NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

But i do miss thee ole Resident Evil 1 style. But why complain? They both have moments equally filled with suspense.

there was a big deal made about making things scary in the light.

i seem to recall it being more about not knowing whats coming, and maybea sort of hotel rowanda feel, hundred of crazys ina bloody lust trying to rip you to shreads.

resi 4 managed to make a day scene scary, the arival off the first chainsaw guy for example.

Yeah but Resi 4 had a very different setting for it's daytime scene. Firstly it was a cold, overcast day and you'd just traipsed through a creepy wood, after watching your ride speed away in fear, only to career down into a river!

Having bright sunlight in Resi 5 imo makes it a very different experience and not a scary one.

If you think in terms of Gears of War 1, when you fight the enemies in the large open daytime levels, like Chapter 4 for example, it's exciting 'come get some' gameplay and not in the slightest bit scary.

But switch to the start of chapter 3 when you arrive at the power station in the middle of the night, during a lightning storm; it's those same enemies you're fighting, but this time the atmosphere... dark, lightning flashes, rain, the quiet, the sudden noises, the unknown and unexpected... all these things makes for a far more tense experience.

Though that's not to say Resi 5 won't have any tense/scary moments, it might, it's just there isn't much evidence of them yet!

I think we need to realise how little of RE5 we've seen so far... Lets hold our judgements till March 13th.

I think we need to realise how little of RE5 we've seen so far... Lets hold our judgements till March 13th.
I think we may have seen quite a lot of the locations, if you look at all the trailers, but maybe not.

Though outside of cutscenes, I think I'm yet to see a night-time screen!

New scans:

1bio.jpg

1bio2.jpg

1bio3.jpg

1bio4.jpg

1bio5.jpg

1bio6.jpg

Some of the pictures remind me of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I think we may have seen quite a lot of the locations, if you look at all the trailers, but maybe not.

Though outside of cutscenes, I think I'm yet to see a night-time screen!

Viral Campaign Episode 2: Date

Those viral campaigns make no sense.

Viral campaigns are set after RE:5 and chris has post-traumatic stress disorder.

Is that in response to my post?

They're not night-time scenes, they're 'grey-time' scenes! you can still see everything!

Night as in...

or

or

itemcollect6640wdr9.jpg

IMO Resi has headed in completely the wrong direction with the benefit of next-gen systems.

It should be using the dark to evoke tension and fear, through blackest of blacks. Using next-gen lighting techniques [lightning or what-have-you] to give you glimpses of things, make you think you saw something, play tricks on the mind etc... using the darkness, weather, shadows and light.

Like how Gears of War Ch3. starts off, only taken up 10 notches!

You calling night-time boat attack at the end grey-time?
Well you can certainly see a lot of the sea! Compared to when you had to cross back across the El Gigante lake in Resi 4 and you could see only what the lit torches and lightning allowed you to see.

And anyways, that's just a boss fight section that'll last for about 10 minutes. You know what I'm saying; with next-gen hardware + the Resi series, the entire game should be edge of the seat scary!

So the BBFC gave it an 18 eh? I'd say it was more 15 from what I've seen in videos but oh well.

So the BBFC gave it an 18 eh? I'd say it was more 15 from what I've seen in videos but oh well.

We only saw alot Japanese gameplay footage.

look, retro, i think your being to hasty to decide that resi 5 is going in the wrong direction. you mention the light isnt scary, or that theres no night in the game. am i missing somthing and you've actualy seen the whole game already?

when i first saw resi 4, i thought "i'll not be able to play that, it looks like you'l get a firght every few seconds!" but turned out it didnt relly on the shocks at all. one of the most tense/scary scenes in the game was the cabbin fight with lewis. yes, it was at night, but it wasnt the night that made it scary the cabin was pretty well lit, it was the relentless, overwhelming and seemingly endless enemys, the dwindeling ammo and the hoplessness of the situation.

im not debating that darkness can make things creepy. im just saying, its not the be all and end all of fear. i havent been afraid of the dark in years.

and solo, i guess it has some rather grissely bits later on.

look, retro, i think your being to hasty to decide that resi 5 is going in the wrong direction. you mention the light isnt scary, or that theres no night in the game. am i missing somthing and you've actualy seen the whole game already?

when i first saw resi 4, i thought "i'll not be able to play that, it looks like you'l get a firght every few seconds!" but turned out it didnt relly on the shocks at all. one of the most tense/scary scenes in the game was the cabbin fight with lewis. yes, it was at night, but it wasnt the night that made it scary the cabin was pretty well lit, it was the relentless, overwhelming and seemingly endless enemys, the dwindeling ammo and the hoplessness of the situation.

im not debating that darkness can make things creepy. im just saying, its not the be all and end all of fear. i havent been afraid of the dark in years.

and solo, i guess it has some rather grissely bits later on.

I'm just quite surprised that every scene so far shown of the game is within daylight hours.

I think it'll be an enjoyable game, but I just think given the potential of these next gen systems they could be delivering something so much more and potentially redefining the genre yet again.

I think it's a clever move to start the game of in the day. Makes it all the scarier when the sun goes down.

I'm going to give this a chance. I think a lot of people are being overly critical over minor things, when overall the game still looks extremely solid, and it's blatantly obvious they are putting a lot of effort in. All the same i'll be waiting for the final product to make a judgement.

this talk of light not being scary is bullshit. You know what is pretty well lit? that scene in Aliens when thexenomorphs attack the survivours. That scene is insanely tense.

this talk of light not being scary is bullshit. You know what is pretty well lit? that scene in Aliens when thexenomorphs attack the survivours. That scene is insanely tense.

IMO, the bigger issue (in the demo) is that you fight what seems to be normal people with tiny tentacles in their mouth. In RE4 they still seemed zombified.

The darkness thing could actually be the fact that most of the enemy are Black, if you've got a long night scene, it wouldn't really be 'tense' but just annoying. Remember these 'zombies' move as fast as Hunters, now imagine hearing a Hunter approaching but you can't see a damn thing... annoying. You should look at the continent of Africa during night and see how many little lights there are lol.

Anyway Capcom wanted to make sharp contrast with light and darkness so I'm sure there will be a lot of shadow usage.

I think if they hadn't evolved the storyline, setting & zombies people would still complain. ie:- Why is it always at night, in a scary mansion/village/town & why are the zombies so old fashioned, slow & shuffling, why can't they be like the zombies out of 28 days later. Why don't they try something new?? Same old tired formula etc.. etc..

I'm a big Resi fan & am going to give this a chance before i'm qualified to pass opinion. If it's anything like as playable & enjoyable as Resi 4 i'll be happy.

If i remember rightly a lot of people wern't happy with the setting & zombies in Resi 4

Just downloaded the new video for this on XBLM, (TGS 2008 video ) Wow it's got me hyped for this game.

U.S. Resident Evil 5 Collectors Edition

The Resident Evil 5 Collector's Edition comes with:

* Chris Redfield Figurine

* Tricell Messenger Bag

* BSAA Patch

* Kijuju Keychain

* Bonus Disc

* The game and bonus disc come packed in a Special Collector's Steel Book Case.

270301_bonusLG.jpg

200572_bonusLG.jpg

colectors editions are pretty nice, but ultimatly, its the game i want, not little toys. making of disks are usualy one of those thing i ignore, wanting to watch but never finding the time.