NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

I thought it was pretty damn good, the controls do seem a bit slow compared to resi4 wii but the sensitivity can be changed. It is a demo and one which has been around for a long time as its been out in japan for ages so the bugs etc will be taken care of im sure. I cant wait personally.

A developer from the company CD Projekt announced on a Polish games show that Resident Evil 5 PC will be out in the second half of 2009.

Played the demo last night, after dying a couple of times trying to get used to the controls I got trough it and I liked it.

Shiva sucked tough and what´s the deal with the chainsaw guy not killing you in one hit? Most of the suspense of having a guy with a chainsaw chasing you was the dying part...

A developer from the company CD Projekt announced on a Polish games show that Resident Evil 5 PC will be out in the second half of 2009.

CD Projekt Red are handling the PC port? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :p Great developer but they've had some trouble getting their games bug-free...

Gonna try the demo this afty :D Cannae wait!

CD Projekt Red are handling the PC port? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :p Great developer but they've had some trouble getting their games bug-free...

At least it's not UbiSoft.

So any bets that the PC version will not have an exit button?

just like in near every Capcom console to PC game :Þ

Going to download the demo off live tomorrow night..have to admit feeling a bit nervous about it because RE4 is one the best games I've ever played and I really have been quite shocked by what people have thought of the demo..

Well RE4 was probably my favourite GC game and one of my fav ever, and I love the RE5 demo - to me it controls just fine, feels exactly like a natural progression from RE4. As if you would want to aim with the left stick, what is this, Goldeneye on the N64?

Just had my second playtrough, had a way better time with it now that I had my friend playing with me, making Shiva not suck.

It felt like there was more lack of ammo now that we were two sharing it making it more intense.

Speaking of intense, I love those moments where your aiming near point blank with a rifle or shotgun at the axeman or the chainsaw guy and you start reloading.

Panickus Majorus.

Think i've settled on D. Tried A ( basic resi 4 setting ? ) & it didn't feel right. Hope they have more choice in the final game

Type A controls are exactly like RE4 on the Gamecube.

I have a 360 since November, so I'm used to playing Gears of War 1 & 2, so after trying out Type A (for nostalgia sake :heh: ) I went for the default setting, which is Type D and is very much 99% like Gears of War. In fact, I think the only difference might be the reloading. In Gears you reload by hitting RB and in RE5 it's LT+A (they did this to be consistent with RE4's R+B, surely).

Return of RE4's quick 180º turn is welcomed and helps a lot in maneuvering the character.

As for the aim speed thing, it's ajustable in the options and if you set it to "Fastest" it's pretty much the same as RE4. And whenever I mention RE4, I'm talking about the Gamecube, not the Wii.

Even though Sheva is supposed to look after herself, shes a little... Dependant on you when you're around.

This game will be FAR better in co-op. Now I just need to find a co-op buddy :(

Well, if you're referring to Sheva's shitty AI, I agree, but I don't agree on the general point that Resident Evil is better in co-op. IMO RE is a single player game. Having someone on the other side talking into your ear doesn't help the sensation of fear you're supposed to feel playing a survival horror game. Yes, it's more action oriented these days, but it's still survival horror.

Even in solo play, I think Sheva should not be there. In RE4 Ashley was there only about 20% of the time, maybe less.

Anyway, I loved the demo, just too short, expected longer. But at roughly 450 MB I should have expected it. The game is going to be the bomb, RE4 all over again. I hope the game has something in it that looks as nice or better (artistically) than the Castle from RE4.

Type A controls are exactly like RE4 on the Gamecube.

I have a 360 since November, so I'm used to playing Gears of War 1 & 2, so after trying out Type A (for nostalgia sake :heh: ) I went for the default setting, which is Type D and is very much 99% like Gears of War. In fact, I think the only difference might be the reloading. In Gears you reload by hitting RB and in RE5 it's LT+A (they did this to be consistent with RE4's R+B, surely).

Return of RE4's quick 180º turn is welcomed and helps a lot in maneuvering the character.

As for the aim speed thing, it's ajustable in the options and if you set it to "Fastest" it's pretty much the same as RE4. And whenever I mention RE4, I'm talking about the Gamecube, not the Wii.

