Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty excited about this actually!! - I'd not seen any pics until today (I get so behind!) and they look promising. I love Star Trek but have never had the chance to get really into it, maybe when I'm upto date with Smallville!!

Christopher Nolan, director of Batmn Begins and it's rather popular follow up is back from his well deserved holiday and finally speaks up about a possible (make that highly probable) third entry.

"Well ... let me think how to put this. There are two things to be said. One is the emphasis on story. What's the story? Is there a story that’s going to keep me emotionally invested for the couple of years that it will take to make another one? That's the overriding question. On a more superficial level, I have to ask the question: How many good third movies in a franchise can people name? [Laughs.] At the same time, in taking on the second one, we had the challenge of trying to make a great second movie, and there haven't been too many of those either. It’s all about the story really. If the story is there, everything is possible. I hope that was a suitably slippery answer."

"No, really and in truth, I only deal with one film at a time. I find myself sort of protesting this issue a lot. We've never attempted to save anything for a sequel or set up anything for a sequel. That seems improbable to some people because, particularly with "Batman Begins," the film ended with a particular hook [with Jim Gordon showing Batman a Joker playing card announcing the arrival of a new villain in town]. But for me that was just about the excitement of people leaving the theater with the sense that now we have the character up and running. I wanted people to walk away with that sense in their head. You know, that he’s become the Batman in the movie. That's why we had the title come up at the end, because it was "Batman Begins," and it was all very specific to that."

Well ok it doesn't really tell us much but does anyone think it'll disappoint like many of the third parters of superhero franchises? (Spider-Man, X-men, Superman) Or top the all mighty Dark Knight!

I don't really understand comments like this. In the years since he started work on the Batman franchise, he hasn't had one idea for a third film?

Well, isn't he just saying that he doesn't want to rush out any old action-packed story in his head, as that wouldn't be anywhere near as good as TDK? And the fact that he claims to have not left intentional cliffhangers/open-ended bits.

Which is fair enough. But he's a good director, and most likely knows the threequel curse, and rightly focused on one at a time.

I don't really understand comments like this. In the years since he started work on the Batman franchise, he hasn't had one idea for a third film?

I'm fairly sure he's spoken about the third film a lot (I remember reading that he doesn't want the Penguin or Catwoman in it)

I think it's likely he has another project in the pipeline that he's passionate to get started on, perhaps we'll see two films from him before he returns to Gotham.

Is it right that he's not a huge Batman fan anyway? I may be wrong.

I'm sure Jonathan Nolan and David S. Goyer are thinking up ideas as we speak.

Nolan is more than welcome to make another film in the meantime. He's a very talented director and I'm happy to see what else he's capable of these days. I'd much rather that than him being trapped in a passionless sequel contract.

I'd also like a third movie, but I'm a patient fan.

Mark Millar Talks Superman

Mark Millar wants to create an epic 8-hour screen story which will follow the entire life of Kal-El from his birth on Krypton a thousand years ago, until he is the last being left on Earth.

Empire sat down for a chat with comic book writer and creator Millar, the man behind Wanted and the upcoming Kick-Ass, and he filled us in on his pitch for the follow-up to Superman Returns.

Mark has been working closely with a ‘big-Hollywood action director’ – who he refuses to name at this stage – on a pitch for what he is calling the Magnum Opus of Superman stories. His idea is for an 8-hour saga, split into 3 films to be released a year apart, in a Lord of the Rings fashion. Although several other sources have reported similar conversations with Mark, he went into further detail, fleshing out the story arc a little more.

“It’s gonna be like Michael Corleone in the Godfather films, the entire story from beginning to end, you see where he starts, how he becomes who he becomes, and where that takes him. The Dark Knight showed you can take a comic book property and make a serious film, and I think the studios are ready to listen to bigger ideas now.”

“The problem with Superman Returns was like releasing Star Wars in ’77, The Empire Strikes Back in ’80 and then waiting 28 years to release Return of the Jedi, it wasn’t relevant. I understand what Bryan Singer was trying to do, to pay homage to Richard Donner’s original vision, but I think you should pay homage by doing something completely different.”

“I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."

Certainly no-one can ever say that Millar lacks vision and if he and his ‘bigHollywoodaction director’ friend get backing for the project, and we certainly hope they do, it might just prove to be the Godfather of superhero films.

Taken From Empire Online

Is it right that he's not a huge Batman fan anyway? I may be wrong.

*Looks at Memento*

No... the batman franchise should be very happy it got so lucky. He completely revived the franchise and introduced it to many new fans.

I get that, he's brilliant at what he does and it's probably a good thing, but I don't believe that he hasn't even thought about potential ideas for a threequel.

Well, it's Batman, it can't go as deep as his other films can... it's a very limited format, I think he doesn't much care about it, for now... he must be focusing on his other projects.

Hmm that Superman idea sounds a bit too heavy handed. I'm a big fan of Donner's and Singer's versions (don't shoot me!) thy were fun and colourful with a deep emotional punch.

I don't want to see the franchise get Dark Knight'ed and go all apocalyptic, for example

end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers.

I mean no, just no.

Has anyone linked to the new Watchmen trailer yet?. It's seriously awesome how much awesome is in this film. Slightly worried that the trailers are a) giving too much away and b) focusing too much on the awesome, so the non-awesome bits will seem dragged out.

Fuck anyone who gets "bored" by the "non-awesome" bits!

I do feel that it might be giving away stuff, but probs only cause I've read it...the average punter won't get the significance of a lot of it.

'Footloose' 'remake' on the fast track

After Zac Efron's stellar weekend at the box office in "High School Musical 3," Paramount has fast-tracked the remake of "Footloose," according to Variety. The remake will pair Efron with "HSM" director Kenny Ortega, Variety reported, and filming is likely to begin this spring.

Although the original wasn't a musical, the new version reportedly will include songs written specifically for the remake as well as the original's hits. Earlier this month, "Footloose" star Kevin Bacon gave young Efron his blessing, and Efron is pumped about the endorsement.

"It's great," he told MTV News. "I couldn't be more excited. He's the man."

Although Efron dances in "HSM" and will be dancing a lot more in "Footloose," he said he doesn't consider himself a dancer.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!