NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

Can you tell her to leave you to do the job yourself because this is meant to be a survival horror game?

In my opinion RE4 and RE5 are closer to an action horror then a Survival horror game.

The old ones definitely Survival Horror, the last two ones not as much.

Also Aimless, could you explain a bit further how to command sheva effectively?

Not really, as that's pretty much all there is to it!

If you hold B/Circle then you can choose between Cover and Attack modes via the d-pad: cover is the default mode where she'll stick close to you and mainly use her pistol, Attack makes her a tad more adventurous and eager to bring out the literal big guns and grenades. Other than that you can press B/Circle when prompted to have her interact with objects — like the moveable bookcases — or pick up items. Pressing the button when there's no prompt on screen will make her 'heel', as it were.

She's an AI partner so there's always going to be the odd time when she ends up screwing things up for you, but on the other hand she'll never be as big of an idiot as the ones Matchmaking will find for you. From what I hear from those that have played the near finished version she's actually very reliable.

she's actually very reliable.

That's the main problem I have with the game...

I was judging the controls and not the story. The controls are slow and fidgety. I never really liked the dualshock and this isn't helping.

Dual Shock indeed has always sucked, since the begining. But the Xbox 360 controller is in all honesty the best normal controller ever made, up till now. The design, ergonomy, layout, weight and feel are all impeccable and tasteful. I have the wireless one, so weight includes batteries, it just feels so solid.

And again, the game controls like RE4. If you think this controls bad, then you must also think RE4 controls bad, no two ways around it.

People compare it to Gears of War (which indeed controls faster), but that's like comparing a racing sim with a racing arcader. Of course they feel different, Gears and RE are different types of games, although sharing similarities, just like Forza is different from Burnout.

But the Xbox 360 controller is in all honesty the best normal controller ever made, up till now.

Apart from the D-pad, which is utter shit, fortunately it's not used too heavilly in most standard retail games and we now have the option of purchasing the Fightbox pads for arcade / fighting games, can't wait till those come out. ^^

As for the controls in Resi 5 demo though, everything was fine but... I just wish theywould up the sensitivity a bit, after playing Resi 4 with IR controls <3 Resi 5 feels just a bit slow. :/

Apart from the D-pad, which is utter shit

Yeah, I agree. But it's fine if it's used for switching weapons, like it's used in Gears, RE5, Oblivion, etc. Honestly, I think the last controller that had a good D-pad is the N64 controller (and maybe now the Wii Classic Controller, never tried it).

After that, they all suck. The only explanation I can come up with for the Xbox D-pad being the way it is, is because of some copyright issue that doesn't allow them to do it anything like Nintendo's. Nintendo makes the best D-pads (except the GC), and they must have that style copyrighted.

As for the controls in Resi 5 demo though, everything was fine but... I just wish theywould up the sensitivity a bit, after playing Resi 4 with IR controls <3 Resi 5 feels just a bit slow. :/

THIS is most, including my, issue with the controls. I had played the ps2 version of RE4, and initially found it weird but got used to it. After the wii version, I didnt even know how I managed with the former.

Figuring out that you can easily switch weapons using the dpad was a godsend for my latest playthrough though. The control scheme is not as badly designed as it first appears, although I really do hate having to hold L2, then press R1 to use the knife. Feels a bit uncomfortable.

As for the demo on a whole, I think I judged it unfairly when I first played through. It's SOOOO much more fun when playing with a mate. Seriously. If you dont have ps3 headset, then use something like skype as this also really adds to the experience. Reminds me *almost, I must stress* of a MUCH slower version of left 4 dead. I am now, finally, really looking forward to the release of this game.

Yeah, if this had IR controls I would get it twice.

After playing it a few times again, the game seems more and more fun, I guess im getting used to the controls. Though i do have some connection issues which are annyoing and persist even after changing to wired connection.

After playing it a few times again, the game seems more and more fun, I guess im getting used to the controls. Though i do have some connection issues which are annyoing and persist even after changing to wired connection.

Heh, should just join my hosted games then :) Only worry I have with this game is getting someone to join me every time I play, and then, it has to be someone with half a brain to boot. Atm, only got one friend getting this game so it may get a bit awkward continuing when he is not around.

The IR controls are a non-issue, you just have to get past that. RE5 has had so much anticipation since it was first announced and we all knew it would not have IR controls. So why the surprise now? I really don't get it. Were you fooling yourselves this whole time?

"Ooh, it will be awesome, I'll plug my wiimote in the 360 and play it just like RE4-Wii, it will be awesomez!"

And when the demo comes out:

"What!? You have to use the STICKS??? This sucks! Capcom fooled me this whole time!"

See how ridiculous it sounds? :indeed:

Sounds like the media server issues i had when i first got my PS3. Try disabling those from the XMB

Disabling what? media servers?