Yeah, don't know if it's what i've been playing lately but when i tried type A (Resi 4 setting) it just didn't feel right, which, as i said in my full post, i couldn't understand as i thought the Resi 4 controls on the cube were perfect & i did also have it on the fastest setting & i settled on type D but when i went on the following day & gave type A another go, Type A feels spot on & natural.... Wierd !!!

Don't know about everybody else but i've always got to invert Y Axis, i.e push up on stick to look down.

Don't know about everybody else but i've always got to invert Y Axis, i.e push up on stick to look down.

Invert Y Axis just... feels... wrong. :/

I never got the idea of inverting the Y axis, it just confuses the hell out of me. But yeah, I can't wait for the demo to hit the PSN either. What day is it out again? 2nd Feb, isn't it?

Yeah, don't know if it's what i've been playing lately but when i tried type A (Resi 4 setting) it just didn't feel right, which, as i said in my full post, i couldn't understand as i thought the Resi 4 controls on the cube were perfect

To tell the truth Type A wasn't intuitive to me either. Because of precisely having been playing stuff like Gears of War and not playing RE4 in over 1 year and a half/2 years. If I pick up RE4 with the GC controller, I'll probably get used to it again in about 10 minutes, but with the 360 controller I'm too used to something like Gears, so I'll stick with that.

I was just saying they are like in RE4. :heh:

As for this, it's pretty weird with me, because I use inverted Y-axis on the left control stick, but not on the right control stick! :o

First time I ever used a control stick was on N64, first FPS I played on that was Turok, and that had inverted Y-axis and you couldn't change it. Something like Top Gun on the NES has inverted Y-axis also and so it just feels natural to me. BUT, it feels natural on the left hand, be it a stick or the D-pad.

When using dual-analogue, in which the right stick controls the view, then I don't use inverted Y-axis. It's very weird, I know, but hey, I can't explain it.

In RE4 on the GC you aim with the left stick and it is inverted Y-axis. So whoever says inverted Y feels wrong, have you ever played RE4 on the Cube? It's inverted and not optional. :heh:

When I tried RE5 with Type A controls I had to invert the Y-axis. But when I try with Type D it has to be not inverted. :heh::o

Inverting axis isnt that weird, I used to do it I think... Just think of it as pushing up to lean forward and pushing down to lean back, then it makes sense. A bit.

Alots of RE5 news:

Resident Evil 5 Hidden Message on Xbox live

What the hell is that….

gedc1965-300x225.jpg

Ok, so I just got done getting my ass handed to me on Street Fighter 2 HD and decided to watch some Major Nelson. This week on Majors Minute he was speaking about RE5 on Xbox Live. Then Half way through the video this screen pops up for about 5 seconds. At first I thought it was just a web address. So I typed it into Firefox, nothing. Then I thought maybe its a code on XBox.com/RE .. nope nothing… So what is it? Of coarse RE5 comes out on 3-13-09 ..but the numbers on the shot say 013009 so what is that? Shift 5? is that a reference to Shift F5. I don’t know, do you? Tell us what you think….

Edit- seems if you go to xbox.com/re5 and hit shift+5 it loads some flash animation and some snarling sounds. Guess we’ll have to wait until 01/30/09

Review embargo from Empire magazine.

5 stars:

In many ways, Resident Evil 5 feels like a ‘greatest hits’ spanning the series’ 13 years of terror. As well as marking the return of Chris Redfield – a key player in the first adventure back in 1996 – and featuring the playful balance of indoor and outdoor locations that characterized the PlayStation sequels, RE5 is also peppered with the genuinely distressing movie sequences that punctuated Code Veronica and team-based challenges that defined Outbreak, all wrapped in the glorious visuals and intuitive controls that helped reboot the franchise in Resident Evil 4. In short, for anyone who spent their formative console years up to their neck in zombie guts, man-eating moths and betentacled horrors, RE5 is a sublime joy.

Like its hallowed predecessor, RE5 plays fast and loose with the series’ conventions, shifting the action from the familiar streets of an American city to an African landscape of crumbling villages, barren countryside and twisting shanty towns, once again breathing new life into the familiar franchise. But while the new setting is a major departure for the series – and has been a heated source of banter on fan forums – what sets this adventure apart from its forebears is its double-headed action.

