NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

I don't know what everyone was getting annoyed about. I played the demo and thought it was awesome. Only tried it with a friend so far but I thought the split-screen was fine and it really encourages teamwork.

Surprised most people here haven't warmed to it. Changing items/weapons etc can be a bit slow but overall the fun is definetly there to be had.

Just played this with diageo and damn, dwarf is right, the game can be fun but the point in this one is to play with another. REALLY adds to the experience when you actually care about the wellbeing of your partner, and when you know they have your back. Was surprised how much fun it was, and its not hard to setup either. When this game comes out, if anyone feels like parnering me, then let me host as I have a wired ps3 now, and I dont think diageo got any lag connecting to me. Gonna go pre-order this pronto!

Since the PS3 demo is out i think people may contest the added blur by the motion capture equipment they used ;) Its certainly not a soft looking game.

Whats obvious on play through of the PS3 version is the framerate.

but I thought the split-screen was fine and it really encourages teamwork.

I dont know how anyone can defend the splitscreen.

What? On my TV it was perfectly split in half horizontally with no borders...

Just played this with diageo and damn, dwarf is right, the game can be fun but the point in this one is to play with another. REALLY adds to the experience when you actually care about the wellbeing of your partner, and when you know they have your back. Was surprised how much fun it was, and its not hard to setup either. When this game comes out, if anyone feels like parnering me, then let me host as I have a wired ps3 now, and I dont think diageo got any lag connecting to me. Gonna go pre-order this pronto!

It was real fun, at the start i was a bit slow but then after a while i got kinda used to it. It was real intense when we barely had ammo and i had to run after you with some rifle ammo cuz u had the rifle. Great work on the chainsaw guy, all i did was run up and back around him xD

No lag whatsoever, felt like i was playing single player (lag-wise).

If you ever wanna play any of the levels again just send me a message.

If I can get someone to co-op with me then i wouldn't mind buying this.

What? On my TV it was perfectly split in half horizontally with no borders...

On mine i have splitscreen with both players not getting fullscreen. So the game places them diagonally. I'll take a picture.

Game is good in a Mario Kart Double Dash sort of way. I dont knwo why Capcom decided to do coop as an integral part of the game though.

At first I found the controls to be really unresponsive and obtuse. After my third death I was tempted to throw a hissy fit and brand it broken, but I kept with it and then my amazing skills came back from the Resi 4 days and I beat those motherfuckers back until my evac arrived. Oh yeah.

Only problem? Twice Shiva died as I was doing fine just because I couldn't get to her in time. I really don't get why it's game over if this happens - why not just have her 'knocked out' until you can get to her? Eh, it was slightly annoying in the demo, so if it happens a lot in the main thing I can see myself growing to despise her.

I have a few other concerns too (daytime setting, the fact somebody with you will take away the horror aspect entirely, etc) but I'll reserve judgement until I get the full game.

Can't see it ever topping 4 though.

It was real fun, at the start i was a bit slow but then after a while i got kinda used to it. It was real intense when we barely had ammo and i had to run after you with some rifle ammo cuz u had the rifle. Great work on the chainsaw guy, all i did was run up and back around him xD

No lag whatsoever, felt like i was playing single player (lag-wise).

If you ever wanna play any of the levels again just send me a message.

If I can get someone to co-op with me then i wouldn't mind buying this.

Heh, was wondering why you were running around not shooting him for a bit. Yeah, the chainsaw guy bit was intense. Makes me wonder though if its instant death if he connects but i doubt it is after surviving multiple hits from the axe guy in the other part of the demo. I am sold on this game though, and if I didnt have a massive headache, I would play the game again now.

That's the same as in Resi 4 though, if those chainsaw dudes got their ha... er... chainsaw on you then you were losing your head.

That's the same as in Resi 4 though, if those chainsaw dudes got their ha... er... chainsaw on you then you were losing your head.

But in RE4 you were dead if they got anywhere near you. I'm fairly sure that if you tried to run right past them then you died, unlike RE5.

It's true that they had a pretty easy time getting you if you weren't a good dodger.

