platforms...

Examples include Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy (official installments), Resident Evil (official installments), Metal Gear Solid

It depends how you look at it. Talk to pretty much any PlayStation-owning casual gamer, and those will likely be the games most of them own.

Metroid and F-Zero are two highly rated game series which aren't that liked by casual gamers. Surely that makes them much more hardcore than your list?

Then again, you can't categorise thing into two groups when there isn't really a proper definition for any of the things you're grouping into.

This is not my personal view, but I think any game of a "mature" nature is considered to be more hardcore than the games you've listed. Examples include Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy (official installments), Resident Evil (official installments), Metal Gear Solid and relatively new and/or resurrected franchises such as Assassins Creed, Prince of Persia (latest official installment) and even Bionic Commando all of which are not coming to Wii.

I think these are where the complaints are stemming from, the lack of official series installments on Wii, the very games that are giving consumers reasons to buy an alternative system in the first place.

The only real wildcard in the game franchises i've mentioned above is Grand Theft Auto and that is subject to Rockstar considering Wii a viable platform for their "ultimate" franchise in which its fundamental mechanics (i.e. winning formula) have been designed on traditional platforms. Changing these in favor of motion sensing along with a graphical downgrade would probably be deemed too risky for their prized franchise. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as already evidenced by the phenominal demand for Grand Theft Auto games on traditional platforms...

But if people want GTA, GT, MGS and dont want Mario, Brawl, BWii, Mario Kart, RE: UC, Zack and Wicki then WHY THE FUCK HAVE THEY GOT A WII!!!!! We are getting EVERYTHING we've EVER had as Nintendo fans and MORE!! What the fuck are people moaning about?!?!

Its infuriating to read day after day about pretentious wankers on these forums saying "I'm a hardcore gamer and nintendo only make casual agmes and because I'm, better than people who play Brain training I must praise the amazing games on the 360 - shooter after shooter after shooter" - you are small minded and just plain WRONG!

PS When I say "You" I'm not talking about you Petey :)

Yeah I knew that... ***Pats dazzybees Doggy Avatars Head***

I think the only "real" hardcore gamers out there are the ones that spend thousands of dollars/pounds on replacing computer hardware to play the latest games on PC. I know I will be doing that when Duke Nukem Forever releases. I've been waiting ten years for this game, and it when it comes out, DAY 1, i'm gonna replace my entire computer in order to be able play this game in the "high" detail settings comfortably...