Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I dunno... I guess I still percieve myself as overweight. I look down and i see this gut regardless of what my weight is. In the mirror it doesn't look bad though.

I guess I just wish i had more muscle but i'm so damn lazy I'll never get my ass to the gym (pronounced Guy-m, Simpsons style)

I'm the same height as you and I'm 10stone, but for you that's a good weight to be just about 11stone! If you lose too much and get to 10stone or less you'll be underweight, which isn't good.

I think for me joining the gym was the money side, I paid £50 for three months, not much to alot of you, but to me being a student, it's a £50 I cannot afford to waste, so it pushes me to go, that and my friend really wants to lose weight so we go quite often! Maybe drag somebody to go with you?

Rarrrr, today sucks. Had one of my Illustration classes this morning, and we have to make an illustration for a crappy poem in a magazine. The poem is about ears. No one in my class has any idea what to do for this one as the poem just sucks (and we barely have any space to work with). Plus we were asked to have a finished sketch today, while we only just started today and the teacher wasn't even around. So I emailed him and asked for a two day extension (which luckily we got)...

And now I'm in our 3 hour long Art History class and we have a different lecturer now... and basically she is even more boring than the previous one, if that's even possible.

Don't know, today just felt sucky, and everyone is feeling down and without inspiration and feels like giving up. Just tired of it all.

If there's one thing I hated about my art course it was Art History....

After three years we've now reached the twentieth century, which we will spend an entire semester on. Probably a time period I don't really like that much, so blergh.

And yet this is the class I get my best grades in, heh.

Ears? Sounds quite interesting, you should do like elephants, who have the biggest ears!

Doesn't really work with the poem sadly (one friend tried but it just didn't work)... which basically makes fun of kids with big or flappy ears. =/

It really just sucks. And we're all just tired of working with these poems I think.

Doesn't really work with the poem sadly (one friend tried but it just didn't work)... which basically makes fun of kids with big or flappy ears. =/

It really just sucks. And we're all just tired of working with these poems I think.

Post the poem, see if we can spark any ideas.

Post the poem, see if we can spark any ideas.

Well it'll be a crappy translation (can't really translate some of these words) and it won't rhyme, but here it is.

Child: 'Mirror mirror on the wall, who has the most beautiful ears in the land?'

Mirror: 'Not him, with his enormous flappy ears, which he can use to clap back and forth with,

not her, with her long ears where you can count a hundred earrings,

but you, you are the most beautiful, with your normal ears.'

Child: 'Thank you, that is just what I wanted to hear.'

:shakehead

Well it'll be a crappy translation (can't really translate some of these words) and it won't rhyme, but here it is.

Child: 'Mirror mirror on the wall, who has the most beautiful ears in the land?'

Mirror: 'Not him, with his enormous flappy ears, which he can use to clap back and forth with,

Hmm I think you are just going to have to take it quite literally, maybe have a child infront of a mirror like snow white. But just have ears around like the ones mentioned?

Hmm I think you are just going to have to take it quite literally, maybe have a child infront of a mirror like snow white. But just have ears around like the ones mentioned?

That's the idea everyone has, which of course is not good enough, heh. We have to be "more original" and stuff, but we don't really feel like we can be with this poem. Oh well... I have two nights to think about it I guess.

*tries to pay attention in class but fails*

Sounds pretty rubbish to me. Can you give it in Dutch, so I can see if there are any interesting metrical things or imagery? (if imagery is the right term to use for such a poem :heh:)

Sounds pretty rubbish to me. Can you give it in Dutch, so I can see if there are any interesting metrical things or imagery? (if imagery is the right term to use for such a poem :heh:)

Heh, not sure what you can do with the Dutch version, but here it is:

Kind:

‘Spiegeltje spiegeltje aan de wand,

wie heeft de mooiste oren van het land?’

Spiegel:

‘Niet hij

met zijn enorme lappe flappen

waarmee hij heen en weer kan klappen,

niet zij

met haar lange lelle bellen

waar je honderd ringen kan tellen

maar jij

jij bent de allermooiste

met je doodgewone oren.’

Kind:

‘Dankjewel,

dat is nou net wat ik wou horen.’

I'd probably take it all left field, like a young mouse with deliberately imperfect ears or something - play around with what "perfect" or "normal ears" are. Beat the poem at it's own game.

That idea sounds really good, because you could do other mice with earrings (being bad ass) and others with big ears, being natural!