I know that whenever I saw a dude with a chainsaw, no mattter how many other enemies were around me, I always went for their knees first.

But in RE4 you were dead if they got anywhere near you. I'm fairly sure that if you tried to run right past them then you died, unlike RE5.

True. Makes me wonder why that German review that Dante posted, stated that the AI was outstanding IIRC. That said, maybe the demo is on easy.

I managed to get on this finally today, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. It just feels like someone's reskinned RE4 and added some gloss. And the whole "OMG How the hell am I getting out of this one?!" feeling is gone, and replaced with a shoot shoot shoot, and shoot some more mechanic. I might get it anyway, but I was expecting more.

True. Makes me wonder why that German review that Dante posted, stated that the AI was outstanding IIRC. That said, maybe the demo is on easy.

It must be, surely. Enemies would stop right by you and wait for 2/3 seconds before attacking. If it was like that on normal or above - ouch.

I managed to get on this finally today, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. It just feels like someone's reskinned RE4 and added some gloss. And the whole "OMG How the hell am I getting out of this one?!" feeling is gone, and replaced with a shoot shoot shoot, and shoot some more mechanic. I might get it anyway, but I was expecting more.

i imagine that the how will i get out sections will make a return, the problem with the demmo was that the areas wer big enough you could always escape.

i imagine that the how will i get out sections will make a return, the problem with the demmo was that the areas wer big enough you could always escape.

I was thankful the areas were like this as it gave me ample to fight with the controls, in an effort to eventually do what i wanted to do.

I was thankful the areas were like this as it gave me ample to fight with the controls, in an effort to eventually do what i wanted to do.

Also the controls were clunky to the point of making me wonder if anything gameplay-wise had been majorly updated. That said I never actually bothered to try out any of the other control schemes so I'll shut up now.

Just completed both 'levels' online and it was very fun. Running away, cracking the chainsaw guy in the face with the rifle, uppercutting him and feeling badass. I wish I was Chris :(

Not the situations he's put in I hastily add. The bosses/tough guys are what make the game. If it was just killing scores of the Africans it would get boring probably.

I found it a bit tame how you can easily sidestep the axes that are thrown at you, it's pretty much slow motion.

Other than that it looks great. The only gripe I have is getting items out/giving items to the teammate. Too difficult in the heat of shooting.

Just played this online on both levels and kept getting disconnected after the axe guy appeared. The shanty town worked fine though.

This really is a co-op game, way more fun than single player and if I bought it I probably wouldn't play it alone ever.

I am really bad against the chainsaw guy in this game, i just let my parter get him while i shoot some africans. XD

The AI is pretty crap, I walked in front of the guy hiding under the stairs in shanty town, aiming at his head as he looked around oblivious to me. Took him like 10 seconds to notice me.

On mine i have splitscreen with both players not getting fullscreen. So the game places them diagonally. I'll take a picture.

Like this?...

Owch! Yeah that is pretty poor. Is it something to do with having a widescreen TV? I have a box SD and it's split normally.

After waiting god knows how long for the download to finish, it was probably just me, but I felt like the game was shit.

It's my opinion, I thought why can't I at least walk forward whilst wielding the knife. Yeah I haven't played any previous games, this demo didn't really give me the urge to go and play them though.

Graphically it was awesome, apart from the cut scenes which seems to have the shittest frame rate ever.

^If you haven't played any previous games I don't think this is for you. It's a game that mostly people who played RE4 at the time are hyped for, because RE4 at the time was widely regarded as one of the greatest action games ever created (and anyone who didn't play it back then sorely missed out, big time)

Problem is going by my own experience with the demo it doesn't even properly cater to the audience it's aimed for. The control schemes all feel a awkward and like a step down from before, the new changes to the formula only serve to take away from the experience (real time inventory, constantly having to interact with AI partner) and eh...I just didn't find it fun.

I could go back and play through the Wii port of RE4 now and still have a blast but I got so bored with the RE5 demo in such a short time. I'm a hardcore RE fan, have been since the psx titles and have bought most of the titles since then on release. I don't think I'll be buying this at all unless the full game ends up far more refined, or maybe I'll consider it at a budget price later.