N-Europe

Is global warming a good thing for the UK?

KKOB

Well, there is always the possibility of the ice caps melting into the gulf stream, which will stop it, and then the sea (forgot what it's called) will freeze over. Making us even colder than Canada.

So we will probably freeze, or if that doesn't happen, we won't be able to get supplies easily anyway.

Source - Science teacher XD

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I´ve been wondering about denying the global warming... Does it really matter if the threat is real or not?

Should we just decide not to act in any way and then in couple decades regret the fact that we didn´t do anything when we still had a change? Of course there is always a (very slight) possibility that climate change is just natural and we have no control over it but can we really risk everything because of that little possibility?

Just thinking...

You live in Finland, be glad for global warming.
It´s not that cold here...

POLAR BEARS EVERYWHERE!!!1!!

But yeah, in short term it will propably benefit Finland but in long term it´s not a good thing for any country.

One thing I´ve been wondering about denying the global warming... Does it really matter if the threat is real or not?

Should we just decide not to act in any way and then in couple decades regret the fact that we didn´t do anything when we still had a change? Of course there is always a (very slight) possibility that climate change is just natural and we have no control over it but can we really risk everything because of that little possibility?

Just thinking...

Saving energy and finding alternatives for the consumption of oil which A) Is going to run out and B) We have to buy from countries who have questionable leadership and who can hold us to ransom with their reserves is a good thing anyway, even if you think the idea of global warming was created by a big conspiracy in an underground volcano lair.

If it's due to global warming that it has rained every day for the last month and a half then it has a bloody ironic name.

It's been warm and wet. Heat causes evaporation -> rain. A generally heating planet doesn't mean everywhere is going to become like California.

It's been warm and wet. Heat causes evaporation -> rain. A generally heating planet doesn't mean everywhere is going to become like California.

yes, but for being a little warm doesn't cause over a weeks worth of terrential rain and massive flood damage does it?

It was one of the hottest ever summers last year, now this year its one of the wettest.

I don't think there's any good things concerning global warming. Anyone doubting global warming as far i'm concerned can eat their hats (or if they find them tasty, something they don't) when the ice caps melt more and britain freezes over and all the polar bears left die out.

No one can really prove that global warming exists though - currently its a theory, since the study of climate is ongoing over thousands of years - not the last hundred or so. Although there seems to be correlation between greenhouse gases and temperature, there isn't enough evidence to show whether this is the cause - or merely an error/a blip. So in short - no one knows. And that's the view backed up by most people who really know about the climate i.e. climate professors.

What people should focus more on is adaptation. What's easier to do?- Reduce CO2 emissions by 50% or not build on a flood plains (which.. duh.. flood). Simple: the latter. Due to the emerging economies of India and China, global GHGs will rise, so rather than futile attempts to stop this - you may as well adapt around it.

"It's a theory" is thrown around outside scientific circles as if it means "guess". Gravity is a theory, evolution is a theory, the idea everything is made up of atoms is a theory. Just as easily bandied about are non-entity arguments like "There's not enough evidence" and "there's not enough data" when there's absolutely hundreds of terrabytes of data available to scientists and the public. There's more data and analysis of that data in regards to climate change than there are for hundreds if not thousands of other (less politically contentious) scientific theories (Bearing in mind again that everything in science is a theory) which people have no trouble accepting the findings of.

The global warming conspiracy nuts who think they're all pulling in the same direction are actually saying completely different things while nodding sagely in agreement with each other, you see it everywhere. One person's saying "There's not enough data about climates from a thousand years ago to draw any conclusions you know" and the other guy chips in with "Yeah, and look, this data here from a thousand years ago proves that it's a natural occurrence." So what you get from that camp is

"Global warming isn't happening and it's only happening because of the sun, I mean because of coming out of an ice age, erm, I mean it's not happening and it's made up by the government to tax us, I mean it's made up by hippies that want the government to collapse, I mean it's not made up but it's not because of man because carbon dioxide doesn't cause global warming, I mean, carbon dioxide does cause global warming but it comes from volcanoes so it's not our fault, and even if it is our fault if we did anything about it all industry would fail and we'd end up back in the stone age, just as was rightly predicted by big business owners when people wanted to get rid of slavery. Plus it's all exaggerated - No, hold on, it's so far gone that it's inevitable and we can't do anything about it so it's pointless to try, one or the other, I forget."

In spite of what the media tells you, the outcome of the biggest, peer reviewed reports on climate change by hundreds of respected climatologists isn't summed up by a shrug of the shoulders and a "Who knows?"

I mean because of coming out of an ice age, erm, I mean it's not happening and it's made up by the government to tax us, I mean it's made up by hippies that want the government to collapse

I have a mental picture of you hunched over your keyboard, cackling to yourself and drooling at the mouth. ;)

Back on topic, the downsides are obviously coastal floods and more cases of heatstroke (but this would probably be balanced out by reduced numbers of frostbite cases!). Upsides are harder to come up with. Certainly this recent weather (warm and wet) has been great for crops.

I have a mental picture of you hunched over your keyboard, cackling to yourself and drooling at the mouth. ;)

Back on topic, the downsides are obviously coastal floods and more cases of heatstroke (but this would probably be balanced out by reduced numbers of frostbite cases!). Upsides are harder to come up with. Certainly this recent weather (warm and wet) has been great for crops.

Apart from the ones that all rotted in flooded fields!

EDIT: THE PEAS! WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE PEAS?!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/6260358.stm

Edit 2: Moar - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6249508.stm

And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2007_United_Kingdom_floods

The floods caused widespread damage to several crops especially Broccoli, Carrots, Peas and Potatoes. In parts of Lincolnshire it was estimated that 40% of the pea crop may be damaged with several other crops suffering major losses to their yield. Prices of vegetables were expected to rise in the following months. [22]

EDIT: THE PEAS! WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE PEAS?!!

Haha. Perhaps next time I won't compare my few square feet of garden to the British farming industry.

Surely fields that weren't flooded are producing a better than normal crop? See if you can find a news item about that. Or about anything even faintly positive. :)

Anyone got any links to proper scientific papers related to the positives of climate change for this country?

Not a scientific paper as such, but I found this interesting:

Interview with Danish Economist Bjorn Lomberg

Quoted:

Q: There are advantages to global warming?

A: Absolutely. I come from Denmark, and there it's pretty cold. The environmental assessment of the impact of global warming in Denmark is that overall it will be slightly positive. We'll have better agricultural production. We'll probably have better forestry. We will, however, also have more flash rain. That will be a negative.

One of the most typical examples we're told is that people will die from heat waves from global warming. That's true. People will die from heat waves. What you really seem to forget is in most advanced countries, the cold deaths outweigh heat deaths two-to-one.

And of course while you will get more heat deaths, you will also get many fewer cold deaths, and actually a research team looking at the cold and heat deaths around Europe estimated that for Britain global warming will mean 18,000 fewer deaths.