I'd probably take it all left field, like a young mouse with deliberately imperfect ears or something - play around with what "perfect" or "normal ears" are. Beat the poem at it's own game.

Hmmm, the idea of a mouse sounds fun (as in, instead of using people using mice). But then again they'd probably reject it because it says "child" in the text, and seeing a mouse could be too confusing for children... But maybe I could give it a try. >.>;

Today I am actually oging to leave teh house without any prior booking! Gonna grab my marked essay ('nother 60%, woop woop I guess) and a pack that I need for my essay. Then I am gonna come back and try to read some book rather than xbox/24.

GO GO GO!

That's where we stayed in sydney. Walk down the road and you get offered drugs, women, and guns, well the guys we were with did anyway, lol. Lovely little hostel though, the original backpackers if I remember rightly *reminisces in mind*

Good work Spennoooo, we need to have a race for who can leave first! Please let it be me, lawl.

Haha, yeahp, figured it would be spenno's cup of tea. I stayed in a couple of hotels - the fancy 5-star one at one end of the street and one 'round the corner, near that underground supermarket place. I got offered whores and drugs all the time. Also got a haircut and refused a tattoo :(

Get your ass to the mainland boy, we're hitting the gym! (...or not...).

If only we had N-E gym groups :(

YES! That would be excellent :D

5 Foot 11 and 3/4!

I was happy at 10 stone 6... but the shitty thing is my body just want to gain weight. Its bs.

You suck. You're the exact height as me and you're like a stone heavier. I've never been lighter than 10 stone 6.

About this diet stuff: I'm just over 11 stone, and I'm only about 5 foot 9, so I is teh small. Does this make me a fatty?

You didn't seem fat in the slightest when I saw you...

Eenuh; maybe have a child playing with toys - like, she is holding a mirror and a toy with bad ears and saying that toy's ears are better than the other two toy's ears; which are shown heaped/discarded in teh background/aside/whatever. Toys can be dolls/teddy bears/anything that exemplifies the ears? Not the clearest idea ever...

Heh, not sure what you can do with the Dutch version, but here it is:

Kind:

‘Spiegeltje spiegeltje aan de wand,

wie heeft de mooiste oren van het land?’

Spiegel:

‘Niet hij

met zijn enorme lappe flappen

waarmee hij heen en weer kan klappen,

niet zij

met haar lange lelle bellen

waar je honderd ringen kan tellen

maar jij

jij bent de allermooiste

met je doodgewone oren.’

Kind:

‘Dankjewel,

dat is nou net wat ik wou horen.’

Well, the only difference is that there are cheesy rhymes, but at least that means it kind of works. The basic message is sort of common in fairytales and the like, that in not being special you are in fact special, but it's hell to think of an picture to match it. I guess you could do some array of weird ears making up a perfect standard ear or something, but that probably wouldn't work.

Anyway, to procrastinate, I made a rhyming English translation:

Child:

Mirror, mirror, on the wall,

who has the prettiest ears of all?

Mirror:

Not him,

with massive ears that flap,

they blow about and start to clap,

Not her,

with all the earrings,

there's near a hundred of the things,

But you,

yours are the prettiest ones,

they're perfect, normal ears.

Child:

Thank you,

That's what I wished to hear.

Only managed an assonance with ears/hear, rather than oren/horen. Damn Dutch plural -en! :heh:

how about

yours are the prettiest ones,

each a perfect, normal ear.

Sounds rubbish when I read it back to myself, mind you. Anyway - OFF OUT I GO.

That's kind of what I wanted, but it breaks the meter a bit too much - "a perfect, normal ear" would be just right but doesn't quite fit properly.

How about going quite surreal and creating a landscape 'kingdom' that you are looking out across, but the landforms and anything else you choose to include are constructed from the shapes you can create from an ear....

earsic5.png

You can get quite a lot of interesting shapes once you break it down, turn them sideways, upside-down, flip them, elongate them etc...

I had a quick play around and to me I can see, the first is just a simple hill, the second to me loks like a hill with clouds passing over and around it, with maybe a rising sun, the third could be a boulder/cloud, and the last, the same hill with a path leading up it....

ear2eb3.png

I'm sure there are more possibilities if you rotate and flip other ways.

And you could create butterflies/birds with ears for wings.

So that could be your 'land' and then in the foreground you could have your characters.

That's probably the path I'd go down anyways...!