I never expected to play with the wii remote, its just a shame that I can't because if I could it would be a marvelous game.

Yeah disable media servers just for a quick test to see if it resolves your connection problems. Could be totally unrelated though

I just wish theywould up the sensitivity a bit, after playing Resi 4 with IR controls <3 Resi 5 feels just a bit slow. :/

Change the aiming speed to Fastest in the options menu. If you want it any swifter than that you must have much better stick control than I.

I never expected to play with the wii remote, its just a shame that I can't because if I could it would be a marvelous game.

I'm exaggerating just to show how ridiculous this backlash is. Before the demo everyone was jerking off to this game and to RE4 as well. Now the demo comes out and suddenly people hate it because it feels "clunky" in comparison with RE4 Wii when it feels exactly like RE4 GC, the game we all loved in the past 4 years? And I don't think RE4 is dated.

Because the demo is "action" and not "action horror". The controls feel clunky with the removal of the horror aspect. The later levels will rectify this slightly, but it won't be horror unless whatsherface loses all her offensive abilities.

Because the demo is "action" and not "action horror". The controls feel clunky with the removal of the horror aspect. The later levels will rectify this slightly, but it won't be horror unless whatsherface loses all her offensive abilities.

i doubt she will, as that would make co-op pretty cack.

to be honest, i recon having her involved might make it more tense, especialy wehn ammo is scarse.

once again i go back to the cabbin deffence in resi 4, one of the tensest moments in modern video games. despite having luis by your side, it was still the eppitomy of horror.

it won't be horror unless whatsherface loses all her offensive abilities.

This sentence makes no sense... :wtf:

I agree the demo doesn't show horror, but whatsherface having less offensive capabilities would not make it more horror. Horror is about setting. If the exact same scenarios from the demo took place at night during rain (like the mentioned cabin siege in RE4) it would be more horror. Or if there were some disturbing elements throughout the environment, like corpses, torture chambers, more darkness and partial lighting. And disturbing scary music,

Your partner's ability to fight has nothing to do with the horror element.

If the exact same scenarios from the demo took place at night during rain (like the mentioned cabin siege in RE4) it would be more horror.

I mentioned levels/setting. Her fighting ability feels too much like she's protecting you. Whereas Luis (at that point in the game) is just fending for himself. Ashley helped bump up the tension because you had to look after her.

Ashley helped bump up the tension because you had to look after her.

Yes, but do not mistake tension with horror, they're not the same. Any stealth game is filled with tense moments where you're about to be discovered. It's not horror.

Original RE games you had no one to protect. They were horror.

This sentence makes no sense... :wtf:

I agree the demo doesn't show horror, but whatsherface having less offensive capabilities would not make it more horror. Horror is about setting. If the exact same scenarios from the demo took place at night during rain (like the mentioned cabin siege in RE4) it would be more horror. Or if there were some disturbing elements throughout the environment, like corpses, torture chambers, more darkness and partial lighting. And disturbing scary music,

Well yeah it does! At the very least, if you were having to worry about protecting your collegue [like ashley], on top of fending off everyone, at least it would make the experience somewhat tense!

Yes, but do not mistake tension with horror, they're not the same.
At least some tention would help rekindle some kind of a scary Resi feeling; as opposed to all out action gun slinging!

Yes, but do not mistake tension with horror, they're not the same. Any stealth game is filled with tense moments where you're about to be discovered. It's not horror.

But tension massively increases the impact of the horror (hence why the controls worked in RE4 - they beefed up the tension and therefore the horror).

Well yeah it does! At the very least, if you were having to worry about protecting your collegue [like ashley], on top of fending off everyone, at least it would make the experience somewhat tense!

No, it doesn't. You're talking about tension, thrills, not horror. The scene in RE4 where you control Ashley is scary as shit. It is tense because you're suddenly controlling a little girl after hours of controlling a heavily armed cop. But it's horror because you're being chased relentlessly by ghost knights in the dark! You're running in a tight corridor hearing those approacing heavy footsteps, coming at you faster and faster, louder and louder. That's horror! And it would be just the same if you were controlling Leon in stead of Ashley, because it's a horror setting.

But tension massively increases the impact of the horror (hence why the controls worked in RE4 - they beefed up the tension and therefore the horror).

Of course. Horror doesn't exist without tension. But tension exists without horror. That's my whole point. They're not the same, because one can exist without the other. Tension is a part of horror, but horror is not necessarily a part of tension.

So, decreasing Sheva's offensive capabilities would indeed up the tension, but not the horror.

well you have your own opinion, but to me, horror means being fearful and scared, and tension gives you this.

Never knowing if something is going to crash through a window/burst out at you from behind a closed door fills you with tension, it makes you feel on edge and makes the game scary! that's horror!