While alternative characters have always been a part of Resident Evil, RE5 goes a step further by having a computer-controlled companion by your side at all times, in turn bringing new possibilities to the action; as well as lending a helping hand during gun battles – and being a constant source of frustration when you have to step in and save your partner from being eaten alive – the addition of a second character allows for new co-operative moves and two-person challenges, whether it be giving your friend a leg-up to climb over walls, keeping zombies at bay while your accomplice barricades open doors, or picking off distant enemies with a sniper rifle as your companion uses a handgun to perforate nearby monsters.

But while the new co-op gameplay is fun while playing alone – and your computer-controlled companion does a reasonable job of looking after herself while you get on with the important business of monster mashing – where the dual gameplay really comes into its own is online, allowing a second player to remotely join the adventure and share the horror. And like a George A Romero zombie flick where the human drama of survivors working together to overcome overwhelming odds is just as important as the shocks and gore, having a living partner by your side makes for a much more gripping experience, forcing players to look after each other and watch each other’s back, rather than being solely driven by a greedy sense of self-preservation.

Aside from its two-headed set-up, RE5 is largely business as usual, with puzzle solving, tense combat and ammunition preservation forming the backbone of the action. Destructible environments that allow enemies to smash through walls, smarter monsters who’ll use flanking techniques to corner you and tighter camera angles that add a fresh sense of claustrophobia go a long way freshening the experience, but RE5’s greatest triumph is taking a beloved franchise and polishing it to within an inch of its life, in turn producing 2009’s first killer game and a title that will delight habitual gorehounds and newcomers alike.

Reviewer: David McComb

I'm not too keen on the co-op play of RE, at least not for a 1st playthrough. I wanna solve the game puzzles myself. Imagine you're playing co-op and your partner solves all or most of the puzzles before you do. It would be frustrating. They should have kept RE a lonely experience. Just because Gears is co-op, don't mean RE gotta follow in its footsteps.

I'm not too keen on the co-op play of RE, at least not for a 1st playthrough. I wanna solve the game puzzles myself. Imagine you're playing co-op and your partner solves all or most of the puzzles before you do. It would be frustrating. They should have kept RE a lonely experience. Just because Gears is co-op, don't mean RE gotta follow in its footsteps.

Yeah i definately agree. Played the demo i've gone completely off this game. Game feels slow, unresponsive (it feels like you're shooting pebbles at the enemies), the AI is awful (I assume the game will have better AI than the demo because i wanted to see the 'getting chainsawed' animation so stood still for about 20 seconds and mr chainsaw stood with me, couldn't believe it).

Oh and fuck the bitch that's with you, i want to play the game alone I don't care for having someone else with me. I'd rather play Gears of Left4Dead if i want co-op. Argh. It seems like the only reason she's there is because they've increased the number of bad guys on screen so they just thought they'd add her. Hmmm at this point I kinda feel Dead Space is a better sequel to RE4 than RE5 is lol.

Meh, nothing wrong with the co-op... you can still play singally and Shiva will be a.i controlled so it's no huge issue, the guns feel fine and I'm sure playing it will feel like second nature once it's released, as for the chainsaw guy, I'm sure it's possible to get decapitated by him, if not in the demo then in the final game.

The online co-op will add a lot to the game and it's something that the series has been crying out for, so you're not 'alone' anymore it doesn't matter, for a lot of Resi 4 you had to drag Ashley around with you, the only difference here is that Shiva is there for most of the game but is actually semi-useful lol.

One thing I would really like to see in it though as regards to multiplayer goes, is mercenaries mode with online co-op, now that would be awesome. ^^

Oh and fuck the bitch that's with you, i want to play the game alone I don't care for having someone else with me. I'd rather play Gears of Left4Dead if i want co-op. Argh. It seems like the only reason she's there is because they've increased the number of bad guys on screen so they just thought they'd add her. Hmmm at this point I kinda feel Dead Space is a better sequel to RE4 than RE5 is lol.

Please tell me that wasn´t a typo because a combination of those two might make a game so awesome that it would pierce reality.

5GB install for PS3 apparently. Capcom should sort this out, there game installs are a bit on the heavy side

^ And I doubt it's very necessary, much like every other PS3 game install. I have to admit I haven't noticed any improvement on loading as a result of it so it just seems kind of useless.